AZ Aug trip, common wheelin w us!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that if you're planning on putting in a hitch at some point, the rear tow hook would have to come out - they can't coexist. Just another fun Liberty fact.:rolleyes:

(banghead) ARGH!!! Why can't this be easy!?!? SO, tow hitch on front & tow hook on back?!???

"For the rear if you have a hitch just get a bar and schackle. If not you will need a rear tow hook" this is from Dave eairler.

OK, Gonna be a total girl now..... whats the difference? I think that a hook for the back is what I need to pull something and the tow hitch is what I'll need for y'all to pull me out if I get stuck, right??

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tow reciever is the $ part. its basicaly a square hole that bolts to the frame. from there you have a variety of 20$ or so gadgets that plug into it, one of which is a tow hitch, the other is that hook i showed you

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...tow hitch on front & tow hook on back?!???

Sorry for the confusion - tow hooks on the front, that's the way you want to go.

But in the back, you can either have a tow hook, or you can have a hitch. If you are going to put a hitch on the back then don't buy a rear tow hook now because you'll just have to take it off when you put the hitch on. A rear tow hook is cheaper, but you can't pull a trailer with it:) .

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I think I've got it settled... While at dealers on Friday, will get the tow hooks (front & back) for next months trip.
Pearl... you may want to check with the dealer where you're going on Friday. Not all dealers carry the tow hooks. Superstition Springs has to order them for you. It usually takes 2-3 days to get stuff they don't stock.

They want $101.00 for the front hooks and $89.00 for the rear one (that does not include installation). I need to get a set for the Aug trip too.

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.... :D

AJ

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl, My list of things to get from Harbor freight soon (if it helps)

Tow straps: 10bucks 8500lb 20'
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36612

Rear removable toe hitch 12.99 10,000lb
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95594

Come Along 17- 29 bucks
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=come+along

o8k........do NOT get that tow strap as it has METAL HOOKS on it . They (metal hooks) are VERY DANGEROUS. You want a RECOVERY STRAP which will have LOOPS on the ends. Don't take my word for it - ask around if you wish but please do not get that type of strap. People can (and have) been KILLED with those.

Dave

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ever watch myth busters? they concluded cables that break dont zip out of control and decapitate people. Not that i believe everything they do b/c they botch about 1/2 of there experements. However, Ive heard of that metal hook thing b4 but i honestly dont believe it happens.

EDIT:
/as o8k returns from next trip w/ no hands..... hahahaha reminds me of the princes bride where he's in the fire swamp saying the ROUS's dont exist..... Honestly i sit on the fence on this one tho....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hooks have a clasp and if you follow the directions for the tow hooks, the hooks clasp to a closed loop ring, in which case the hook that "would go flying" would be securly connected to the closed loop, the hook itself would have to fail to disconnect it from the loop. As long as this isnt the weakest part (which it probably is hahaha (laughing at myself again)) theres no problem....

/as o8k returns from next trip w/ no hands.....

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they concluded cables that break dont zip out of control and decapitate people.

Depends on the cable. Steel cables don't stretch much and so don't store a whole lot of energy, but those nylon web straps, they can stretch. And those yank straps... [cue the picture of the Wrangler with the strap through the cab...]

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the samples included a number of cords including nylon, steel, ect, none created the proper force. Now if some yo yo pulls a, "leathal wepon, mel gibson w/ the F250 dualy truck yanking on the house piller", manuver sure anything can happen =)

Ok my stupid internet is too slow for me to find link reference to said manuver so for those who dont know what im talking about. IF you let out tones of slack in the line then drive away as fast as possible letting the line snap tight, sure, all kinda hell could break loose. However, i would like to see them fellas re-visit this one get some semi rigs er somthing and see what they could come up w/

But w/ a properly secured hook, unless the hook fails, there is no danger. If yall cant tell by now (giggle), i bought the darn thing already, and find myself defending this more for the sake of acidemics and discussion and out of lazyness not wanting to take it back. I see the risk here but dont think its high. i may just hack saw the hooks off the hoops and then im done =)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mythbusters tested steel cable you said. That's not the same thing. A recovery strap is made to pull a stuck vehicle out. It stretches and releases energy. Those tow lines with the hooks are not really for recovery. They are fine for towing on on a road type surface but not recovery.

Please get other opinions from people that have recovered vehicles.

I don't want to hear about anyone getting hurt. Be safe.

Dave

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I've got one myself:eek: . Use it as a *tow* strap and you're good. Use it as a yanker and you could have trouble.

...what Dave said.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o8k said:
I see the risk here but dont think its high. i may just hack saw the hooks off the hoops and then im done =)
I'm in the 'no' hooks camp. I sawed off the hooks on my straps. Better safe than sorry....

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is entirely off topic, but I could not think of anywhere to put it, but did anyone notice that AZ seems to have the most active trips in this section of the forum? drive.gif

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL! In the interest of safty, Do what Dave says. Do it right, dont get hurt.

SO...The aquaman SAFTY tip for the day is as follows:

1)Do what dave is saying.
2)Dont listen to o8k

as he is just breaking down why to do what dave says in a reverse engineering sort of way which may be interesting and useful in some other context in some other thread, perhaps creating a recovery "howto" type thread another time. Sorry for the diversion =)

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is entirely off topic, but I could not think of anywhere to put it, but did anyone notice that AZ seems to have the most active trips in this section of the forum? drive.gif

No worries i de-railed us several posts ago

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL! In the interest of safty, Do what Dave says. Do it right, dont get hurt.

SO...The aquaman SAFTY tip for the day is as follows:

1)Do what dave is saying.
2)Dont listen to o8k

as he is just breaking down why to do what dave says in a reverse engineering sort of way which may be interesting and useful in some other context in some other thread, perhaps creating a recovery "howto" type thread another time. Sorry for the diversion =)

ROFL. Sorry, I was thinking that, but I didn't want to say anything that could sound rude. Honestly, all that was coming to mind was the winch on the Westin (that was a disaster waiting to happen lol). :)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROFL. Sorry, I was thinking that, but I didn't want to say anything that could sound rude. Honestly, all that was coming to mind was the winch on the Westin (that was a disaster waiting to happen lol). :)

Ok now thats funny =)