Removed the valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please excuse the jokes. They come from the initial post where you are giving us symptoms that are not even remotely related. Later you ask about lash adjusters vs. lifters. These questions are indicative of an experience level FAR below that required to perform repairs. The advice to take it to a shop is no joke. I/we can't teach you advanced troubleshooting techniques & repairs in this format.
I'd would have to agree with the above,not to mention there are some non-standard tools required for this repair.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These symptoms may not relate to the camshaft/valve springs/valves/lash adjusters and so on... BUT they are symptoms of the vehicle as a WHOLE... I'm not just trying to fix one thing on it... I'm trying to fix the WHOLE thing... and while it is apart, I would hate to put it back together just to take part of it apart again to fix ONE of the OTHER problems/symptoms that are NOT related... Plus who the hell wants to pay thousands of dollars to have the head pulled off and crap like that... If I can get some help, LEARN how to do it myself, I would feel so accomplished and actually know more about my vehicle like I should... I don't want to be that guy who takes his car to a shop everytime something goes wrong with it... I'd like to be able to learn and troubleshoot. Not just for this vehicle, but possibly for the next vehicle as well, or whatever... Also, I had a mechanic friend of mine over to help me out today, but since his wife is in the hospital dying of cancer, he can't quite be there to help out as much as I could use... so I try to look to the friendly group of you folks to lend me a helping hand so that I may have the knowledge YOU have!

Last edited:

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and this is why I didn't believe it to be a fuel grade problem... In terms of removing the head, I don't believe this is necessary... the lash adjuster slides right back in, I have a vehicle specific tool being shipped from miller tools to compress the valve spring with the head still in the car, so I can reinstall the rocker arm... none of the springs are broken, but i need to compress them to see if the valves follow, or stick... I truely believe it to be an oil pressure problem due to the fact that the lash adjuster are hydraulic because of oil pressure, and without that, would cause play within the rocker arm... as far as the 1/4in play in the lash adjuster, i don't know if this is normal...?

My guesses to the play are flat cam lobe or worn lifter. How does your oil look?

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, see this is why there is so much bull-shit arguing and piss contests. The guy asks for help, and people piss all over him. If he wants to do it, then help, or ****, I mean really?

Before telling me to **** please re-read this part of my first entry. See below.

#4 exhaust (?) valve not opening due to rocker arm fallen off + low oil pressure voltage + a burned out plug in #6 + losing coolant & a missing lash adjuster.

Are you sure you want to tackle this job? Your questions indicate you are not very familiar with basics. This engine is in dire need of some serious troubleshooting before just being put back together. Example: #6 plug problem is not caused by #4 valve problem and visa versa.

The above description followed later by asking about lash adjusters vs lifters does not indicate a person capable of performing this kind of work. You have started off telling him to start a major repair job without connecting the symptoms. There is incomplete information that there is a problem there. My professional opinion is you should **** as you are telling a completele untrained person to perform a job he is incapable of doing. Just my opinion so I'll **** now. Good luck.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Make sure the valve doesn't slide down into the cylinder if you are going to test the spring...

You would have to remove the head to replace a valve, yeah, sorry bout that...

AS far as 1/4" of play, that is a problem. If the lash adjuster is not retaining oil, then you can't properly measure the gap, it would be bad. Still, what caused the rocker arm to come loose in the first place?

Lifter and Lash Adjuster are sometimes referred to as the same ting, but Hydraulic in front of them makes them different. You do not need to adjust valve clearance with a hydraulic one.

2005 and up 3.7s have Lash Adjusters, not sure if yours does.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Before telling me to **** please re-read this part of my first entry. See below.

The above description followed later by asking about lash adjusters vs lifters does not indicate a person capable of performing this kind of work. You have started off telling him to start a major repair job without connecting the symptoms. There is incomplete information that there is a problem there. My professional opinion is you should **** as you are telling a completele untrained person to perform a job he is incapable of doing. Just my opinion so I'll **** now. Good luck.

Not aimed at YOU specifically, see? Damage, Inc.... It was a generalization of everyone ******* on the guy rather than provide ANY help. It boils down to, sure, state your opinion, and then HELP at least.

I know not to tackle the job if I don't know much, but you have to learn somehow, so why not educate instead of pontificate?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone
#4 exhaust (?) valve not opening due to rocker arm fallen off + low oil pressure voltage + a burned out plug in #6 + losing coolant & a missing lash adjuster.

Are you sure you want to tackle this job? Your questions indicate you are not very familiar with basics. This engine is in dire need of some serious troubleshooting before just being put back together. Example: #6 plug problem is not caused by #4 valve problem and visa versa.
That sounds like 4 completely separate problems that just so happened to occur at the same time.

*1*--The rocker arm/valve lash adjuster can be caused by many things.......
1-worn cam lobe
2-something bent
3-something broken

*2*--Low oil pressure needs to be verified by a mechanical oil pressure gauge before just throwing a sensor at it.

*3*--Why did #6 plug "burn out"?,never heard of that term since a spark plug can't burn out,it can crack,melt,short,and fall apart but not "burn out".

*4*--You need to pressure test the cooling system for the coolant leak,sadly you already tore apart the engine since sometimes you will need to run the engine to operating temps then pressure test the cooling system to find some leaks.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of patronizing me, "ShadowedXistence thinks ThunderbirdJunkie needs to read the post!"

