Removed the valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ATLEAST the SECOND owner... hell, I'm still on the first set of tires, just to show how long I have NOT owned it... I change the oil every 3000 miles. Reset my trip everytime, and keep track... I just use basic oil... the cheap stuff I guess...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have you always owned the Jeep SX? What brand of oil do you use and how often do you change the oil? Im just curious..

And adding to what TJKJ said, those power steering hoses can rub against another and rub holes in themselves. They can also just wear out over time and need replacement.
On hoses the O rings seem to give out,ask me how I know.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I am ATLEAST the SECOND owner... hell, I'm still on the first set of tires, just to show how long I have NOT owned it... I change the oil every 3000 miles. Reset my trip everytime, and keep track... I just use basic oil... the cheap stuff I guess...
Might be able to get carfax for you,PM your vin if you want.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you always owned the Jeep SX? What brand of oil do you use and how often do you change the oil? Im just curious..

And adding to what TJKJ said, those power steering hoses can rub against another and rub holes in themselves. They can also just wear out over time and need replacement.

Yeah, I pulled them away from each other, once I could get my hands down there, and they look rubbed raw...

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you though about replacing the head with a remanufactured one? You can get them for about $300 on Ebay. That way a lot of the work is already done for you.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually yes... I was looking at that! Don't know about ebay though, I'd like to know I'm getting what I pay for... clean up my camshaft... install new valve stems, seals, springs, etc... probably reuse the rocker arms... but we'll see... I'll replace what can be seen and put it back together... If I still have a problem, the only thing I have wasted is time, and I can always take it back apart and go from there with removing the head and so fourth.

Last edited:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually yes... I was looking at that! Don't know about ebay though, I'd like to know I'm getting what I pay for... clean up my camshaft... install new valve stems, seals, springs, etc... probably reuse the rocker arms... but we'll see... I'll replace what can be seen and put it back together... If I still have a problem, the only thing I have wasted is time, and I can always take it back apart and go from there with removing the head and so fourth.

Sounds like you have a project ahead of you. Are you going to take apart the other head and rebuild it too? From the looks of all the sludge, I would want to take a look at the other side if it was mine. It's probably similar to the one that just failed.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh wow, whom ever owned it before you must NOT of taken care of it if youve replace the ****** and now this. ***** youve had so much trouble out of it. There are quite a bit getting well over 100k now that the kj is getting older. So far most seem to be doing pretty good over 100k.

Seems the valve train is the weak point of the 3.7 though..

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that I have another vehicle, I'm going to address the problems as they happen and I get to them... but for now, just waiting on a specialty tool so I can check the other rocker arms, springs and such and put the new lash adjuster in... If I find more problems with valves or the head, I'll have to see if my best option is to send the head out for servicing or buy a reman... just want to fix the current problems, run some sea foam through the engine, do an oil change with synthetic oil, check the oil pressure, check the coolant pressure, replace the power steering hoses, since the coolant has already been drained since I had to disconnect some hoses to get to the valve cover I might as well flush the radiator, chip has already been removed, replace the spark plugs, and in another 3000 miles when the oil needs to be changed again, I plan to run sea foam through the engine once more and change the oil... then go from there... if something comes up, THEN I will move to the next thing....

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after Ridenby did a carfax report for me, turns out the transmission was replaced once already before I got it and had to replace it again... also, it failed an emissions inspection by the same owner... there were 2 owners that owned it for less than a year each... so I'm guessing whoever the owner was that had the transmission replaced and such was either the one who didn't take care of the vehicle, or the owner prior... It is what it is I guess...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
To have a transmission replaced TWICE (now) is just crazy. Are there any signs that there was a toe package on it? Lots of used car lots remove the hitch so people won't know by looking at it, it was used for towing, and I know this FIRST HAND. Look under the back, and see if there is any sign or indication there was a hitch on it. Having to have a transmission replaced twice now, within 90k miles is odd. They either ran the hell out of it, or were towing and the transmission overheated too many times. I had an AVENGER, and I towed a boat with it for a year, and there was no damage to the transmission, just odd that a redesigned by MERCEDES (so I was told here) transmission would fail twice in 90k miles. Abuse would also account for the engine problems.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... there is a tow hitch on it... NOT MOPAR THOUGH... somebody put it on... I bought the jeep with it already there... I have never towed anything with it!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
To have a transmission replaced TWICE (now) is just crazy. Are there any signs that there was a toe package on it? Lots of used car lots remove the hitch so people won't know by looking at it, it was used for towing, and I know this FIRST HAND. Look under the back, and see if there is any sign or indication there was a hitch on it. Having to have a transmission replaced twice now, within 90k miles is odd. They either ran the hell out of it, or were towing and the transmission overheated too many times. I had an AVENGER, and I towed a boat with it for a year, and there was no damage to the transmission, just odd that a redesigned by MERCEDES (so I was told here) transmission would fail twice in 90k miles. Abuse would also account for the engine problems.

KJ 42RLE is 100% ChryCo.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Any 4XXXX 4XXX, 6XXXX or 6XXXX, or heck for that matter... 5XXXXX Transmission was and is 100% Chrysler.

The ONLY transmission which came from Daimler or even so much as touched by Daimler was the W5A580.... which in Chryslers... is casted by Chrysler, built by Daimler, final assembly... Chrysler.

In addition, your JEEP kinda sounds like MY AVENGER... lemon from day one, each owner hates the issues, dumps it to some other unsuspecting soul... never to be owned long term by anyone.

Last edited:

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not short term for this guy... I love it... It just needs a little, or A LOT, of attention... and that's what she'll get... If I can fix everything and keep up with normal maintenance she should last forever... This one's not going anywhere!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not short term for this guy... I love it... It just needs a little, or A LOT, of attention... and that's what she'll get... If I can fix everything and keep up with normal maintenance she should last forever... This one's not going anywhere!

You have a lot more patience than I did! :) lol3.gif

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score