AZ September Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're definitely going to camp in the National Park (oops, sorry, Monument), both Friday and Saturday night. Maybe take Friday off and go out early and hike.

Russ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just over two weeks to go.... \\:D/ (partysmile) \\:D/

Anyone else interested? This has all the makings of another fun trip!!!

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We would love to go and meet some fellow KJers. Haven't camped in Chiricahuas for a few years (last time did Rustler's park). Will have to pass though, we just blew two weekends in Colroado and lots of home projects need our attnetion the next 4-5 weeks.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We would love to go and meet some fellow KJers. Haven't camped in Chiricahuas for a few years (last time did Rustler's park). Will have to pass though, we just blew two weekends in Colroado and lots of home projects need our attnetion the next 4-5 weeks.
Sorry you can't make it, maybe next time.

Any pics2.giffrom the Colorado trip???

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definite nope for me now. I forgot about some other plans that I had already made. I expect plenty of pictures though.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think im good to go on this one but, i have to work friday so ill prolly not camp fri, prolly do a hotel. still up in the air on the lagistics...

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet on a hotel would probably be in Willcox, the last real town before the Chiricahuas, but still about an hour away.

Here is a GPX file of the meeting place, 8:30 Saturday morning:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx
version="1.0"
creator="GPSBabel - http://www.gpsbabel.org"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd">
<time>2007-09-11T17:20:46Z</time>
<bounds minlat="32.006907463" minlon="-109.389581680" maxlat="32.006907463" maxlon="-109.389581680"/>
<wpt lat="32.006907463" lon="-109.389581680">
<time>2007-08-21T19:41:39Z</time>
<name>TrailHead</name>
<cmt>Hwy 181 and Pinery Canyon Rd</cmt>
<desc>Hwy 181 and Pinery Canyon Rd</desc>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>
</gpx>

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is gpx file? is there suposed to b a pic there?
GPs eXchange format - lets you take information from one GPS and load it in another GPS. Now how you're gonna work with what Russ has is a mystery to me, I normally save them as a file and host them on a website then link to them.

Try this - meeting place gpx file You'll need a program that can upload the file to your gps, I would recommend EasyGPS. It's free and simple to use. Or if you have one of the Garmin programs just input the lat/long into it and save the waypoint:
32.006907463 N (32d 0' 24.8" N)
109.389581680 W (109d 23' 22.5" W)

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said.

I was assuming the use of cut and paste into Notepad and then saving the file. It was easier than trying to find somewhere to put the file and including a link to it, but Corwyyn did the work for me anyway:D .

Russ

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well camping doesnt look like it's going to work out. GF and I will meet you guys up there around 8:30ish. Excited to meet some new people. See you guys then.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info i am new to GPS. i just made my reservation and will be staying at the best western plaza inn in wilcox. i am getting more excited by the day!!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info i am new to GPS. i just made my reservation and will be staying at the best western plaza inn in wilcox. i am getting more excited by the day!!
Robert... Beth and I will be staying at the same motel Friday night.

We're leaving Phoenix at 3:30 and are stopping at the Triple T Truck Stop (Craycroft Rd, Exit 268) for dinner (they have a huge strawberry shortcake to die for). We should be at the Best Western about 8:00 - 8:30.

The next morning we'll be getting up early enough to get some breakfast, buy ice etc before heading down to the meeting spot where Russ is camping.

Saturday night we're staying at Portal Peak Lodge in Portal, which is at the East end of the trail we're doing. We'll be heading home Sunday morning after breakfast....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
russ, where is the campsite u r staying at? pm me data (even lat lon if u can), I cant get off work early but wont get there till affter 10, i think ill camp in the bak of the jeep fri night. is that # u pmed me while bak ur cell?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it to the Best Western in Willcox!!! We're an hour from the trailhead. We'll see evryone in the AM.... \\:D/ (partysmile) \\:D/

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent left yet prolly gonna skip the trip

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're home.

Russ and Mary... thanks for a putting together a great run!!! The location was really nice and the trails were a challange for our stock KJ, but doable with some careful driving. No issues except for some serious scratches and a minor dent or two on a couple of the skid plates. Hope Beth and I didn't slow everyone up too much.

Oh, and thanks for the decals. Does that mean we are now members of JeepKJ Country Arizona chapter of "got groceries?"???

We logged right at 585 miles roundtrip from Phoenix to include the trail and the ride over to Rodeo, NM for dinner last night.

Too bad some of the other Phoenix regulars couldn't make this trip. We had an interesting run. It was by far the most challenging run the AZ group has been on.

M&P40 saved the day twice. He got to use his new winch to pull a log off the trail to make it easier for us to get through. Later in the day, he strapped a certain KJ out of a hole he dug for himself trying to get over another fallen log.

We had a super time with some mighty fine people. It was nice meeting Mike, Katlin and their Jeep Pup... JEEP. Hope to see you again!!!

Here are a few pics I took, I'll post more over in the photo forum in a day or two. (No action shots as I was banished to the back of the line on this trip)

The new Arizona "got groceries?" chapter of JeepKJ Country...

You must be registered for see images

We go where others fear to tread...

JEEP, the Jeep KJ pup...

Break time...

The trail through the Chiricahua Mountains in Southeast Arizona...

Seriously stuck and with a flat tire...

Till next time...
AJ and Beth

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike seems to be spending as much time with a strap on his rig as without :) Nice pics, too bad I couldn't make it but hey, ya can't make 'em all...