AZ july trip, common wheelin w us

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*EDIT

Details As of SO FAR:
========================
TRAIL NAME: Martinez Cabin (Canceled due to conditions)
ALT TRAIL: Bull Springs Road
DIFFICULTY: Stockers Welcome
MEETING DATE: Sat, July 21st
MEETING TIME: 9:00am
MEET AT: giant cow skull (the parking lot of the Longhorn Bar & Grill) in Arivaca Junction
ROSTER: o8k(solo), rkeegstra(solo), o8k friend not a chevy, a dodge(solo)
TOTAL TO DATE: 3people 3vehicles
NOTES: LOST Members Always welcome
Preview: ugh a dirt road in tucson =)
========================

ok so my skid is on and im feeling fearless need to hit the dirt. trying to get a roll call for who is availabe next weekend 21/22 leaving it open on what trail too, ill be checking my pink book for somthin kinda thinking sadona or between phx and tuscon, open to ideas too.

playing in sand washes was fun on our apache run last month, and ive not run greasy spoon yet, broken arrow is always a joy =) lets hear your thoughts. ill throw the porta grille in too if anyone wants to cook a dog or burger ect. humm sadona area would be cooler

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wont know until last minute. It depends on what comes up and my funds for gas. Keep me updated on what the plan is though.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beth and I would be there, BUT we'll be in Silverton, Ouray and Crested Butte, CO doing some high altitude trails for a week, starting on the 21st.

Talk about walking around with a headache for a week... Silverton is 9,000 ft up, Ouray is about 7,500 ft and most of the mountain passes are above 10,000 ft. The second highest pass in Colorado is Imogene Pass, near Telluride, at 13,114 ft. Now that's some heavy breathing.

Anyway, here are some ideas for you. If you can wait a few weeks, I've done all of these trails and could help out or lead an expedition if anyone is interested....

Sedona:

- Broken Arrow, Schnebly Hill Road
- Soldier's Pass (Devils's Kitchen, Seven Sacred Pools)
- Van Deren's Cabin

Wickenburg:

- Box Canyon of the Hassayampa (sandy river bottom and water)
- Harquahala Peak
- Wickenberg Mountains

Superior/Florence Junction:

- Montana Mountain Road (plenty of side trails and hills to climb on)
- Box Canyon
- Walnut Canyon
- Martinez Cabin

Mogollon Rim:

- FR 300/Gen Crook Trail (plenty of side trails, a few go to some small lakes)
- Backway from Young to Punkin Center (in the mountains by Roosevelt Lake, lots of rocks and trees)

Here are a few pics from the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa we took a few years ago. The river was running pretty high from all the winter rain we had that year. There is usually some water and you'll always have lots of sand to play in...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would love to do FR300 or Schnebly Hill Road. I know both of those pretty well, so if you would be willing to wait a few weeks until AZKJ is back, we may be able to get some more interest. Of course, I'm not sure about your friend with the Chevy is like and what type of trails he wants to do.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color me interested. Something south of Phoenix, to keep it a little closer to home. Maybe Martinez Cabin - State Land Use permit required, IIRC.

Or we could rekkie the Copper Creek area. Also State Land Use permit required.

Russ

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be up for something, but like Shawn It'll be last minute before I know if I can do it. Martinez Cabin might be doable depending on the weather, but if there is a chance of rain I would stay far away from that area.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I would like to see everyone able to make it. our lats trip was a great group to go with. lets push it back a few weeks, let shawn save up, azkj get back from nose bleed high alt land. =) ill prolly push for my lift to happen b4 then hehehe. the pictures of that area look fun. i would be in for doing that run. anyone heard from minimedic? azkj,shawn, let me know when yall can do it and we can drop a date in pen somewhere.. that will wek fer yall.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beth and I are open for Aug 4, 18 or 25. Yeah, the river is fun, but it all depends on how much rain we get during the monsoon between now and then. A lot of that trail is actually in the river and you have to watch out for quicksand....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so lets say aug 4 for sue then at the place in the pics, monsoons not withstanding. =)

i would still b willing to run martinez cabin on the 21st if ya want rkeegstra ect. whoever is interested

my chevy buddy is kinda same in interest as the most of us so no worries there. need to forward this thread to him and see what his avail is for the next few weeks. on either trip

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're up for whatever. Martinez cabin towards the end looks like it's the drain for much of that area so flash flooding is easily possible, I'm guessing.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so lets say aug 4 for sue then at the place in the pics, monsoons not withstanding. =)
This thread is going off in two directions - two different trips and dates. Do you want me to post one for the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa, in Wickenburg, for Aug 4th? You could post another thread for the other trip and we can keep them seperated.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is going off in two directions - two different trips and dates.

