Toyo Open Country vs Yoko Geolander A/T-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
My Ȼ0.02 worth... For what it's worth...
Buy tyres that suit your needs or blow your hair back!
I was called a poser for having Goodyear M/T R's for our KJ while visiting a local 4X4 shop!
"A waste of real tyres for a not so real Jeep!"

A shame for them really, seeing I was about to drop $1500.00+ on a ARB bumper from them!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Which is why ThunderbirdJunkie does 79 mph in Ohio, 84 mph in Michigan, and 74 mph in KY and Indiana :D

I don't have a clue how you get away with 84MPH here...

My uncle (State Trooper) got pulled over for doing 80MPH by accident. He didn't receive a ticket (What police officer does?), but the point is that he got pulled over.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a clue how you get away with 84MPH here...

My uncle (State Trooper) got pulled over for doing 80MPH by accident. He didn't receive a ticket (What police officer does?), but the point is that he got pulled over.

Marlon - I pull 85+ on the way to the Ren Cen almost every day :p

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, what's the difference here. Toyo Open County A/T

LT245/75R16 10E - (5) are $778 out the door
P245/75R16 109S - (5) are $683 out the door

I think I understand the LT vs P - LT = Light Truck, P=Passenger, so won't the Passenger have less stiff sidewalls? Does this mean that they'll tear a lot easier?

The 109S I get - 109 is the load rasing (1900 lbs IIRC), and the S means rated to 112mph. What does "10E" mean?

Which would you recommend?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On I 75 it's a lot of construction....so it can get slower....

But other than that, 70-75 is about right....80 for passing. One time with the Durango I floored it to 95....but I slowed down real quick....

On I-4, the Slab, to stay alive, I have to 75. Even at that, I'm walking...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fastest I've gone was probably about 125-130 in my old Grand Prix. It was only for a few seconds.

Speedo went to 115 and I buried it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it appears that the 10E means it's rated at 10-ply. Anyone know what the P series would be rated at?

Does ply mean it's more resistant to sidewall puncture/tear, or does it just mean it can load more weight.

I don't really load my KJ with a lot of weight.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
On I 75 it's a lot of construction....so it can get slower....

But other than that, 70-75 is about right....80 for passing. One time with the Durango I floored it to 95....but I slowed down real quick....

On I-4, the Slab, to stay alive, I have to 75. Even at that, I'm walking...

We're not talking about Florida. :) We're talking about Michigan. (More specifically, Detroit area)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So, it appears that the 10E means it's rated at 10-ply. Anyone know what the P series would be rated at?

Does ply mean it's more resistant to sidewall puncture/tear, or does it just mean it can load more weight.

It can carry more weight is its primary function, but the reason is the stronger sidewalls.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's 4mph off at 45. Could be a little variance there too as I was using two different GPS's to check - blackberry and my Magellan Maestro. They both agree, so I trust them more.

Oh, and that's 4mph off AFTER putting 245/70's on.

Well, yeah, if your pinion factor isn't set, sure you're gonna be 4mph off. So was mine after upgrading the tires. But once it's all set, to be 5mph off at only 50mph? That seems a bit too much for my comfort level.

mallcrawler

Reaction score

I might be wrong here but on the P- rated the 109 is the load index at max tire pressure I have P245 75 16 109S on mine and the max tire pressure is 44psi which is 2271lbs. I dont run it at 44psi I use 33 to 35 psi, and if you look at the load index of most 6 ply tires it is 60 to 70 lbs less at max psi than the P-series 245 75 16 109S long story short if Iam correct it be the P series is equal to a 6ply tire. If I am wrong then please spank me and correct me

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tirerack tech info
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

"Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply."

remember it's a rating number - it is not a count

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, if your pinion factor isn't set, sure you're gonna be 4mph off. So was mine after upgrading the tires. But once it's all set, to be 5mph off at only 50mph? That seems a bit too much for my comfort level.

No, you miss my point., My speedo reads 4 mph fast. So, at 45 I am doing ~41. Unless I am thinking about this incorrectly, increasing tire diameter will lead to a slower speedo reading. If my speedo was dead nuts out of the factory and I replaced my 235/70's with 245/70's, one would expect that my speedo would read 45 and I'd be doing 46 or something.

My point is that bigger tires brought me in closer to an accurate read, but it's still off by 4mph at 45.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tirerack tech info
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

"Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply."

remember it's a rating number - it is not a count

That's what I read too.

So, it's a tradeoff from what I have read.

P ride more comfortably and are lighter and cheaper. They corner worse and have a weaker sidewall. Some complain that they feel too mushy, especially with a stock suspension.

LT have siffer sidewalls, handle better, hold loads better, and have a stronger sidewall. They ride more stiff though, are heavier, and cost more.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you miss my point., My speedo reads 4 mph fast. So, at 45 I am doing ~41. Unless I am thinking about this incorrectly, increasing tire diameter will lead to a slower speedo reading. If my speedo was dead nuts out of the factory and I replaced my 235/70's with 245/70's, one would expect that my speedo would read 45 and I'd be doing 46 or something.

My point is that bigger tires brought me in closer to an accurate read, but it's still off by 4mph at 45.

You are correct, bigger tires give you a false slow reading. Because the tires are making fewer rotations per mile.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, bigger tires give you a false slow reading. Because the tires are making fewer rotations per mile.

Right....so my point is despite going bigger than stock, I am still a good 10% slow. That's how "off" the stock speedo calibration is.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I read too.

So, it's a tradeoff from what I have read.

P ride more comfortably and are lighter and cheaper. They corner worse and have a weaker sidewall. Some complain that they feel too mushy, especially with a stock suspension.

LT have siffer sidewalls, handle better, hold loads better, and have a stronger sidewall. They ride more stiff though, are heavier, and cost more.

still not really
the LT can have a weaker side wall and be rated the same ,weight & psi
we had the 225/75 R16 GY ATS's and they were an LT Load Range C
and were rated right around 2100# at 45 PSI ,or in that area
we now have the Yoko AT's in a 255/70 R16 P metric rated at 2200# at 44 psi but no Load Range
The MTR's on the TJ are 32 X 11.5 R15 LR C and 2500# at 50 psi
still an LT but only a 6 ply tire

Yes the Load Range E will have a thicker side wall
they will hold a bead down to 10 psi or lower
they will be harder to put a hole in
They will ride rough
they will make more noise ,due to being stiffer
They are not a good choice for some one who is complaining about noise and rough ride