Toyo Open Country vs Yoko Geolander A/T-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you miss my point., My speedo reads 4 mph fast. So, at 45 I am doing ~41. Unless I am thinking about this incorrectly, increasing tire diameter will lead to a slower speedo reading. If my speedo was dead nuts out of the factory and I replaced my 235/70's with 245/70's, one would expect that my speedo would read 45 and I'd be doing 46 or something.

My point is that bigger tires brought me in closer to an accurate read, but it's still off by 4mph at 45.
mine is off by 4-5mph with 225/75/16s at actual 40mph, it is speedo 44-45mph, at actual 25mph, it is speedo 29mph i was hoping when i finaly get up to 31" size tires it would get closer.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Load range and if the tire is a "LT" or "P" range is not the only consideration.If you plan to go offroad you will want a tire more designed for offroad use,if you never leave the pavement a street tire is what you want(with the at least the min load range as the OEM tires).Yes you can get load range "C" offroad tires,most are load range "C" and do not have alot of load handling compared to a "D" or "E" tire but there basic design makes them withstand low psi and sharp rocks and suc better then a non-offroad type of tire.My new tires are load range "C" and are a 8-ply tire with a max PSI of 35,not good tires if towing but outstanding offroad tires(and really loud:D).

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A point to consider - adding 1 pound to the rotating mass (tire, rim, etc.) is like adding 10 pounds to vehicle weight during acceleration. The stock tires are about as low as u will find and the 3.7 ain't exactly over powering. Ya' might wanna take daily commute red light to red light into consideration.

The tires I'm looking at are 8 lbs/tire heavier than factory. Each tire is like adding 80 x 4 = 320 lbs to vehicle weight when excellerating onto I-10.
________
Medical marijuana doctor

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A point to consider - adding 1 pound to the rotating mass (tire, rim, etc.) is like adding 10 pounds to vehicle weight during acceleration. The stock tires are about as low as u will find and the 3.7 ain't exactly over powering. Ya' might wanna take daily commute red light to red light into consideration.

The tires I'm looking at are 8 lbs/tire heavier than factory. Each tire is like adding 80 x 4 = 320 lbs to vehicle weight when excellerating onto I-10.

Excellent point. Another reason why finding a good, lighter rim can be a boon to your power if upgrading your tires.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I decided to go with 235/75-16's (30"). My KJ originally came with 235/70-16's (29"). Specs are:

235/70 SR-A:
Diameter - 29"
Load - 1984
Rev/Mile: 721
Weight: 32 lbs

235/75 Open Country:
Diameter - 29.9"
Load - 2094
Rev/Mile: 695
Weight: 32 lbs

and I am coming from:

245/70 Grabber:
Diameter - 29.5"
Load - 2150
Rev/Mile: 707
Weight: 38.3 lbs

So, I am remaining at stock weight, but dropping over 6 lbs from my current configuration! :cool:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Rode with Kevin for about 15 minutes. From 0-75MPH.

I'll make this as short and sweet as possible.

These are NOT normal tires. I couldn't hear myself think and could barely hear myself talk. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to hold down a conversation and honestly I don't know how the (censored) he's been able to deal with it for so long.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That bad, eh???

All the General Tires I had were very quiet, but that was on cars...

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

These are NOT normal tires. I couldn't hear myself think and could barely hear myself talk. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to hold down a conversation and honestly I don't know how the (censored) he's been able to deal with it for so long.

Thx for the report. Maybe I'll go for the Toyo's.
________
Weed

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Thanks for confirming, Marlon. I know I sound like a whiny ***** about these things, but they are no joke.

So, who wants a set of 1/2 worn General Grabber AT2's on Friday? $200 for all 5.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cupping. My alignment is a little off, so there is a little more wear on the outside than the inside, but there's plenty of tread on both sides and center. Rotated religiously every 5k when I did the oil change.

I'm not opposed to shipping, but I wouldn't even know where to start or what it'd cost.

Edit - So this doesn't go crazy off-track they are listed in the For Sale section. Please direct any questions over that way. Thanks!

Last edited: