Autel MaxiTrip™ TP100 4-in-1 Auto Computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the two things I would love to have it doesnt.. Oil pressure and ****** temp.. Been hoping scan gauge would come out with an update but do far theyve not..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
15 minutes more on unit...

Went to Autel site: Download Software version is 1.1 Checked the Disc that came with unit version 1.1 SAME. On disc is a pdf manual that outlines more info, than the unit's included booklet.
Went to KJ to check the Autel's unit's version. Unit is also 1.1 the latest. No need to bring down notebook to update, it is current.
From what I gather, a few more gauges were added, and update basically was for more vehicle's OBDII code reads capability. (compatible with more Vehicles)

For your Air Scare there is a section on IM, the vehicle emission readiness status.
As well as a host of stuff, that is beyond me regarding emissions.

Suddenly after clicking buttons I am starting to figure this bad boy out.
Like the menu, but often not sure if a single click or double click is required sometimes. Set in time, it was out. Date was fine. Will see if that holds.

Another good place to mount would be in the sunglass holder I call it, left of the 12v accessory, just ahead of shifter...fab a bracket? Easier to work with in your hands, then you don't have to reach. Not really sure if I will mount this permanently yet.

There is a way to make many adjustments, including different tire sizes, which is a factor in the distance and fuel mileage settings...interesting.:)

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after starting all this, I still haven't got me one! Life has been conspiring against me getting to Princess Auto. But I found there's one not too far from work so I plan to go get one on my lunch break. I will probably spend some time in the parking lot after that...

I agree, especially because I tow a decent sized trailer, trans temp would be a welcome addition!

Thanks for all the input guys!

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got it! Fun trip... they are right at the end of a runway at Toronto Pearson International (YYZ), almost got landed on pulling into the parking lot! ;)

And then there was the hot checkout girl...

Wait, what was this thread about? Oh yea... MaxiTrip... lol

Got it, it works, did a quick config in the parking lot and drove back to the office.

Haven't had a chance to really delve into it yet, but I'll keep you posted of anything noteworthy!

Oh and be careful out there guys, I don't want to see a thread about "Crashed my Jeep while playing with my MaxiTrip computer"... :)

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,
Somehow I don't think the MaxiTrip will be YOUR only distraction....
Can you post in Here ASAP on the units actual mileage/km's compared to your odometer, and lets see how accurate it is....

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
LibertyTC,

I don't know what you mean, I don't get distra... hey... is that a duck?

Ummm so what was I saying...

Tomorrow I will reset the Jeep's trip odometer and fire up the GPS, and I will report back here with the results!

I have an 85 km commute so it should get us some good info. I usually don't drive the Jeep daily but have been this week because the car needs brakes bad, getting them done this afternoon but I'll bring the Jeep to play with tomorrow!

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you mention "Duck" Cause in the last few days we got high winds and over 200mm of rain, I just exchanged my shoes for "Webbed Feet"
Look forward to your results !

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention "Duck" Cause in the last few days we got high winds and over 200mm of rain, I just exchanged my shoes for "Webbed Feet"
Look forward to your results !

That's some rain! about 8" for our American friends! Did you get to do any fording?

At least it wasn't snow! :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire forum or the details on this, does it cover all the features and display outputs that the scangauge ii does?

Edit: Doing some comparison. I like the Scangauge II features a little better. Scangauge:

» Fuel Economy
» Fuel Rate

» Battery Voltage
» Coolant Temperature
» Intake Air Temperature
» Engine Speed (RPM)
» Vehicle speed (MPH and KM/H)
» Manifold Pressure
(not available on some vehicles)
» Engine Load
» Throttle Position
» Ignition Timing
» Open/Closed Loop

Maxitrip:

● Vehicle Speed (MPH) ● Manifold Pressure ● Battery Voltage
● Engine Load ● Coolant Temperature ● Throttle Position
● Intake Air Temperature ● Ignition Timing ● Engine Speed (RPM)
● Closed/Open Loop ● Water Temperature

Strange, the Maxitrip lists 'coolant temperature' and 'water temperature' as separate readings. What gives with that?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No fording, just puddle jumpin and road flooding.nervous.gif
It is snow in Whistler and Mountains, ski runs & openings one month early.
Looks like it is going to be a successful Winter Olympics Here...=D>
Have a week off in Dec and going into Rocky mountains with SNOW !!
KJ eats snow like it does not exist..drive.gif

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire forum or the details on this, does it cover all the features and display outputs that the scangauge ii does?

