AZ Aug trip, common wheelin w us!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its that yukey 4-letter word, "work" (blarg)!! And I'll be starting school soon, so what little free time I did have..... I'm excited to get in on another trip! Maybe if I break my piggy bank, I'll get some Skids before the trip! I'll have to bribe you guys into helping (ok, doing it) for me! :D When I priced them at the dealer's, it was about $300, is that good or is there a less expensive place (o8k-where'd you get yours?)
Did you price all four skids (engine, trans, t-case and gas tank)? If so then that would be roughly $250. If you drop the gas tank skid from the list then it drops to around $150 for the factory skids.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my skid was the all j super skid , it runs about 250, 40 bucks shipping ish. but its very hefty. weather or not its needed over the mopar one, well thats up to u and how u choose to drive. im a fan of drive smart and drive w finesse vs bruit force and gear. i wouldnt mind asisting u in the install if u get somthing. let me know, i have a power drill now, no battery needed, hehehe.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mopar skids

Gas tank - #82206122 - $115.
Front #82209026 - $49.
****** #82209455 - $49.
T-Case #82210003 - $49.

This is from my bill from the dealer from 4/06 before tax. They were for an 05. They probably are the same but you never know. I 'm not sure if I reversed the ****** and t-case part numbers but the part numbers are right (at least for an 05) and that's what you should need unless there was a change. I installed them myself except for the gas tank skid where I had to borrow another set of hands to help hold the hitch and skid in place to thread the bolts. With a little help you'll have them on in an hour.

They will be fine for light to moderate wheeling. You should have tow hooks also just in case. The Mopar ones have all the correct hardware for an easier install. Then you could be dangerous.....:D

You have all the best places to off-road out west. If I was out there, I'd be going every weekend.

Enjoy,
Dave

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the way in NY thats uber far. Was thinking u should make the jurney out here some time.... but wow what a haul =) however, if you ever decide to do a cross country trip for any reason in your future... post up and let us know when you are coming through maybe we can setup somthing to accomidate you for the time you are here or near here,

ive been wanting to explore moab and places in general, north of the grand canyon, North rim is a great place to go, esp if you have the guts to do it in winter when its snowy easy dirt roads passable by passenger car are quite a treck. I did north rim in dec in my VW jetta (shouldnt have) and it was fun, would have been more fun w/ a 4x4 in a group where we could deal w/ situations more advanced than a lone passeger car in the woods =)

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have tow hooks also just in case. The Mopar ones have all the correct hardware for an easier install. Then you could be dangerous.....:D
Enjoy,Dave

Do I need to get the tow hooks now or is it just eaiser to put them on at the same time as the skids? About how much more are we looking at?
Thanks for the info! ;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I need to get the tow hooks now or is it just eaiser to put them on at the same time as the skids? About how much more are we looking at?
Thanks for the info! ;)

OEM front tow hooks, part #82206124 = list for $99 but ask them for a 10% discount = $85 net per my invoice. The dealer did that for me as I've bought OEM stuff there before. It doesn't hurt to ask. These were for my 05 but probably the same for yours. The reason why I say get the OEM ones is because they have special u bolts that make installation easier.

For the rear if you have a hitch just get a bar and schackle. If not you will need a rear tow hook.

You do not have to get the towhooks now but if you were to get stuck you will have no safe attachment points. I would say ideally you should get the skids and hooks and put them on. Better to dent a skid than a ****** and if you do get stuck you can be safely strapped out. (someone with you will have recovery gear)

Dave

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minimedic, So already your going to be bottoming out, wrecking your ****** pan, and getting stuck in the sand =) oh's no's! heck of a trip for ya there =p

AJ Chime in here pls if im off base... but im asuming this trail isnt very treterous and rocky, if its mostly sand, your better off w/ tow hooks than skids, sand is like pillows to your undercarriage. =)

keep in mind i ran back way to crown king (a trail not recomended w/ out a lift kit and full skids) stock, no skids w/ nerf bars (which stayed attached all the way through, despite the many side bets that at least one nerf bar would fall off hehehe) Its all how you drive and what you decide to get yourself into. Tho you cant put a price on piece of mind somtimes. but! w/ a level head, a bit of luck, patience, and a good spotter, yull be fine =) Tho w/ the skids ect... youll focused more on the beauty of the area than the bottom of your vehicle, hehehe. I missed 1/2 of crown king b/c i was under my jeep in my head 1/2 the time vs enjoying the beauty of the trail.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p/s i had to stack rocks in places to get er done tho....the surrounding rocks where my lift kit for the crown king trip =)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized I have more pictures of Box Canyon, but they were from a quad, not a Jeep. I could take the quad up while you guys play with the Jeeps since I have it entirely street legal now. :)

