Removed the valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we just delete this damn thread and I'll start a new one that MIGHT just MIGHT give me the answers I need... I mean seriously... Why is Jeepkj.com even here? It's for people like me AND everybody else to find answers, get help, GIVE help, learn about new stuff, tell/show people about new stuff... That's why this place is here... I'm trying my best to not screw this up, and if I do... It's MY car; MY problem. All I'm asking is that you guys help me as best as YOU can so I don't! Thank You!

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys and or gals, lets just calm down and take a minute :D

Just a discussion on how we should conduct ourselves, Digger. No biggie. Since we aren't face to face these sort of things need to get ironed out from timr to time. No heat on my end.;)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we just delete this damn thread and I'll start a new one that MIGHT just MIGHT give me the answers I need... I mean seriously... Why is Jeepkj.com even here? It's for people like me AND everybody else to find answers, get help, GIVE help, learn about new stuff, tell/show people about new stuff... That's why this place is here... I'm trying my best to not screw this up, and if I do... It's MY car; MY problem. All I'm asking is that you guys help me as best as YOU can so I don't! Thank You!

Why delete it? The beginnings of your answers are in here. Don't sweat the bullcrap. Grab the wrenches and get busy. Powerslave and others will help you along.

Suggestion: Separate your symptoms so that it doesn't look like you think they are indicative of one single problem. It all went wrong with me when your initial post seems to indicate you think coolant loss, Burned ?? #6 plug, #4 exhaust vale, etc are all linked together. This level of expertise is not conducive to doing the level of repair work necessary. Even the verbage was confusing. Even a later entry about having your oil changed makes one wonder. NOOBs to autos change their own oil. Help us help you.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't this thing with the rocker arms falling off have something to do with the valve seats dropping out?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't this thing with the rocker arms falling off have something to do with the valve seats dropping out?

Yeah wasn't there a similar post about this occurence on LOST a while back?

NOTE: I am a member of that other forum, LOST, but i mostly lurk over there as posting there is akin to kicking ones self in the *******.

As for this forum, sometimes people get their undies in a bunch but it always irons out.

I second some pics of the problem if possible, might give the more knowledgeable guys here a chance to look it over and give some better suggestions.

Although i know your dying to fix this problem yourself, i think you have two choices here, and neither are cheap... Take it to a shop, or take the head off yourself and take that to a shop. At least then you could do the head removal and installation yourself in your spare time and save the labor costs involved there.. But its a heck of a job, i could do it if i really really had to, but even with my experience i would rather pay someone to do it.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Cylinder 4 Exhaust side without rocker

Cylinder 4 Intake side without rocker and lash adjuster removed

Cylinder 6 Exhaust side

Cylinder 6 Intake side

Camshaft

Chain is tight and aligned on teeth

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that could cause a problem, lol... I have changed my oil religiously like I'm supposed to. Do I need to look at the oil pump to see if it is clogged or something? What else needs to be looked at due to this issue? Also, is there a recommended way to removing it from the entire engine without tearing the whole thing apart? I found some hoses that appear to have oil leaking from them or atleast building up on them(haven't been able to get my hands in there yet to get a better look).

From top behind fan housing

From underneath (bottom of power steering

Closer shot from underneath

One hose looks like a breather hose, and I think the other two are for the powersteering...? it appears to be oil...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that could cause a problem, lol... I have changed my oil religiously like I'm supposed to. Do I need to look at the oil pump to see if it is clogged or something? What else needs to be looked at due to this issue? Also, is there a recommended way to removing it from the entire engine without tearing the whole thing apart? I found some hoses that appear to have oil leaking from them or atleast building up on them(haven't been able to get my hands in there yet to get a better look).

From top behind fan housing

From underneath (bottom of power steering

Closer shot from underneath

One hose looks like a breather hose, and I think the other two are for the powersteering...? it appears to be oil...
You have a power steering pressure line leaking from the looks of those pics.

For the engine sludge...........

When you get the engine running again run the engine up to normal operating temp,shut off and add about 3/4-1qt of kerosene/diesel or 1 bottle of SeaFoam to the engine oil,start back up and run for about 10-15mins and then drain really good(leave oil plug out for at least one hour) and change the filter and refill.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not an engine guy, but I sure am curious at 90k miles what in heck has caused this mess. Is it that the keepers went/seats with an over revved engine? TjKJ you work on these motors..WTF is going on here?
I think I will have my motor flushed more often after looking at these photos.
Even though I completely understand from a financial point of view, that completing the work myself is in order, at this point I would rather tear down the top of this motor and send the heads out for cleaning, and have all the valve springs measured, get both heads done back to specs, to have a peace of mind/ hopefully a long service life ahead.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will I know if the seafoam made it through the system, as I suspect I have an oil pressure problem... Is it going to smoke out the exhaust just like it would from pouring it into a vacuum hose or intake?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not an engine guy, but I sure am curious at 90k miles what in heck has caused this mess. Is it that the keepers went/seats with an over revved engine? TjKJ you work on these motors..WTF is going on here?
I think I will have my motor flushed more often after looking at these photos.
Even though I completely understand from a financial point of view, that completing the work myself is in order, at this point I would rather tear down the top of this motor and send the heads out for cleaning, and have all the valve springs measured, get both heads done back to specs, to have a peace of mind/ hopefully a long service life ahead.
Many factors can cause what happened to happen,the biggest factor is "mass production",you will get a few bad ones,a few real good ones,and alot of average ones.Others factors include how the vehicle was driven,what oil was used,what filter was used,to list a few.

ShadowedXistence How will I know if the seafoam made it through the system, as I suspect I have an oil pressure problem... Is it going to smoke out the exhaust just like it would from pouring it into a vacuum hose or intake?
If it smokes out the tail pipe after adding SeaFoam or Kerosene/Diesel to the oil you got major problems(or left it in to long).SeaFoam and Kerosene/Diesel are really good cleaners for oil sludge and carbon buildup but you do not want to run it to long in the crankcase as it will "wash" the cylinder walls down and that is bad.10-15 mins at operating temps is all that is needed,and if your **** about it(like I am) after draining the oil and changing the filter(using cheap oil and filter) I will run it for another 10-15 mins then drain the oil and change the filter again to make sure all that stuff is out of the engine.Then I will add the good oil and good filter and go on my merry way.Plus when you drain the oil you will see it will be very black and nasty looking.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you always owned the Jeep SX? What brand of oil do you use and how often do you change the oil? Im just curious..

And adding to what TJKJ said, those power steering hoses can rub against another and rub holes in themselves. They can also just wear out over time and need replacement.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what the previous owner did. I bought it at 64,000 miles. At 82000 miles I had to put a new transmission into it... and now this laundry list of problems... such as leaking power steering, leaking coolant, misfires, and sludge appearently... I've kept up on the regular maintenance, but obviously that wasn't enough!

Latest posts

Members online