Autel MaxiTrip™ TP100 4-in-1 Auto Computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Get your step daughter to get the shot don't bother fumbling with camera, while driving.
Lets not get any problems over this thing ok..be safe.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha... no worries, I'm not taking pictures at 120 km/h! Just kidding, I probably should have winked ;)

Well I didn't have to pick up my stepdaughter after all, but I decided to go for a little drive and play. Not while driving, I stopped to make adjustments :)

With a little trial and error, I have arrived at a number between 71 and 72% speed adjustment, when compared to my GPS. :eek:

71 was a bit too low, 72 a bit high - 1/10 km over 6 km, either way, roughly. A longer drive would be required to get a more accurate read on the variation.

I figure since my Odometer reads a bit high too (I didn't reset the odometer every time, just worked with the GPS) the 72% number should be closest in my case.

That said, I have no idea if anything else the damn thing displays is accurate!

I will manually calculate my next fill up and compare to the unit's fuel economy numbers - if it's close, I will at least think about not returning it.

Then I will have to try it in the car! ](*,)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I told you I would be close at 70% ...=D>
SO now that you are close to km travelled it should help determining km/distance into L to 100km readings.
I think you tell it when u fill er up..and when you refill you tell it again, with how many litres it took to fill it. Then it must recalculate to give you better readings. Question: If a trip is only remembered for 24 hours in this unit,how can it remember WTF happens in a week from now, when u re-fill it?(popcorn)

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I told you I would be close at 70% ...=D>
SO now that you are close to km travelled it should help determining km/distance into L to 100km readings.
I think you tell it when u fill er up..and when you refill you tell it again, with how many litres it took to fill it. Then it must recalculate to give you better readings. Question: If a trip is only remembered for 24 hours in this unit,how can it remember WTF happens in a week from now, when u re-fill it?(popcorn)

Yep, you were closer than me! :)

You have that about right I think - I filled it yesterday and told it so without any corrections. Next time you fill it you correct it so the fill amount matches the calculated amount.

I will also do a manual calculation of fuel economy and see how it matches up.

I think it has various data points for the trip meter - I can clear the "TRIP" data at any time, which is how I was doing my testing last night. However the 24 hr and Tank and Total data is retained as far as I know.

However since I usually drive my car to work, my further testing next week will move over there. I Think I will reset the unit to factory defaults and start fresh.

While it is "portable" between vehicles, I am now realizing that it's not so practical to do so as there are vehicle-specific settings and data accumulated which I assume would be messed up if you switched - I'm guessing it doesn't accommodate data for multiple vehicles? Does anyone know if the Scanguage II does?

It's been fun! ;)

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for going through trail error corrections/ rolling reviews !(Cheers)
Actually moving it to another vehicle will be easy once you got the settings for both the kj and car. (You are lucky you have a GPS too)
Yes you will have to go through the set up munu again after a re-set to default clear out of kj info, but what the heck this unit is very reasonably priced and will clear codes, get your engine CEL light off, without having to remove the battery ground cable.

Now you can help your neighbor$.. rockon.gif LOL

If you can keep us up to date how it works on the car, in the next series of how to correct the corrections in two vehicles ****-Trip saga...cont'd..
It's almost better / more fun than watching TV !(woot)

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final status: Taking it back

Well folks, this will be my final word on this device, as it's going back to the store.

Aside from the huge error in the "Distance" calculation, which was corrected by a 71-72% speed adjustment, this unit seemed to perform fine on the Jeep.

I did not have it on the Jeep long enough to verify the fuel economy calculations, unfortunately, but the indicated average seemed to be in line with what I have calculated in the past (around 18 mpg).

I tried it this week on my 2004 Mazda 6, and was not so successful, unfortunately. The unit was flaky as hell, and frequently reset itself in one of two ways:

1. In the CURRENT trip mode (where I usually ran it) the unit would stay running, but the LHK display (or MPG in "English" mode) would blank and show --- for a few seconds then it would come back, but the KM (or MI) distance display would reset to 0.0.

2. The unit would turn itself completely off, and come back on at seemingly random times. Also if I pushed the far left button when it was off it would come back on. The CURRENT trip data would be reset to 0.0.​

This happened multiple times on even short trips, and never even gave me enough time to start testing for speed correction as I did with the Jeep. I double-checked all the connections and it seemed to be plugged in fine.

The one other thing that happened which I can't say 100% is due to this unit but it certainly seems to be more than coincidental, is that one time when the unit turned itself completely off, my dashboard gauges (NOT the lights, just the gauges) appeared to lose power momentarily - the RPM and speedo needles dropped and then popped back up again. I'm not sure if the fuel and temp gauges did or not.

Frankly it happened quickly and I'm not sure what if any of the indicator lights went on or off, but I know the overall dash illumination stayed on. The only strange thing after the fact was the traction control light (which normally only lights when the traction control is engaged) stayed on permanently until I shut the car off, and then didn't come back.

