New '03 Sport 3.7L Owner with a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am proud new owner of a Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L with Command-Trac, Track-Loc and 3.73 rear diff.

I will mostly use it for fishing trips with involved a little off-roading. No rock crawling and/or deep mud, just the average trail to given lakes. I do have another subcompact car for every day commuting.

It came with factory 215/75/R16 (Goodyear Wrlanger ST) but this size is hard to find within the tires I'd like to have and they usually cost more. I do have 16x7 aluminium OE wheels.

I'm looking for All-Terrain models with the Three peaks/Snowflake pictogram on as this is a requirement here for winter driving. I have way more choice in the 235/70R16 but wondering about the speedometer/odometer and transmission shift timing ? This is .3 inches taller will this make a difference ?
General Tire Grabber AT2 or BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 were my first picks and cost more or less the same. I was also wondering about MPGs by going wider and taller as this rig is already kinda gaz guzzler. I should be haulin' either my 4wheeler (around 1000 pounds) or our 12' aluminium boat (which weight like 300 pounds trailer included)

If the difference is not an issue either on speedo/odo/transmission or MPGs, I'd prolly opt for 235s as they have the model I want and I will get a micro tad more ground clearance and winter driving as bonuses.

As a second issue, I was looking for a headunit replacement for the crappy OE radio. I would like to satisfy my geeky side with a full-fledge Android headunit and this implies doing the 2DIN conversion. I was worried that the depth could be insufficient with these units and was also wondering about wiring issues and or cigarette lighter removal issues (as read here)

This is the unit I'd like to install but I'm willing to look at sub-200$ units. I'm not sure if this one includes the GPS antenna...

I am also looking for roof rack as I am often fishing from kayaks which I used to carry on top. I tried online ads for used one but wasn't able to find one. I will probably end up buying the Sportrack SR1009 when it gets on sale at Canadian Tire. Anyone has experience with that rack ?

Thanks,

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! That "upsized" tired is actualy an OEM spec for some models. You should not see a crazy loss of MPG. Tire choice though may change that. The grabber AT2s are nice but I am not sure they are snowflake rated. Not the best in snow or mud but great traction on regular trails.

The head unit replacement has been done here a bunch of times! There is some plastic cutting involved. Google it for replacement as I cannot locate the thread right now. The harness is no problem as crutchfield and friends have harnesses that can plug and play.

As for roof racks try building one!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how much sag you already have you could possibly go up one size to 245-70-16s, like mentioned 235-70-16s were stock size
If it hasn't already sagged down an inch I'd go up to 245-70-16s I ran them on my 04 when I first bought it new, ( stock tires were terrible) and noticed no mileage difference at all really
For roof racks remember side rails are only good for 150 lbs and if not mounted right some roof racks end up being 4-6 inches off the roof making good wind catchers is about all
For tires would try and find another tire, wouldn't run either . The new BFGs are suppose to be a little bit better but you're paying for name and heard they are not that much different than the old ones.
Grabbers?? Some seem to like them but..........

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 245/70/16s Michelin ATs on my super saggy 02 and no rubbing but they have about 95k on them. Not sure how I'd do with something with more tread depth. I have a set of Firestone Destination ATs on my Ranger. Pretty good looking and performing for the price. They won't win any awards in my book but they have been adequate. Not super happy with the wet traction but they do well in the snow and light mud.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well make sure you check. All sizes are not snowflake rated! (Ask me how I know haha)

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad owns the Grabber on its pickup and they are "snowflaked". I was more leaning toward BFGoodrich A/T KO2 if pricing is similar as I read great all-around comments on these tires. Will ask the sales rep about the Snowflake first or will double-check Can Tire/BFGoodrich site before, I don't want to get fined for that :(

I know these are OEM for some models, but mine came with 215/75/R16 so I guess speedo, odo and shifting is calibrated for this size, I am just wondering if it will change much with a .3" increase, I guess it won't so I probably go that way. I don't wish to go beyond 235/70/R16 for sure. I don't need that much ground clearance as much driving will be done on pavement.

Places I'll be going will be limitating with turning radius and/or Jeep's lenght/width. For theses specific places, I'll use the 4wheeler.

I thought on doing the rack myself with aluminum square bars painted in black and bolted in the stock rails (seen that before) but if the sportrack is real cheap on sale, I might go that way. My concern is that it only support 130lbs and the OEM rack is supporting 150ish... you are right about some rack being overly high, this should not happen with a custom made one as it will rest directly on side rails. This part can wait Spring tho as the yaks are stored for winter anyway.

For the headunit here's what I read so far:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/metra-double-din-kj-kit-57612/
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/double-din-radio-install-my-liberty-55296/

I also read this regarding tires:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/tire-size-change-39894/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 1

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad owns the Grabber on its pickup and they are "snowflaked". I was more leaning toward BFGoodrich A/T KO2 if pricing is similar as I read great all-around comments on these tires. Will ask the sales rep about the Snowflake first or will double-check Can Tire/BFGoodrich site before, I don't want to get fined for that :(

I know these are OEM for some models, but mine came with 215/75/R16 so I guess speedo, odo and shifting is calibrated for this size, I am just wondering if it will change much with a .3" increase, I guess it won't so I probably go that way. I don't wish to go beyond 235/70/R16 for sure. I don't need that much ground clearance as much driving will be done on pavement.

Places I'll be going will be limitating with turning radius and/or Jeep's lenght/width. For theses specific places, I'll use the 4wheeler.

I thought on doing the rack myself with aluminum square bars painted in black and bolted in the stock rails (seen that before) but if the sportrack is real cheap on sale, I might go that way. My concern is that it only support 130lbs and the OEM rack is supporting 150ish... you are right about some rack being overly high, this should not happen with a custom made one as it will rest directly on side rails. This part can wait Spring tho as the yaks are stored for winter anyway.

For the headunit here's what I read so far:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/metra-double-din-kj-kit-57612/
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/double-din-radio-install-my-liberty-55296/

I also read this regarding tires:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/tire-size-change-39894/

As far as speedo all sizes pretty much the same you won't notice any difference at all. Stock sized tires are small for the KJ anyways from the get go. Not sure why you wouldn't want to go up one size??? Turning won't be affected at or or very very little
As far as the BFG you'll read much hoorays from the fanboys but not much from real users MUCH better tires out there for your driving needs

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick with 235s as they suit my need and budget

I'm not sold to BFGoodrich, I need an All-Terrain tire that got the Snowflake pictogram as it's required by law here.

So far what I found:

• BF Goodrich A/T KO2 (still there for comparison)
  • General Tire Grabber AT2
  • Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar

If you have any other models avail in Canada, let me know :)

I will be driving 70% pavement / 30% trail

Trails should be pretty much like:
https://youtu.be/NmUl-hOYRE4?t=86
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWS...d=NmUl-hOYRE4&annotation_id=annotation_655915

Except they'll be more gravel/small rocks than packed dirt so less muddy when raining.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps I have grabbers right now and I'll probably go with the goodyear adventure next time

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Goodyear Duratracs or whatever they are calling them up there
Great in snow , great mileage etc if they have them in the size you want
I got over 90,000 miles out of a set
waaaaaay better than BFG, Generals etc

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps I have grabbers right now and I'll probably go with the goodyear adventure next time

What you don't like about your actual tires ?

Goodyear Duratracs or whatever they are calling them up there
Great in snow , great mileage etc if they have them in the size you want
I got over 90,000 miles out of a set
waaaaaay better than BFG, Generals etc

They don't have my size sadly :(

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in fluffy snow they just don't clear well enough. Same with mud. Hasn't been an issue on dry trails but the minute you go uphill on a slick slope it becomes a problem real quick.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in fluffy snow they just don't clear well enough. Same with mud. Hasn't been an issue on dry trails but the minute you go uphill on a slick slope it becomes a problem real quick.

I guess it becomes a problem when you switch from wet to dry as the tires are emptied enough so they don't grip on solid right ?

Anyone having experience with KUMHO ROAD VENTURE AT51 ?

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
225-75-16s , 29 inches tall will work great in the Duratrac
Same height basically

I've not set my choice yet. This should be done in a month or so I still have time to figure it out. 235s are .3 in but 225/75 are over 1/2" but I will still ask for Duratrac prices.

I already know Grabber AT2 price and I know this shop also carry the BFGoodrich A/T KO2 so I will ask at the same time.

I am wondering about dash trim kit for double DIN installation:
  • I can order the Metra kit for ~50CAD which is more reasonable, also this kit is allowing to use factory brackets, thus being able to revert to stock, but if I get the Metra, I'd hope to get away without triming as I might want to revert to the OEM HU someday. Also the Metra unit do not come with wire harness and the cubby/12v plug seems a little odd. I know the height and width of the unit I want to buy but I don't know the depth yet but since it's a full fledge Android system, doesnt seem small to me.
  • The other one from autoware302 is mounting the head unit on the plastic bezel itself and involve trimming but has the OEM cubby/screw. Also, this kit is costing 125CAD delivered which is way more expensive than the Metra kit.

Another question, if I have something in the 12V and I cut the ignition, it is still powered ?? Normal ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.