ThunderbirdJunkie DID read the post. He specifically asked you a question, which as of this posting, has not been answered. A broken valve spring CAN CAUSE a rocker arm to come off its pedestal.

If you don't like the questions designed to assist you in your troubleshooting intermixed with a joke or two, your best bet is to find out if there's a way you can block ThunderbirdJunkie's future posts so you don't have to be blindsided by humor and help.

So, is the valve spring broken?

Last edited:

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the valve doesn't slide down into the cylinder if you are going to test the spring...

You would have to remove the head to replace a valve, yeah, sorry bout that...

AS far as 1/4" of play, that is a problem. If the lash adjuster is not retaining oil, then you can't properly measure the gap, it would be bad. Still, what caused the rocker arm to come loose in the first place?

Lifter and Lash Adjuster are sometimes referred to as the same ting, but Hydraulic in front of them makes them different. You do not need to adjust valve clearance with a hydraulic one.

2005 and up 3.7s have Lash Adjusters, not sure if yours does.

I don't plan on pulling the clips off the valve stem, just compressing the springs to see if the valve stem slides down on its own as the spring is compressed... and if I need to change the spring, I know to hook up an air compressor to the chamber, and the position of the crankshaft and such, plus my mechanic friend should be there when I get the time to work on it again... but I LIKE TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON TOO... you know... it's nice to know a little bit about what he is telling me to do, not just doing it...

And my vehicle uses a hydraulic lash adjuster... Plus if the head needs to come off, I WILL be taking it to a repair shop... that's not something I really feel comfortable with doing!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You've already got it this far.

Might as well take both heads off and have them rebuilt.

Also, is your valve spring broken?

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the cover off the passenger side camshaft...
Rocker arm had completely fallen off of cylinder 4 (the rocker arm closest to the firewall for cylinder 4, I think it's an exhaust valve?). I know there is a reason for this; could it be oil pressure? I have had code 0522(low oil pressure voltage) for a couple of weeks now. Also, I'm not sure, but the lash adjuster seems to have about a 1/4in play in it. Not sure if this is normal. None of the springs seem to be broken.

This is post #1 and if you read post #13, I quoted... POST #1 for you... and again now... bolded... for YOU to see... I don't like people telling me I'm not capable of doing something... LET ME TRY... I have another car anyway... I just want to learn... thanks if you have anything I can use though.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's stop the negativety. This forum is by far one of the friendliest forums I've been on. Let's not ruin it and run it like a monarchy (ls1tech). Not everyone likes post degrading one's ability. Just because a question is asked, is not a sign of ignorance, but one's willingness to learn. I'm sure he (op) is aware what he is capable of with his experience level. Thanks agains guy for making jeepkj an outstanding forum! My 2 cents

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's stop the negativety. This forum is by far one of the friendliest forums I've been on. Let's not ruin it and run it like a monarchy (ls1tech). Not everyone likes post degrading one's ability. Just because a question is asked, is not a sign of ignorance, but one's willingness to learn. I'm sure he (op) is aware what he is capable of with his experience level. Thanks agains guy for making jeepkj an outstanding forum! My 2 cents

O.K., tell him how to fix this.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K., tell him how to fix this.

Ok? Here we go again...with immaturity.

I don't recall a single word in my previous post was directed towards instructions on his problem for that matter. I'll simplify my previous post for your concern. If u can't help the OP, or just bash him with redundant answers to his questions...well, u shouldn't be posting in his thread. Just trying to keep things civil

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok? Here we go again...with immaturity.

I don't recall a single word in my previous post was directed towards instructions on his problem for that matter. I'll simplify my previous post for your concern. If u can't help the OP, or just bash him with redundant answers to his questions...well, u shouldn't be posting in his thread. Just trying to keep things civil

Immature! So now you are bashing me?:confused:

I agree, you did not offer instructions. You posted in his thread without offering him any help. You posted a message akin to what I would expect from a mod. You mentioned a monarchy but are offering your own form of direction that our conduct should take. Instead I would suggest to you to either join on the fun OR give him useful instruction on how to fix his vehicle. Just my $.02.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Immature! So now you are bashing me?:confused:

I agree, you did not offer instructions. You posted in his thread without offering him any help. You posted a message akin to what I would expect from a mod. You mentioned a monarchy but are offering your own form of direction that our conduct should take. Instead I would suggest to you to either join on the fun OR give him useful instruction on how to fix his vehicle. Just my $.02.

ImmaturITY. U misunderstood my grammer. I ordered directions on how to run a forum? No. Just IMO. Someone joins a forum for help, someone should get an answer. The 'fun' has to stop somewhere and help should be offered out of all seriousness

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ImmaturITY. U misunderstood my grammer. I ordered directions on how to run a forum? No. Just IMO. Someone joins a forum for help, someone should get an answer. The 'fun' has to stop somewhere and help should be offered out of all seriousness

It's pretty immature to chime in on someone's thread that is asking for help on repair information only to tell others what kind of conduct you expect. It is MY OPINION you should be offering him the benefit of your knowledge instead of telling the rest of us how to act. In case you didn't notice the jokes stopped when the instruction started. Now is the time for you to lead by example.

And exactly what is immaturity about "O.K., tell him how to fix this"? You want to join in on the thread? Lead by example. Tell him how to fix this. Nothing immaturity about that from where I sit. Was this your knee jerk reaction to a simple suggestion?

Members online

No members online now.