What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got under the jeep. Passenger side CV axle has some play. How bad of a job is that? Yayyyy

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not bad. I'd replace the intermediate shaft too.

Just take the knuckle out, whole CV joint will slide out then the intermediate shaft comes out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When some want to paint the rear diff or diff cover they crawl underneath and spray away or even remove the cover.
I pull the whole diff out and sand/ paint/ wax
just got started so ..................:emotions34:
Not sure what color to paint the Crane this time, may go back to original color
You must be registered for see images attach

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. CV shaft is fine. How much play in the rear end is normal? What typically goes bad in the rear end? I already replaced the upper control arm

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Update. CV shaft is fine. How much play in the rear end is normal? What typically goes bad in the rear end? I already replaced the upper control arm

Lower arms go bad as well , check them out
But if they are bad the rear will do the Watusi going down the highway
especially on 670 headed south towards Airport Highway

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score

replaced upper with mopar ? if not it could be bad again, doesnt take long for the aftermarkets to go

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced upper with mopar ? if not it could be bad again, doesnt take long for the aftermarkets to go
Thats still good. Im talking about rolling the wheels back and forth.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you track down the noise?

I've got a squeak that has to be in the sway bar/body mount bushings. There's nothing left from the OME lift and the same squeak was there with that lift. I'm curious to learn what you find :waytogo:

Bob

I gave up and went fishing this weekend. :fishing1:
The noise started after new JBA lift and UCA's last June. Barely heard it but its been progressing and is loud now. When in the vehicle it sounds like its coming from directly underneath the center console. Outside, it sounds high up on the passenger side. Marlin from JBA suggested the vales on the front shocks could be squeaking. To me it sounds more like a chirping noise. When bouncing the Jeep parked it takes a lot of movement to create the sound. Driving it takes very little to make it chirp. I could not take it anymore after my last time wheeling it all day and am embarrassed to even get back on the trail until i can fix it. I only live an hour away from JBA so I may call them up ans see if they can take a look and verify everything was installed correctly. So far the two off-road shops i took it to could not determine what it was and fix it (or maybe just did not want to take the time to track it down)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The noise started after new JBA lift and UCA's last June. Barely heard it but its been progressing and is loud now. When in the vehicle it sounds like its coming from directly underneath the center console. Outside, it sounds high up on the passenger side. Marlin from JBA suggested the vales on the front shocks could be squeaking. To me it sounds more like a chirping noise. When bouncing the Jeep parked it takes a lot of movement to create the sound. Driving it takes very little to make it chirp. I could not take it anymore after my last time wheeling it all day and am embarrassed to even get back on the trail until i can fix it. I only live an hour away from JBA so I may call them up ans see if they can take a look and verify everything was installed correctly. So far the two off-road shops i took it to could not determine what it was and fix it (or maybe just did not want to take the time to track it down)

Most so called off road shops see a KJ and right away get an attitude and don't want to mess with it :gr_grin:
Betcha I could find it :icon_razz:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Get a (Relatively tall) friend to rock the Jeep back and forth via the roof rack, then use your ear (and athletic crawling ability) to find it. That's how I found my squeaky shock.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a (Relatively tall) friend to rock the Jeep back and forth via the roof rack, then use your ear (and athletic crawling ability) to find it. That's how I found my squeaky shock.

Did it sound anything like this?
You can start hearing it at 46 seconds in on the video. At 3:45 min mark it chirps going down the hill quite a bit. The video is from June and its gotten worse.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it sound anything like this?
You can start hearing it at 46 seconds in on the video. At 3:45 min mark it chirps going down the hill quite a bit. The video is from June and its gotten worse.

No sir. Mine ended up being the shock boot rubbing against the shock body. And as we know the JBA shocks don't have boots.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a clunk from the left front that only appears on random bumps. I can hit the same pot hole 10 times and only have it clunk once. Annoying.

I'll just go under there one day and wrench on every bolt i touched not too long ago.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Have you looked at your bumpers and winch mount/winch? My fairlead rattles quite a bit on bumps, maybe there's something up there squeaking on yours.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i said took her up to michigan this weekend near south haven. Went great jeep performed flawlessly 20.5mpg round trip nearly 300 miles no problems. Severe duty clutch kept her under 200 degrees the whole tine woth the ac on. Got to run through an atv trail on the property but didnt get any photos. It was my wifes first time off the road and didnt want to be acting too newbish.

Back to chicago