I'm certainly not trying to pull in any particular direction. I had only suggested Martinez in the first place because I don't have to travel three hours to get there :) , but I expect it is prone to flash flooding. Like I said, we're up for whatever, and whenever.

Russ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly not trying to pull in any particular direction. I had only suggested Martinez in the first place because I don't have to travel three hours to get there :) , but I expect it is prone to flash flooding. Like I said, we're up for whatever, and whenever.

Russ
Russ... I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else was taking this thread in different directions. I'm sorry if you took it that way. All I was suggesting was two threads for the two trips on different dates that are being talked about here.

AJ

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sweat, no offense taken. Aren't we all on the same page here? I think we can accomodate everyone. I know my weekends are free well into August. and I don't have any specific designs on any specific trails. Hey, if we're talking two different trails on two different dates, I don't have any problems doing both :p .

Russ

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is going off in two directions - two different trips and dates. Do you want me to post one for the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa, in Wickenburg, for Aug 4th? You could post another thread for the other trip and we can keep them seperated.

Yes I was just thinking the same thing..... Been traveling on a plane all day so havent been able to clear things up. I was getting a bit ahead of myself i suppose trying to txt in my ideas from my phone while in layovr in dallas ect ect....

++++++++ TRIP IN AUG +++++++
AJ, Fire up an AUG trip thread in here for Box Canyon of the Hassayampa, in Wickenburg, for Aug 4th

++++++++ TRIP IN JUL +++++++++++
Russ, lets leave this thread alive for our Marinez cabin run on the 21st of July that way the thread names match the trip.

Lets all hope the weather wont pooch either trip =)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will continue to update the first post in the thread as data flows in to summerize it all for everyone. Ill need to break out my pink book for this one, not sure where it is to set a place ect.

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably be copilot-less on this trip, Mary's probably working. I would suggest an early start, earlier the better, since if the rains come they will probably be in the afternoon.:(

And remember, pretty much the whole Florence - Florence Junction area is state permit required.

There are also at least two ways in - from Mineral Mountain Road off 60 just east of Florence Junction, or Cottonwood Canyon Road from 79 just south of Florence Junction. I don't know the relative merits of either way.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And remember, pretty much the whole Florence - Florence Junction area is state permit required.

There are also at least two ways in - from Mineral Mountain Road off 60 just east of Florence Junction, or Cottonwood Canyon Road from 79 just south of Florence Junction. I don't know the relative merits of either way.
Russ brought up a VERY good point... state trust lands require a permit. Pinal County Sheriff's Dept has been known to hide out in that area and pass out big $$$ tickets to those that don't have a permit.

You can download the application here and mail it in with your payment ($15.00 for an individual, or $20.00 for a family). Or, you can go down to their office at 1616 W. Adams in Phoenix to pick one up in person.

=============================================

Something else to consider...

Cottonwood Canyon Road is often closed if the red flags are flying at the US Army firing range. Another way in and maybe a little more fun is...

From Hwy 79 South, you can go in on Price Rd (on the left as soon as you cross the RR tracks). That route will take you through Box Canyon and then on to the Cabin. On the way out, you can swing down to the Gila River and then follow the trail up through scenic Walnut Canyon which skirts the White Canyon Wilderness area. You'll come out on Hwy 177, south of Superior.

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the way out, you can swing down to the Gila River and then follow the trail up through scenic Walnut Canyon which skirts the White Canyon Wilderness area. You'll come out on Hwy 177, south of Superior.

Is that the Coke Ovens trail down to the river and out the Battleaxe? The Coke Ovens are on private property and apparently the owner has declared them off-limits, I don't know how much of that trail is closed off.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the Coke Ovens trail down to the river and out the Battleaxe? The Coke Ovens are on private property and apparently the owner has declared them off-limits, I don't know how much of that trail is closed off.
The trail to the ovens does branch off of that route, but going the way AJ is talking about steers you clear of the property the Coke Ovens are on. Made a wrong turn the first time I was going out to the ovens and actually wound up heading down the route he is talking about. Of course our destination was the ovens so we did an about-face at the river and headed back out.

Members online

No members online now.