Toyo Open Country vs Yoko Geolander A/T-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound really stupid, but I am basically on board for the Toyo Open Country A/T's except....

1) I really would like to buy a tire made in the good old U S of A.
2) I am just leery of the wear characteristics, although I am thinking I'll get good life out of them. My AT2's are wearing well. I rotate every 5k miles (5 wheel rotation) and I have 30k miles on them. They are maybe 1/2 worn? If I can score 50k out of my next set, I'll be pleased.

I'm kind of gun-shy now about going with something that may get noisy. I'm sure I'll catch hell from the wife if I end up in the same boat that I am with these AT2's.

I'm thinking about jumping to a 245/75 since I can and the price is the same or immaterially more than thr 70 series. I am thinking I'll have to pound the pinch weld, but I *think* they'll fit. These will actually get my speedo closer since I am still a few % slow despite the larger 245/70's I have on there.

Now to debate if I want to spend my "surplus fun cash" on OME+Rancho since my OEM shocks/struts/springs are starting to feel worn at 40k.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How rough are you on tires, Marlon? I drive mostly highway, so 50k may be attainable then, huh? Especially with a 5 tire rotation every 5k.

Not rough at all. I hop on the freeway every chance I get, I try to stay away from city driving, and those Toyos made 3 road trips...

Now these Forteras on the WK are disappointing me... I've got about - that much tread left until I get down to the wear bars. :( I'm in the Jeep right now and my odometer says 27729 miles.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound really stupid, but I am basically on board for the Toyo Open Country A/T's except....

1) I really would like to buy a tire made in the good old U S of A.
2) I am just leery of the wear characteristics, although I am thinking I'll get good life out of them. My AT2's are wearing well. I rotate every 5k miles (5 wheel rotation) and I have 30k miles on them. They are maybe 1/2 worn? If I can score 50k out of my next set, I'll be pleased.

I'm kind of gun-shy now about going with something that may get noisy. I'm sure I'll catch hell from the wife if I end up in the same boat that I am with these AT2's.

I'm thinking about jumping to a 245/75 since I can and the price is the same or immaterially more than thr 70 series. I am thinking I'll have to pound the pinch weld, but I *think* they'll fit. These will actually get my speedo closer since I am still a few % slow despite the larger 245/70's I have on there.

Now to debate if I want to spend my "surplus fun cash" on OME+Rancho since my OEM shocks/struts/springs are starting to feel worn at 40k.

If it sounds stupid then u got company. U sound exactly like me, wife and all ..... except my speedo is off the same exact opposite and wife won't allow lift. I'll just have to live with the speedo problem. I can't do the lift anyway. My left arm is paralyzed and I can't do suspension work since that happened.
________
Magic flight

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sounds stupid then u got company. U sound exactly like me, wife and all ..... except my speedo is off the same exact opposite and wife won't allow lift. I'll just have to live with the speedo problem. I can't do the lift anyway. My left arm is paralyzed and I can't do suspension work since that happened.

It's amazing how far these speedos can be off and still pass through quality assurance.

The problem I have now is I am used to going like 5mph faster than the speedo says and knowing that I am not speeding. I get in my wife's car and by habit I am actually speeding that much more (I typically don't do the speed limit, so it's speeding + 5mph).

I think the saving grace with the tires will be that my wife "tapped" something and really messed her passenger rear door up. So, it's going to cost us $500 deductible to get it fixed ($1200 damage on the estimate). She can't complain too much then ;)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the saving grace with the tires will be that my wife "tapped" something and really messed her passenger rear door up.

Lemme guess, she has no idea what she hit, when she hit it, didn't feel anything or even notice it until one day you said "Honey? What the hell happened here?"

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well by law, I believe the speedometer/odometer must be accurate to a certain percentage, and that percentage is about 5-10%.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well by law, I believe the speedometer/odometer must be accurate to a certain percentage, and that percentage is about 5-10%.

10%?!! Holy cow. At 50mph, you could be going 55? That seems a little wide, but I won't dispute it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10%?!! Holy cow. At 50mph, you could be going 55? That seems a little wide, but I won't dispute it.

Mine's 4mph off at 45. Could be a little variance there too as I was using two different GPS's to check - blackberry and my Magellan Maestro. They both agree, so I trust them more.

Oh, and that's 4mph off AFTER putting 245/70's on.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemme guess, she has no idea what she hit, when she hit it, didn't feel anything or even notice it until one day you said "Honey? What the hell happened here?"

She actually noticed it. I've made her wait a year to get it fixed. I told her it's not through the paint, so it won't rust, and it was her screwup, not mine.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

It's the US Gov't we're talking about here. And several police officers have told me, my uncle included, that is why hardly nobody ever gets pulled over for doing 5 Over. Now 10 over, and you're almost guaranteed a ticket if you get caught.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Put these 245/75/16 on made speedo read correct according to roadside radar stands,2600rpm about 75-76 mph.

Latest posts

Members online