Anyone played with the "New" Falken RubiTrek A/T tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I know we are a Wildpeak, Toyo, and Grabber crowd around here, but while researching tires I came across some info about Falken's purpose designed overlanders.
Apparently they are similar to the Wildpeaks for off-pavement, but a touch less aggressive for those of us that have to do long runs on the freeway.
My beloved Toyo Open Country AT3s were wicked good on the Liberty, but ride like crap on the Rubicon and tend to loose traction on wet pavement due to the 2L Turbo's nearly best in class low end torq. I pulled the Toyos off, replaced them with the spare set of factory KO2s, and then sold them at a profit after only 150 miles. I hate the KO2s...they make the Rubicon ride like a beachmaster seal in a mating pile with extra bacon grease.
The price is extremely fair on the Rubitreks.
Hoping some of you have experience with them and can provide input as the only reviews I have found are the Rubitreks on Tacomas and Frontiers.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
You make a good point about what might be good on one vehicle may not be so good on another. Hmmm, perhaps getting Open Countries for my XJ wasn't so smart.

Rubitreks are light truck tyres (hence the reviews you've found) so might not be the best bet for a Rubicon. Having done a bit of digging around, still struggling to see how they different from Wildpeaks, which appear to be a parallel, complimentary range.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling between the widlpeaks, or some michelin crossclimate 2. yes the latter isn't an offroad tire, but damn they're getting amazing reviews from the bigger SUV crowd.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
You make a good point about what might be good on one vehicle may not be so good on another. Hmmm, perhaps getting Open Countries for my XJ wasn't so smart.

Rubitreks are light truck tyres (hence the reviews you've found) so might not be the best bet for a Rubicon. Having done a bit of digging around, still struggling to see how they different from Wildpeaks, which appear to be a parallel, complimentary range.
Yeah, apparently they differ from the Wildpeaks only with tread style. The KO2s and Toyos are also LT tires. After hours more digging online, I found reviews across Tacomas, FJs, Land Rovers and a variety of Jeeps. It appears the ride is indistinguishable, but the road noise is less that same sized Wildpeaks.
I'm struggling between the widlpeaks, or some michelin crossclimate 2. yes the latter isn't an offroad tire, but damn they're getting amazing reviews from the bigger SUV crowd.
Not a fan of the thinner sidewalls on the Michelins, me.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose everyone has their tire preferences.
I have to say that I have had very good overall traction with these.
You must be registered for see images attach

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a set of these on my lady's Ford fusion hybrid. They seem to be a great tire so far and and are aggressive for a passenger car while still being extremely quiet. But I wouldn't consider using them on something that is used regularly offroad.

ThomasKolbe

Reaction score
RubiTrak A/T seems to be Falken's answer to BFG's TrailTerrain ... I'm not sure if there are much different between the brands. We all have our preferences. The important thing is choosing the right type of tire for your use. The brand is, in my opinion, secondary.
I drive cheap Privilio Tracmax M/T on my Liberty and they actually are pretty good offroading. Noisy onroad of cause, but it doesn't see much paved roads anyways :)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So after digging around Google UK, Poland, and Australia I found that what has been said is true: The Rubitreks are a reliable overland tire designed with mid range SUVs (like the popular subarus) in mind. The midsized pickup crowds swear by them for vehicles that deal with inclement weather and lots of pavement and occasional of roading.
I bet they are sweet on a Liberty or Wrangle sport, Cherokees, etc. but underdesigned for the Rubicon.
So, my search continues. the BF Goodrich KO2s will have to suffice for now till I can try out others on Jeep Club members' Rubis.

