Valve cover leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhkj04

2004 kj
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the things I’ve done well with this liberty in a year it’s the valve covers I just can’t win. Head gaskets so far so good, lift good but these damn valve covers haunt me. What am I missing? Passenger side I’m on gasket 2 and it was dry for a few months now is leaking again in the back lower corner. The drivers side is on gasket 3 plus rvt and it’s never been dry this year. They drip just enough and only on the exhaust overnight to smoke on the next start up. Do I have a pressure issue pushing out of the cover?

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 6

Lemon-T

Reaction score
If the leak is coming from the same place every time. You may have some kind of warp or deforming where the cover meets the engine. Letting oil leak through.

Jhkj04

2004 kj
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up- finally I just ordered a set of plastic covers with integrated gaskets and it’s done. Online for $80. The factory style gasket is terrible or my stock metal covers had been wrapped so the new set has a groove the gasket fits into on the cover side then only flat seals to the head.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've never changed the PCV valve on your rig, it may be worth doing that. If it gets clogged then the crankcase pressure could rise and cause leaks like you've experienced. The PCV is supposed to allow the excess gasses to flow back to the intake and be combusted. (PCV = positive crankcase ventilation, I think)

kylejeep

Reaction score
I've got valve cover gaskets to change soon.
Planning to do it at the same time I have stuff disassembled for the UCA and shock replacement.

Good or bad idea?