AZ Aug trip, common wheelin w us!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoiding Sudden walls of water and such... Suggested alternates:

wells trails
#36, wickenburg mountains***
#40, harquahala peak (short and out of the way prolly fun but a dud for an all day thing)
#41, belmont mountain (backwards to avoid lowlands)
Anything in the apache junc area maybe?
#46 bulldog canyon? (words w/ canyon in them maybe not... =)

Bring on the ideas folks no one b shy...

*** seems like a top pic in my estimation

#36 - a moderate trail with some shallow creek crossings ***
#40 - a couple of hours up and back, not a day trip
#41 - a flat boring trail, not a day trip
#46 - a short trail, requires a permit from the Mesa Ranger's Office

On the East side near Superior:

#48 - Montana Mountain Road, scenic, a nice run with some good optional climbs ***

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya 48 would be cool..... looking like a good option

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya 48 would be cool..... looking like a good option
#48 - Montana Mountain/FR 650 is okay by me...

It's an easy trail with a few moderate spots, there are some optional 4-Low climbs straight up the side of a few mountains, nice views, okay for stock KJ's.

We can meet at the Texaco Station on the North side of US 60, in Gold Canyon and topoff our fuel tanks.

There's an inexpensive resturant with good hamburgers and okay Mexican food in Superior to grab a bite after the run if anyone is interested....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my vote!
anyone else?

Would like to make a point of this btw. Please everyone =) I do think a little food and "tails of the road" after party is always a good idea. I encurrage everyone to plan out their trip so that they can stay and spend some time afterwards getting to know one another differently from just wheelin in the woods. I think highly of you all and would love to get to know you all personaly.

o8k

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#36 - a moderate trail with some shallow creek crossings ***
#40 - a couple of hours up and back, not a day trip
#41 - a flat boring trail, not a day trip
#46 - a short trail, requires a permit from the Mesa Ranger's Office

On the East side near Superior:

#48 - Montana Mountain Road, scenic, a nice run with some good optional climbs ***
#36 - haven't done it.
#40 - Yeah, couple of hours up and back, plus time to get to the start of the trail. Three of us ran this one back in February and it was a bit cool and windy up top. This one might be nice in the fall, there are some tables and I believe camping spots on top.
#41 - see #36
#46 - not too long, but a very rocky trail. Did this one back in September last year with Tom (Renstock) from LOST. There were some clouds around during the day and it spit on us as we got toward the end of the trail, then as I was driving back home I looked in the rearview and saw it just DUMPING rain out there. This one would be good for the winter.
#48 - if I have the day off this has been on my 'to do' list for the last year or so.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any of these runs. Montana Mountain has the advantage of being closer, although it does run in washes both on the way up and on the way down.

I do think a little food and "tails of the road" after party is always a good idea.

...or maybe even more of a "lessons learned" session. But yeah, what he said.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
48 montanna mountain is kinda more equadistant for eveyone anyways and its getting good votes. aj u alyaus pick good trails man how u do it? that puts us close to the lost trip possibly too, if anyone wants to run that the day after. 48 then?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, c'mon, I say Box Canyon. Live a little bit! Nothing livens up a day of four wheeling like the uncertainty of whether or not a wall of water is about to come sweeping through the canyon engulfing you and your Jeep!

J/K. I'll wait and see what the plan is.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any of these runs. Montana Mountain has the advantage of being closer, although it does run in washes both on the way up and on the way down.
It's shouldn't be a problem. The Queen Valley way in is a wide, rocky, shallow, crossing that is usually dry and the way out is a short rocky section that doesn't get that deep. The only way we would have a problem is if it really poured for several hours straight....

48 montanna mountain is kinda more equadistant for eveyone anyways and its getting good votes.

aj u alyaus pick good trails man how u do it?
That's what I was thinking too. It would make it easier for Russ and Mary (who are coming up from Tucson) and Pearl to get there.

LOL

The short story... we've been on most of them except for the ******** stuff.

The longer story... pull up a chair and put your reading glasses on.

The 4x4 bug bite in early '98 after doing the Apache Trail in Beth's little GEO. After that we read about all of the scenic back country drives in a book put out by Arizona Highway's and thought it would be an inexpensive way to enjoy our new home state.

You must be registered for see images

A few months later, we went down to Organ Pipe Cactus NM and could only do one of two loop trails in the park with the GEO. A few weeks later, after dinner one Friday evening, we went over to Earnhardt's "just" to look at Jeeps (I've never seen one up close and I'm not a truck guy). The rest is history, here was a way to get out and see the Great American Southwest, so we brought home the TJ that night.

Early the next morning, in the middle of Feb (Brrrrr), I took the windows out of the TJ and put the top down while Beth packed a cooler full of chicken and sandwhiches, and we took off for Organ Pipe to do our first real trail.

The first six years or so, we hit the trails two or three times a month and many of our vacations were spent in UT and CO doing trails up there. We've done most of the trails in the Well's AZ book and then some. Same for southwest Utah, the Four Corners area and the Silverton/Ouray area in Colorado.

Beth's back has been giving her serious trouble the last few years. The TJ was too rough for her, so we kinda put the trails on the back burner. Then last year we got her a Suzuki Grand Vitara because it sat up higher and was better for her back than the Honda she was driving.

We then spent a week's vacation up by Lake Powell doing all of the National Parks and some easy trails in that area. Guess what? The 4x4 bug bite again. The Suzuki was 2WD. We tried to save a few $$$ buying it instead of a 4WD Liberty. It rattled like crazy and we had put 21,000 miles on it in one year... hmmm, sounds like a good reason to trade it in on a 4WD KJ that we should have bought in the first place. And here we are.

This time out with the KJ, it's easier on Beth's back AND we've met some really down to earth folks that don't have egos as big as the huge built up rigs you see everywhere. All of you guys are a great group of KJ people from different parts of the Valley and Tucson (yes Pearl, Queen Creek is part of the Valley LOL). So now we're getting back out on the trails again, in a more comfortable ride than a TJ. The only thing that would make it better is, to get more KJ owners to join us on the trips.

So there you have it. Sorry about getting WAY off topic and being long winded, BUT you asked...

PS: Maybe we should close this thread out, send PM's/e-mail's to everyone that was planning on the River trip and repost this run under a different heading with the new trail info, time and meeting spot???

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey AJ not off topic i think, trail threads to include all the deails of the people involved too so folks know we arent super ego types, er who we r at least, the trail is one half, the company on it is the other two thirds =)

new post thos just to keep it clean.... prolly a good call... feel free to scribble somthing together or i will do it when i get back this evening from dinner.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your thread... go ahead and post a new one.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do, soon as i can get to a real keyboard, =) this from my phone