Toyo Open Country vs Yoko Geolander A/T-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do whatever you want. I'm just interested in reasoning in buying a questionably Trail Rated vehicle and then putting street tires on it. :confused:

If you notice, I am not putting street tires on it. I am asking about A/T's. It's not like I am slapping a set of Goodrich Traction T/A's on it. It's pointless to put MT-R's or a really aggressive A/T on a vehicle that sees dirt a few times a year.

Face it, we have a vehicle that's driven predominantly by soccer moms. Half of them probably don't even know how to use the 4x4 system in their KJ properly. I'm not saying it's not reasonably capable, but to bust my balls over putting *gasp* a more mild A/T on it is ludacris. You wanna talk street tires, look at the crap that came on it OEM. My avatar says enough, I was totally stuck there with SR-A's. Oh, but it was TRAIL RATED with SR-A's!

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am thinking about maxxis buckshot mudder tires... this image doesn't do it justice
You must be registered for see images

i had about 30 of them in my last load out of california, they looked pretty nice, had good sized lugs and voids. just my kind of tire had them on a bigger 4x4 in a 34 inch size, did great til i got over bumper deep
You must be registered for see images

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
1. What the heck happened to this thread?

2. HEMI IS a marketing gimmick. Our 3.7Ls are just as much HEMIs as the "real" 5.7L/6.1L Hemi is. Take the heads off. Neither are true Hemis but both are close.

3. Shouldn't we all be able to get along? Aren't we all here for the same reason? (HINT: It's not arguing over nothing) It's not like he's driving a green '94 Town and Country for God's sake.

4. Are tires the new politics now?!!?

5. We're talking about rubber here.... it's not that serious.

6. In short, we all like what we like. We all bought our own Jeeps with our own money, so we should be able to customize them as we please, and for whatever reason!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk of offroad cake. I have no idea what the average cake is everyone eats here, but all I know is whatever cake I'm eating out here in the Pac NW, I've left the Subarus and the Escapes way behind, passed a wrangler one day going up the mountain and the driver look askance at me as if his feelers were hurt. Eventually we're wheeling up in the mountain and I don't see another soul for the entire day. One day I did see a very large Chevy 4x4 coming up the mountain as I was coming down and asked him how HE made it because there was a washout with about 4" of clearance on either side of the KJ. He said it was 'tight'.

I've gone up hella steep, I've gone over rocky, deep sand and rutted... the only thing I don't touch is mud, and that's because there's no shortage of VIDs on Youtube with huge, SFA wranglers with MT's lookin' perplexed and completely, utterly stuck in it. I'll leave the mud to the rest of you.

I even went on some trails in eastern washington that were detailed on some other 4x4 forum. Bunch of XTerra owners saying they decided not to take the trails because they didn't want to pinstripe their paint. I was tempted to join the forum so I could ask those ladies if maybe they'd prefer to start a knitting circle next time.

We should all get along and realize that in our class, the KJ will beat almost everything.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Trail Rated: It don't meet ur criteria to be badged as such. Does that REALLY make it wrong? I saw a new Malibu today. Badged as a Malibu. I had a '66 Malibu. What I saw today was a poser by ur daffynitions.

a '66 Malibu was a midsize reasonably priced people mover that was bought in droves as a 4 door sedan with a 6 cylinder engine
the '97+ Malibu is a reasonably priced midsize people mover that is bought in droves with a 6 cylinder engine...

Just sayin'

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a '66 Malibu was a midsize reasonably priced people mover that was bought in droves as a 4 door sedan with a 6 cylinder engine
the '97+ Malibu is a reasonably priced midsize people mover that is bought in droves with a 6 cylinder engine...

Just sayin'

That would be my point - 1970 Charger W/HEMI badges in fenders has a hemispherical heads on engine. 2009 Charger W/HEMI badges on fender has hemispherical heads on engine. ;)

Not just a badge. No more gimmick than original.

Just sayin' part II.
________
Dodge Dart

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY!!!!! Lighten up here folks! Everbody getting their ******* in a wad over nuthin. I'm havin fun. If u ain't u takin yerself too dam serious. Just because me n Kevin is going back n forth over a couple of stupid badges don't mean we gonna meet in Kansas and shoot it out. DAM!!!!! You'd think it was the Arabs vs the Jews in here ........ grumble, grumble, grumble ......

Wayne's world (Wayne is me) - the world according to Wayne:

1. If a new Vette can be a Z06 and a new Mustang can be a Shelby, a new Challenger can be a HEMI.
2. If Jeep puts a "Trail Rated" badge on my 4x4 it is.
3. Every vehicle with the Jeep name on it MUST have 4wd. Every 2wd w/Jeep on it is a poser.
4. Every VEHICLE, Jeep n others too, w/4x4 MUST have a minimum of B.F.G. All Terrain tires or equivalent.

Wayne Law.
________
Rd56

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez this thread needs to be closed or at least cleaned out.

Back on topic people!(attn)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back on subject
I have ran the stockers
245-70-16 Destinations
255-70 -16 Kumho KL78s
265-70-16 BFG ATs
and now
265-75-16 Goodyear Duratracs

so far they all have been fairly quiet can talk with out shouting but my favorite so far the Duratracs, quieter than the BFGs I took off and more aggressive, and yes mine is Trail Rated and it goes wherever I point it:)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on subject
I have ran the stockers
245-70-16 Destinations
255-70 -16 Kumho KL78s
265-70-16 BFG ATs
and now
265-75-16 Goodyear Duratracs

so far they all have been fairly quiet can talk with out shouting but my favorite so far the Duratracs, quieter than the BFGs I took off and more aggressive, and yes mine is Trail Rated and it goes wherever I point it:)

Reviews on Tire Rack r higher on Silent Armor. I like the aggressive tread of the Duratrac better. Hummmmm .......
________
****** UPSKIRT

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracks did look good. I'll check the reviews on them too. I was just afraid I'd end up in the same boat with the noise.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's a Jeep

No, but it's OK. My next steps are to lower it 4", throw on as much chrome as I can, and put on some dubs. Anyone need a front axle? I'll yank that sonofagun out too. Hell, maybe I'll just rip the drivetrain out and convert it to FWD.

I mean, if I am not going to go M/T, why own anything that sits more than 2" off the pavement? Anything else is a total waste of a vehicle.

Members online