You must be registered for see images

EDIT: FYI, I've heard this has become quite the party destination, so be aware of that. Hopefully the Sheriff will start patrolling down there more often to keep that down.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if thats the case (you taking the quad and all), i would suggest not riding tailgunner youll be coughing up dust for years =) as for the could be party folks, as long as no one's party gets out of hand i suppose we'er ok either way i consider myself a diplomat, wise in the ways of avoiding un-needed confrontation, but fully prepaired/trained for handling a failure in said diplomatic relations.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the way in NY thats uber far. Was thinking u should make the jurney out here some time.... but wow what a haul =) however, if you ever decide to do a cross country trip for any reason in your future... post up and let us know when you are coming through maybe we can setup somthing to accomidate you for the time you are here or near here,

Thanks for the invite. I would love to go but of course it is too far. I have however been in parts of AZ/NV and the beauty of the area is awesome. I have been in Winslow and Wickenburg and some other areas but I do not know where any of the trails mentioned are. I have driven some trails out there but don't remember names. One memorable one was off rte#66 or 666 (I think) coming out of Bisbee. It was right next to an old store. It went over a mountain and ended up in Tombstone. It started out smooth but was a long rough mountain trail (probably 25 miles or so) and there was an old abandoned mine up the mountain. A very interesting (and spooky) place.

I didn't mean to interrupt your trip postings. I took a look and enjoyed the photos of the trails. Then I saw the skidplate questions and was just trying to help. Skids and hooks = bite the bullet and put them on (my opinion) and then enjoy. Anyway, pardon a NY Guy's interruption.

Post some pic's of the scenery when you get back. That way I can be with you in spirit.

Thanks,
Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if thats the case (you taking the quad and all), i would suggest not riding tailgunner youll be coughing up dust for years =) as for the could be party folks, as long as no one's party gets out of hand i suppose we'er ok either way i consider myself a diplomat, wise in the ways of avoiding un-needed confrontation, but fully prepaired/trained for handling a failure in said diplomatic relations.

Nah, I'm not going to bring the quad this time. I realized I would have logistical problems with the quad as compared to the Jeeps (loading/unloading/refueling). So, I would still like to ridealong if that is ok. Not to mention that my Jeep yields a spectacular 13 mpg with our quad trailer due to the drag that the ramp creates lol.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, No problem man wasnt headed that way w/ it, just teasing Minimedic a bit cuz i can hehehe. All suggestions welcome here, thats what the forum her is all about learning and giving advice. Hopfully commin away w/ good times and less broken jeep parts =) Keep it commin and we'll do the same w/ the pics =)

Again if you ever do end up out this way and wanna hit the trail for a day while passin through im extending an open invite.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn, heheh you would have ate major dust man! good call hehehe. tho it would be kinda fun to have for some of the harder to get to places, but prolly more so if it was a weekend w/ camping thing where there was more time in one spot and time to play ect ect. Im looking arround for a mini camper i can pull arround w/ the jeep but all that will have to wait for another time... i liked Dave's Popup he brought to crown king

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn, heheh you would have ate major dust man!
Naw, we would have sent him out as point man/cannon fodder :p :D :eek:

Dave, maybe you could hop on a plane and fly down in January for Fun In the Sun (FITS). AndySRT drove down all the way from Chicago last time and had a blast, but he also took time to check out Sedona, Grand Canyon and some other spots he had on his mind. And since FITS this year is in Sedona, well that would just double your fun :D :D :D

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and Pearl, as far as the skids are concerned they should just bolt up (once you get those #%*@!#%^ nut-serts installed). All of the skids currently sold are fitted to the '05+ models so we shouldn't have to do any drilling at all (Casey, I can see that look of disappointment forming from way over here on the east side :p ).

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o8k said:
AJ Chime in here pls if im off base... but im asuming this trail isnt very treterous and rocky, if its mostly sand, your better off w/ tow hooks than skids, sand is like pillows to your undercarriage...
You are correct... tow hooks would be the better of the two to have on this trail....

desertkj said:
I just realized I have more pictures of Box Canyon....
Nice pics. The water level seems just right, the last time we were there the water was too high and we had to turn around and go back....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im on the west end bro =) ill be happy to head out to the east to help, again i have a drill if it helps =) if the doodle bolts give us trouble

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, maybe you could hop on a plane and fly down in January for Fun In the Sun (FITS). And since FITS this year is in Sedona, well that would just double your fun :D :D :D

OK, so I think I've got it settled... While at dealers on Friday, will get the tow hooks (front & back) for next months trip. Then I'll get the skids by January's Fun in the Sun trip. Even though Kevin didn't invite me, I'll just have to invite myself!! :D :D :D j/k

Dave, thanks for the info. Would love to get it all now but I've got a long laundry list of things I need/want fot the Jeep, just gotta pace myself! Don't want to go into too much debt!!;) hehehe

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...will get the tow hooks (front & back) for next months trip.

Note that if you're planning on putting in a hitch at some point, the rear tow hook would have to come out - they can't coexist. Just another fun Liberty fact.:rolleyes:

Members online