What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that. Just having a really hard shifting into second. Everybody agree its normal learning process

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK spark plug is highly recommended

It isn't that I have an issue with NGK plugs but I have been driving GM vehicles that use platinum plugs as OEM for the past 17 years. After dealing with bank 2 plugs and #6, I don't think I want to change spark plugs more than I have to. The only vehicle I think I have changed plugs on that was more difficult was a 91 Lumina but changing the battery in that was a chore

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are a pain to change however the platinum have a different resistance than the copper thus the issues. I have stuck with the Iridium for about 70k now and since going to copper major change

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys think this is difficult try a 2005 Ford Escape. Gotta take the whole intake manifold and all tubes/sensors/wires off just to get to the rear 3. The liberty is easy. I'm sure the mechanics on this site have some true horror stories. Try a 2000s F-350 with the two part spark plugs for example lol

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't that I have an issue with NGK plugs but I have been driving GM vehicles that use platinum plugs as OEM for the past 17 years. After dealing with bank 2 plugs and #6, I don't think I want to change spark plugs more than I have to. The only vehicle I think I have changed plugs on that was more difficult was a 91 Lumina but changing the battery in that was a chore

Hey, it's your money, your jeep, your problem.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think plugs on the Libery are easy. I had a '92 Lumina; that thing was a PITA. My Astro is a PITA. My '93 Tercel is easy-peasy, but the Liberty comes in right after that.

Copper core NGKs here. Platinums and iridiums just don't work on the 3.7.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drove home through some flooded streets with about 2-3 feet of water...no check engine light = success

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:happy175: :happy175:
The plugs on the liberty are difficult?..
Just cuz you've always done it that way, doesn't mean its the right way. I always used platinum/iridium plugs on my GM cars. Not a good idea for this engine. But hey, theyre your issues, you can create them if you'd like..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Difficult ?
I guess you haven't changed plugs on very many different models then have you:emotions34::icon_razz::icon_razz:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a f-body camaro with the 5.7,the back 2 plugs will take the most experienced tech 5 hours to do.

The 3.7 in a KJ is super easy to change the plugs,a 15min job at most.

If you guys think this is difficult try a 2005 Ford Escape. Gotta take the whole intake manifold and all tubes/sensors/wires off just to get to the rear 3. The liberty is easy. I'm sure the mechanics on this site have some true horror stories. Try a 2000s F-350 with the two part spark plugs for example lol
Not that hard,takes about 60 mins to change those plugs,even less for the newer models with the plastic intake.

Those certian years of the 3 valve 4.6/5.4's with those messed up plugs is way to easy now and takes about 60 mins to do and have never broken a plug since I figured out the trick.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Isn't the trick to do it cold with an impact wrench? Break them loose in a quick burst?

I've only done plugs on the KJ and LR3. Neither are bad. LR3 specs Iridiums so it'll be another 100k before I do them. KJ needs them done shortly, have about 20-25k on the current set.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^The KJ isn't that bad changing the plugs. Usually I get the first 5 changed and then get to #6 and it takes me as long to change that one as the first five but I go slow with that one as I do not want to strip threads. I also take the coolant rez off for a straighter plug access. I am old and slow and take my time and I am careful not to be too rough pulling the coil packs on and off and I lube the o-rings on the coil paks. It takes me like 5 minutes a plug for the first 5 and another 15 minutes for #6. Plus, I double check the gap on the new plugs......(just because) before I put them in. Still less than an hour taking my time.

Dave

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ plugs are easy. Only vehicles I've had that were easier were my EEKs, and that's simply because all 4 plugs face you when you open the hood.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is the official TSB way but results in 50%+ breakage rate,now you run the piss out of the engine for 20-30mins and quickly pull the plugs while it's hot.

Would that be good to do on the KJ too as a way to prevent the plug from coming apart?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my negative battery terminal connector. Thing was not holding on. The hard shift i am having after the trans swap from 2-3 is practically gone. It does it twice after start up. Then it shifts like butter. My folks just got a new honda civic and my kj shifts just as good. No clunk no clicking if you couldnt hear the rpms you would barely feel the shifts. No joke. I am very happy and a little proud of the work we accomplished.