I also did the chalk dust trick on the KO2s currently on Khan. They ride better at 35psi as opposed to the 37psi the TPMS whines about.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose everyone has their tire preferences.
I have to say that I have had very good overall traction with these.
You must be registered for see images attach
I wore those out finally.
I mean I could go that way again, but I want something different I think.
Plus goodyear is on my shitlist.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a set of these on my lady's Ford fusion hybrid. They seem to be a great tire so far and and are aggressive for a passenger car while still being extremely quiet. But I wouldn't consider using them on something that is used regularly offroad.
that's kind of the debate. I don't *really* offroad this thing. sadly it's more of a mall crawler and toy hauler 3 seasons, and I put dedicated studded snows on it for the winter season of plowing. that being said, I also don't want to compromise the ability to do Jeep Things in it, and it doesn't get driven enough to warrant 3 sets of tires for another dedicated purpose. I'm thinking in reality the AT/3W will be my choice when the time comes.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Rubitrek is available in LT and XL load ratings in the sizes that are relevant to the KJ, which is nice. Seems like this is a really promising tire. Looking at the Falken performance ratings the Rubitrek isn't quite as good in the rain and snow, but quieter on the highway. For where I live I'd go for the AT3W I think, but somewhere warmer and drier would suit the Rubitrek I reckon.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Thanks, that's me pretty well decided on Wildpeaks when the KJ needs another pair of tyres (Rubitreks don't appear to be available here).

Oh, & if anyone's detected a slightly more positive attitude to my KJ that's mainly because finally getting it through inspection - & so being able to drive it on a regular basis - now seems within grasp. All I want for Christmas is some dry weather.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
So after digging around Google UK, Poland, and Australia I found that what has been said is true: The Rubitreks are a reliable overland tire designed with mid range SUVs (like the popular subarus) in mind. The midsized pickup crowds swear by them for vehicles that deal with inclement weather and lots of pavement and occasional of roading.
I bet they are sweet on a Liberty or Wrangle sport, Cherokees, etc. but underdesigned for the Rubicon.
So, my search continues. the BF Goodrich KO2s will have to suffice for now till I can try out others on Jeep Club members' Rubis.

I also did the chalk dust trick on the KO2s currently on Khan. They ride better at 35psi as opposed to the 37psi the TPMS whines about.
I realize I’m talking apples and oranges, but the sweet spot on my KO2’s is 40-42 psi. Gas mileage is better and the handling is less squishy (sorry for the technical language) I imagine I’m about 5-600 lbs heavier too though so who the hell knows.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize I’m talking apples and oranges, but the sweet spot on my KO2’s is 40-42 psi. Gas mileage is better and the handling is less squishy (sorry for the technical language) I imagine I’m about 5-600 lbs heavier too though so who the hell knows.
Seems like a lot of psi?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Yes more than I’m used to but the results are tangible. I’m sure the gross curb weight plays a factor as I’m at 5500 lbs nekkid

Ooops 4300 lbs nekkid

Sooo… about the same as the JL, which means the above is pretty much a waste of bits. :D

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I think a big part off the issue is I got spoiled by the Old Man Emu suspension and the Toyos on Bert. While the Rubicon is comparably more nimble and far more spry, It still has the factory lift and suspension.

Reaction score
Mine have Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Sports, been happy with them. I don't do a lot of off roading but do drive maybe 50-50 on gravel and tarmac. Coopers seem to work nice on both and are quite durable. And not too pricey. Haven't kept an eye on mileage, are now 3 years old and I'm planning to replace next summer. In here we have to have dedicated winter tyres so Coopers are on only in summer, I have studded tires in the winter. My other KJ came with some chinese pos tires, horrible. Have to replace those when summer comes...

myisland64

Reaction score
I just put the Falken Rubitrek Ats on an early 2002 Liberty Sport. I have one of the early ones that sat a little higher before they lowered it in later production runs. I think they were first 500. Bought it from the daughter of a Chrysler executive with only 66K on it about 2 years ago. Put the 235/70R16 Falkens on a month ago and they have been great. Had them on highway and they handled much better than the Goodyear assurances they replaced and better than the original Goodyear Wranglers that I had on a 2004 libby. Road noise was even quieter and handled turns great. took them off road last week in real muck and they performed well. And they look great. I would recommend these to anyone looking at them for the the KJ.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Libbey has 17's and nothing available, at least in stock size. Guess I'll have to go with Wildpeaks come Spring.

jimbobwa

Reaction score
I like my Goodyear Authorities, but can only get about 30,000 miles on them before they gotta be replaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-04-20-50-37-937_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-04-20-50-37-937_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 4