Them's The Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Not till 11 pages will he finally tell us which way he's going. By then he'll be back in Ohio:icon_lol:
That might end up being true. I kind of got out of the mood to work this weekend when I saw the weather forecast. Right now it's 35F and it has been raining all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. I couldn't even generate enough ambition to do the oil and I have all the stuff already sitting here.

I'm also handicapped by living on a steep street and have a steep driveway. Whenever I do anything requiring me to get the thing even partway off the ground I have to park it sideways at the bottom of the drive and let it hang partway out into the street. I may just wait until I'm back in Ohio and do it at the new place. Nice and flat there, but it's an apartment complex so they probably have a bunch of rules, etc., and all it would take is one neighbor to make trouble for me. I may even wait to buy the parts back there, too.

PS: I hope this didn't brake anyone's heart. :icon_lol:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like my rears wore out around 70,000 but the fronts lasts a little longer.

Ive got napa ultra premium rotors on the rear and just regular napa rotors on the front. Adaptive one pads all around. The front rotors warped rather quickly, I wont be buying napa rotors again. Not sure if Im going to get them machined or just buy some new rotors.

What other rotors have people had good luck with besides wagner?

I have Centric rotors up front, probably about 30k on them, no warping. Warping is bit of a misnomer, but no vibrations at all.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Update:

This was put on hold as I am going to be moving back to Ohio in a week. The date kept moving but it looks like a done deal for now. One advantage I will have is that I will have a flat surface to work on in the new place, meaning my jack stands will actually be useful for something. (I have such a steep driveway and live on a steep hill currently, so anything involving getting the Jeep up off the ground is troublesome.)

At any rate, I did manage to get my tires rotated last weekend and used the opportunity to really look things over. Things mostly looked OK, save for the passenger side rear, which had a black film over everything. I hosed all four off with brake cleaner and the problem seems to be greatly reduced. I still plan to do this at some point, but for now I'm going to concentrate on getting moved.

:)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just as a way of thanking those of you who have offered advice, I thought I'd let you know I am getting ready to place my order. I moved at the end of April, spent two months getting settled in, then spent most of July attending funerals...

Any want to talk me out of doing the job myself? :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just as a way of thanking those of you who have offered advice, I thought I'd let you know I am getting ready to place my order. I moved at the end of April, spent two months getting settled in, then spent most of July attending funerals...

Doing front or rears or both?

Word of advice on the rear: If your parking brake works, don't fawk with it :gr_grin:

Front and rear are both pretty easy. The parking brake can be tricky with getting the shoes back in, getting it adjusted well, and figuring out where the pieces that feel out came from.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If you need help................:gr_grin:
Ya know where I am

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brakes arent hard at all. I did the fronts a few weeks ago and will be doing the rears in a couple weeks when I am not traveling as much. I did it in the driveway, because the place I am renting doesnt have a garage, just a carport.

Its a relatively simple job, just looks harder than it is.

Biggest thing with it being a northern car is make sure you have some penetrating oil on hand.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an easy job. Just replace the rotors, it's not much more than having them resurfaced. There's lots of good parts out there so finding some in a price range for your pocketbook shouldn't be hard. It's a good skill to know and it's an easy job so go for it. Save your money for other things.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question out of left field:

How hard would it be to do the brakes while doing a lift? I mean, you have to pull pretty much the same crap off of there, right? :secret:

Latest posts

Members online