Toyo Open Country vs Yoko Geolander A/T-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my AT2's are still in great shape (maybe 1/2 worn at the worst), but I find myself in a huge debate. For me, they are just too noisy between 70 and 80 mph, and since I work downtown, that's the speed I am at like 80% of the time. My wife also hates them.

So, I am considering trying to sell them on here, or get a store credit for them and pick up some new rubber.

I've heard good things about the Toyo and Yoko A/T's. They are less aggresssive than my AT2's. What are your opinions on each? I am interested in hearing comments on the following:

- Wear
- Noise
- Traction (pavement, off-road, snow)

Right now I am running 245/70's. I am considering jumping to a 245/75 for the new set though.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the Yoko's
I have very little to compare to but I will try
we ran G/Y Wranglers ATS's and they did good on road and fair off road
then we went to the MTR's good on road GREAT off road
now we have the Yoko's great on road fair to poor off road
all on a KJ
I have run the cheepest MT's I could find on my TJ and they did just as good on road
and off as the MTR's
Then I went to SS LTB's and they sucked on road but were the best off road
now I have the new MTR-K's and they are almost as good on road as the Yoko's
and almost as good as the LTB's off road
How ever seeing as how you dont like the noise from the tires you have now
these would not be a good choice
and thinking about it if you have an issue with noise from the tires you have now the only choice will be a true highway tire because even the Yoko's and the GY ATS's made some noise over the stock tires

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the Goodyear DuraTracs just installed them yesterday and they are as quiet or quieter than the BFG ATs I took off and they were pretty quiet, nice open tread design , ride is great

also Firestone Destination ATs are real quie, ran those for 25000 miles did good overall

I know neither is what you asked about but thought I would give you other options

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Toyo!!! TOYO!!! DAng it TOYO!!!!!

/me hearts his Toyo Open Countrys!

Right now, for when these dang Forteras NEED to be replaced, it's between them and the Duratracs. But since I LOVED my Toyos so much... they're still attractive! Why mess with a good thing? ;) My Toyos, I never got fully down to the wear bars, but I'd estimate about 40-45K depending on driving. They wear quick from the start, but slow down from there on. Quiet as a mouse.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One more tire to consider is the Fire Stone Destination AT...

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more tire to consider is the Fire Stone Destination AT...

+1

They have been getting stellar reviews ever since they came to market. They will most definitely be my next set of tires.

You should also add the Michelin LTX A/T2 to your shopping list.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys -

I loved the AT2's when I got them. Yes, they hummed a little and it was cool with me.

These things are just LOUD now. Like, loud enough I can't really hold a phone conversation. I am OK with them with the windows down or the radio cranked as the ambient noise covers for them, but they hum and drone so bad I don't even like to carry on conversation in the car. It gives me a headache.

It's wierd, because they really are wearing great. It's not like anything is crazy out-of-whack.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I have goodyear silent armors, I think there great, decent off road and not much highway noise. Not so good on ice though...:-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty happy with my yoko's. Good in the rain and they seem to be wearing great. At first they seemed soft but now theyve stopped wearing and are holding up great. Definitely a mild A/T but they are good offroad, just not in mud.

I may want some more aggressive tires when I get another set of tires so idk if I would buy these again. Its hard to beat the price at $100 per tire though. Tirerack will ship them to me for $90. I can get them mounted for next to nothing so thats only $490 installed for four new tires. :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run the goodyear silent armors?

Same tread as the GY ATS's I had a few years back
lasted a while ,could have easily gotten 40K
good under most road conditions ,only had them in very light snow
and only once but that was in the TN Smokies on some winding switch backs
but they did fine
sucked off road even on dry dirt
this is compared to the MTR's that replaced them

Fact is simple
quiet and comfortable highway ride = poor off road
good off road = poor on road
you need to decide which one you want because you will never have both
closest I have found to both is the MTR-K's but if the tires you have now are to loud then these will for sure be
and it also looks like you are buying on a budget so that for sure knocks these out

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really happy with my Geolandars. Went from Wrangler ST's (stock) to the Yokos. Excellent tire. Did really well in the snow we had here last year. And considering the price, probably one of the best tires at its price point. They are noisier than street tires, but there's a reason you don't want street tires, so the point is moot. I think I have around 20k on mine. They still have great tread wear left on them. Will probably get again.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

really is it all that different?
this would be like saying that a Super Swamper LTB has a different tread than a standard super swamper bias
close enough
oh and to nit pick the new design is tighter than the ATS
and the 2 center gaps on the ATS are wider ,I have seen the newer ones on the FX4 F150's ,stock tire

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You would not notice the difference between the two unless they were side by side.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to some noise - these Grabbers have just gotten darn noisy. It's loud enough that I can't carry on a phone conversation in the car, and it makes it uncomfortable to have a passenger or to hold conversation with a passenger. When it's just me I can usually tolerate it since the windows are down and/or the radio is cranked.

I fully understand the "A/T's do nothing well" philosophy. For me, they work. I'd like to step back to something a little less aggressive to facilitate the more quiet ride, but I'd prefer to keep something more aggressive than a road tire.

I like the look of the Open Country's over the Geolanders. This may sound dumb, but my biggest hesitation for them is that the wear seems a little more than I'd like (30k on my Grabbers and they are wearing well!) and namely, I'd like to buy an American tire. I am just struggling with the cost of an American tire - we're talking a lot more cash to put on Goodyears, Goodriches, Brisgestones, or the like.

Again, new I didn't mind the hum that these put out. I am not opposed to it at all. These right now are probably as loud, or louder, than most M/T's!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What about the Destination AT....I hear they're pretty quiet.

Latest posts

Members online