Edit: Doing some comparison. I like the Scangauge II features a little better. Scangauge:

» Fuel Economy
» Fuel Rate

» Battery Voltage
» Coolant Temperature
» Intake Air Temperature
» Engine Speed (RPM)
» Vehicle speed (MPH and KM/H)
» Manifold Pressure
(not available on some vehicles)
» Engine Load
» Throttle Position
» Ignition Timing
» Open/Closed Loop

Maxitrip:

● Vehicle Speed (MPH) ● Manifold Pressure ● Battery Voltage
● Engine Load ● Coolant Temperature ● Throttle Position
● Intake Air Temperature ● Ignition Timing ● Engine Speed (RPM)
● Closed/Open Loop ● Water Temperature

Strange, the Maxitrip lists 'coolant temperature' and 'water temperature' as separate readings. What gives with that?

That is funny, I hadn't noticed that! :eek:

What you have listed for the Maxitrip above is only it's "Digital Guages", that is a seperate set of data from the "Trip Computer" set:

● Maximum Speed ● Average Speed ● Driving Time
● Driving Distance ● Fuel Used ● Trip Fuel Economy
● Distance to Empty ● Time to Empty ● Fuel to Empty

So the Fuel Economy / Fuel rate you mention in red should be covered by this.

I am not familiar with the ScanGuage II so I can't comment on what else it does or doesn't do, just thought I'd point that out.

Dave

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I collected some data on the way in this morning. To our American friends, sorry it's all Metric but that is how we roll around here ;-)

Here are my distance readings:

Odometer: - 86.2 km
GPS: ------ 87.47 km
MaxiTrip: -- 52.3 km

So the Odometer and GPS are pretty close. I'm running 245-70-16's, slightly bigger than stock.

As for the MaxiTrip, seems to be a bit off, out of the box! :rolleyes:

However, the MaxiTrip's speed reading is within 2-3 km/h of the GPS.

From the other forum thread I posted earlier, I think this post sums up the issue:

08-28-2009, 02:40 AM #57 (permalink)
gtg465x
EcoModding Lurker

I too was once on the verge of returning my Maxitrip, but I finally got it figured out.

There is one major bug that throws off a lot of the Maxitrip's calculations. The distance driven is based off speed, but for some reason it's being multiplied by approximately .75. Miles per gallon is calculated using distance, so if the distance is wrong, almost everything is wrong.

To fix it, adjust the speed calibration value so that your distance driven is correct. 1.32 is a good starting point. Obviously your speed will no longer be displayed correctly, but you have a speedometer in your car already so who cares.

After doing that, my mpg readings are very accurate (within 1% of what I calculate when I fill up)

So you can have correct speed, or you can have your speed off and everything else be correct but not both.

Hmmm.

I might try this afternoon to correct the speed by a factor matching the difference in distance, and see what that does to the distance and other readings on the way home.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mini-Trip

Dave,Thanks for your rollin check out.
Is the speed calculation done by the tire size thing through menu? 1.32 factor.
Is that how you input corrections, I will also need to program correction in.

Let us know how that works....:confused:

Ya I don't want the KMPH displayed anyways, but having the fuel usage correct would be nice...drive.gif

Sounds like some fine tuning on that firmware is in order...crazy.gif

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it appears we need to correct the speed, page 14, section 2.8 of the manual. I set it to +32% as a starting point, I will see how that looks on the drive home.

Definitely would appear to be a bug in the firmware, but one I can live with as well if that is the only major issue...

I sent the Manufacturer a message through their web site, but given what I've read elsewhere I'm not holding my breath!

I will report back this evening.

Dave

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK here we go again, here's my drive home, after adjusting the "Speed" setting +32%:

Odo: --- 87.2
GPS: --- 88.57
Max: --- 68.8

Sooo... we're moving in the right direction :)

It was pretty funny that the Speed indicator was telling me I was doing 151 KMH on the highway!

I'm plugging the numbers into Excel to see if I can make any sense of this, but my math brain is not working to well at the moment... if anyone has any insight please let me know! I have to go out again tonight so will have 2 more opportunities for fine-tuning.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Percentages

Dave, Wow is thing even close to being accurate?
Only way is to take 10km runs, at 42% 52% etc 60 and uh? WTF?(Aeh)kopkrab.gif
Keep up the good (bad) trials...Thanks for trying.....

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... lol it's pretty whacky!

I'm trying to make an edumacated guess based on the numbers... perhaps the 32% quoted on the other forum was for his car and the Jeep is off in a completely different way.

In my original test the unit was 39.3% low on the distance.

I made a +32% change to the speed and now the distance is 21.1% low.

So it's moved 18.2%... perhaps it is inversely proportional by a factor of .5... lol my head hurts!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
30=70

Ya obviously 30 percent aint it.
Try 70 percent and it is 30 percent left...backwards thinking, but I bet I am close. 300kph is cool
in KJ LOL
screwy.gifsmashfreakB.gif

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking that 32 moved it 18, I need to move a total of 39 so I'm looking at 78 :)

And yes, I have to take a picture of the KPH readout when I'm doing about 120... +78%!

I have to go pick up my stepdaughter soon, about 20 km away so I will have 2 more shots at it tonight!