AZ Aug trip, common wheelin w us!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word

(word) Word

Okay, this went over my head, what am I missing? Would you explain?

Expropriated from black culture some twenty-odd years ago, I believe. Basically means "you said it", among many other uses.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse *****. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

James D. Nicoll on rec.arts.sf-lovers, 5/15/1990

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ping! just keeping this up top, dont forget! come one, come all, this will be a fun trip, all my favorite people are coming, this means extra friendly people, extra fun, and way better photos! =D

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see how it works out. We were informed this last week at work that our schedule is going up, but we're still short-staffed. So what does that spell??? O.T.!!! I had to request the 11th off for a trip to Payson (ASA4WDC quarterly meeting), so I don't think I'll be able to ask for that one off as well. But it could turn out that we make our quota for the week by Friday and they cancel Saturday - if they do I'll be there!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody on the west side of the Valley (o8k/desertkj), want to take a ride up to Wickenburg? I was wondering how high the Hassayampa River is flowing with the recent monsoon rains. If no one on the west side knows or doesn't want to check it out, I may drive out there (93 miles one way from East Mesa) the weekend before if I have time. I'd hate to drive all the way out there and find we can't do it. We might want to come up with a backup trail for the 18th just in case....

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We might want to come up with a backup trail for the 18th just in case....

If you want an on-the-spot backup that pretty much starts in the same place, Constellation Road (Wickenburg Mountains in Wells) looks like it's not prone to flooding. If I read my topo right.

Russ

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
count me in? this weekend? scouting trip? cool! prolly a good idea, theres been a significant amount of rain out on the west side over the past week or so.... one of the trails i was looking at was, (wells book, #41 Belmont mountain). Same area runs wickenburg to tonopah. My weekend is open.....

Though reading, 41 starts in a flood plane, that may make it vulnerable to the same issue. Well lets have a scout out then shall we? maybe run 41 too it ends near my house =)

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ... yeah, I've been on that trail in the TJ, it's also also known as the Buckhorn Creek Trail. There are two ways out, the way you came in or continue on to Castle Hot Springs Road. From what I remember (haven't been out there since Mar 2003), it's not all that difficult, but the Well's book rates it moderate and the Castle Creek way out as difficult. Things change so I guess we'll have to play it by ear if we go that route instead of the Box Canyon....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but excited...

i should have my franken lift on by the 11th if luck is on my side.... im bouncing up and down in aticipation..... they made it 1/4" shorter (2.25"front) to avoid all the headaches (cv joint wear, cvboot dmng), thats what made me turn and just do it... 500lb springs, ome shocks. prolly add to my cargo capacity and tow tounge weight limit...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the trails i was looking at was, (wells book, #41 Belmont mountain). Same area runs wickenburg to tonopah. My weekend is open.....

Though reading, 41 starts in a flood plane, that may make it vulnerable to the same issue. Well lets have a scout out then shall we? maybe run 41 too it ends near my house =)
I've run that trail too... pretty flat and boring. As for the flood plane, there has to be tons of rain to make that area flooded.

If you wanted to do the #41 trail, the best place to start would be near your house just off of I-10 on on into Wickenburg via Vulture Mine Road. Then we could run up to the river and see what it's doing.

If you want to check it out, let me run it by Beth and see if she has any plans for this weekend....

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LOST group is planning a run down south if the Box Canyon trip falls thru. I prbably won't be able to make both but I think I'll shoot for the 19th. If needed we could always save this trip for later in the summer or fall after the rains back out.

Casey, if you need help with the lift let me know. I may be free on Sunday, depends on whats going on.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin, i chickened out, im having an installer do it for like an extra 400 inculding alignment.....

Im up for runnin a scout trip this weekend just holler out Aj.... when, after the weekend we may have an idea of what the deal is....

Kevin, i know your schedule is random, but join us if your not working, just tossin it out there.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im up for whatever long as it involves jeeping and everyone invited having a good time still. We kinda worked on this a bit to make sure everyone could make it on this one.... Want to make sure everyone can still go and enjoy somthing. lets see what we see this weekend and play it from there, we may just move the trail and hit the date, or move the date and hit the trail later. Moving the date may mean some of us (not me tho my sick butt would wheel every day after work if i could find some foo to go w/ me) cant go tho, i would feel badly.

When Russ, Glen and I punted on the martinez cabin and did a ridge run on bull springs it was still tones of fun, w/ the desert getting so much rain right now its a sure site for sore eyes (these sore eyes anyways, =) even in high country there will be water right now i bet. but more managable amounts hehehe...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey... okay, your on. Let me look at my notes of the area and we can start the trip from I-10, near Tonopah and shoot up #41 to Wickenburg that way. I'll post a meeting place tomorrow evening. I remember it's an old run down truck stop and you go "under" the freeway to start the trail in the sandy wash.

I don't mind doing a scouting trip, but as for the river run on the 18th, I think like Kevin and some people over at LOST are saying, it may be better to canx that run till after the monsoon is over. Anyway, we can check it out this weekend and decide then. And I agree, whatever trail we end up doing, keep the same date so all the folks that were planning to come can still meet and do something fun.

It'll take Beth and I about 1 1/2 hours to get there from Mesa, so maybe a start time of around 9:00 ????

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok sounds good yall er welcome to just stop at my place and ill follow you out to the trail head as i have no gps and dont know where im going, tried to find the south end of that trail last weekend and failed....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree canx BCH is pretty emenent w/ the masive rain we have all had. Please stay tuned but BCH is looking like a no go for now, just to keep it safe. But we are all on for the 18th! Stay tuned for whatever we find. A ridge run looks like it will be in our future....

Pearl! you get your jeep all fixed up and ready to roll?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey, PM sent. Very sorry, but we have to bow out on the scouting trip this Saturday.... :(

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoiding Sudden walls of water and such... Suggested alternates:

wells trails
#36, wickenburg mountains***
#40, harquahala peak (short and out of the way prolly fun but a dud for an all day thing)
#41, belmont mountain (backwards to avoid lowlands)
Anything in the apache junc area maybe?
#46 bulldog canyon? (words w/ canyon in them maybe not... =)

Bring on the ideas folks no one b shy...

*** seems like a top pic in my estimation