So, I don't know if this is a glitch with this car, or between this car and the unit, or the unit is just flaky, but it is of little use to me if I can't use it with both vehicles and I question it's reliability/accuracy.

I also have had no response to my inquiries to the manufacturer about the speed/distance problem.

So it's going back!

I hope this thread has been helpful to those of you who purchased or were contemplating doing so!

Dave

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It was a gift from Jennifer...

I've had one of these "MaxiTrip" 4 in 1 Auto computers for the last
couple of weeks (14 Day's) and it has been "Dead on" as far as
accuracy is concerned.
A pretty good little gizmo. It has some stuff that too me is of no
importance, for example Max speed, Average speed, driving time
and some other crap that you would normally get with one of those
EVIC overhead consoles. (Which I fortunately do not have, along with
cruise control and audio controls mounted on the steering wheel.)

The verdict is still out as too whether or not I am going to
keep it or not!

I'll play with it for another couple of weeks and then see what I think
about this "Toy"

Cheers
Ry'

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by this device however the nearest Princess Auto store is three & a half hours away (yes, most of us Canadians still measure time non-metric :D). Next weekend I'll be in a town with a PA and I'll buy one to try out.
Here's a link to the PA ad; MaxiTrip

You can find a link to a manual for the device on that page too.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had one of these "MaxiTrip" 4 in 1 Auto computers for the last
couple of weeks (14 Day's) and it has been "Dead on" as far as
accuracy is concerned.
A pretty good little gizmo. It has some stuff that too me is of no
importance, for example Max speed, Average speed, driving time
and some other crap that you would normally get with one of those
EVIC overhead consoles. (Which I fortunately do not have, along with
cruise control and audio controls mounted on the steering wheel.)

The verdict is still out as too whether or not I am going to
keep it or not!

I'll play with it for another couple of weeks and then see what I think
about this "Toy"

Cheers
Ry'

Hey Ry,

Did you have to make any adjustments to get it to be accurate? Is your "distance" reading correct? Based on what I read, if the Distance was off then the calculated fuel economy would be off.

As you recall I had to make a huge correction to the Speed to get the Distance to read accurately.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think of this "MaxiTrip" computer Tim?

I have not been rollin with it yet, only stationary, as the Kj still is in storage mode til next week.
Ryan you stated it was dead on, was your distance and speed dead on without corrections? Seems like many of these units were out by many km's.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've managed to get my hands on one of these devices. It was behind the counter at the Princess Auto store.

Now I haven't had much time to play with it to compare it's MPG readings and compare them with my calculations but I do find the speedometer to be dead on accurate with my GPS which I find odd because the dash speedometer isn't accurate, it reads high. I have had my BCM set for my 245/75R16 AT's and I set the tires size within the MaxiTrip too.

I like the ability to monitor the various temperatures & other data but was disappointed that it didn't include the transmission temperature. I guess I'll need to put in a separate gauge for that purpose. It should be useful should I ever have an error condition like a bad sensor.

One fault I can find with this device is the brightness level. At night it can be blinding.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of Autel **** Trip Or Scan gauge II mounted?

Anyone have pics of the Autel **** Trip or the Scan Gauge II Mounted in your Jeep?

I'm scratching the idea of making a custom EVIC mount for purchasing either the Autel **** Trip or the Scan Gauge II. But would like to see them mounted in the Liberty.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pics of the Autel **** Trip or the Scan Gauge II Mounted in your Jeep?

I'm scratching the idea of making a custom EVIC mount for purchasing either the Autel **** Trip or the Scan Gauge II. But would like to see them mounted in the Liberty.

I mounted mine in front of the shifter;
You must be registered for see images attach

The extra cable is tucked under the console.

Also I have an EVIC in the overhead console. The best of both worlds.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine in front of the shifter;
You must be registered for see images attach

The extra cable is tucked under the console.

Also I have an EVIC in the overhead console. The best of both worlds.

thanks LibertyFever thats what I was looking for. Seems like it's small enough to mount just about anywhere. Think it will fit on the dash panel to the right or the left of the steering wheel just below the instrument cluster and will it be able to be clearly seen?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose I should mention the one problem with the MaxiTrip; the LCD's backlight is real bright at night and there's no dimmer function. Sometimes when the glare is too much I'll just flip the unit face down.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update, even though I threatened to take it back, I still have it. I have not done much with it since then however, but it has come in handy for checking/clearing codes a few times! Mostly it lives in the glove compartment :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We use ours everyday. It paid for itself the first time I used it to read the trouble codes for a cylinder misfire! Money well spent.
I switch it over to miles per hour for Jen when traveling in the U.S. and also make use of all the features of the trip computer in it.
All in all it's a pretty cool and was worth the $70.00 we paid for it.