Them's The Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If your slide pins aren't seized up, you can take them out and fill them up with brake caliper grease.
Permatex W0133-1828487 Disc Brake Caliper Slide Lube

It's more like $10 at any auto parts store. Anti seize is ok too.

One other thing...you might have already realized this but if the brakes are factory there will be a star kinda washer on one stud on each wheel in front of the rotor. Just brake it off, it actually doesn't do anything as the rotors are held on by the wheel and lugnuts. That threw me for a loop the first time.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger, and shame on those of you who ever doubted me! :happy175:
Thanks, everyone! :favorites13:

Placed the order at 1:00am and nine hours later get the "10% Off If Shipped To The Store For Pickup" offer via email. Put in a call to cancel the order so I can re-do it (we're talking nearly $40 here), then got my shipping notice five minutes ago.

:favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68:

Last night I was hoping for fast shipping. Why does THAT wish come true but all the girls I wished would go out with me in High School never answered my phone calls?

:favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Napa is a strange beast. The one here is at least. I ordered tie rods from them, they said they'll be in next day (and they charged shipping to transfer from the warehouse- no other store has ever charged me shipping if I'm picking up in store). Went to pick them up next day, they weren't there and said they didn't place the order. Why? They said they don't know why they didn't place it and offered no apology.

Not related to your issue, but they likely won't make it easy on you lol.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...they likely won't make it easy on you lol.
Quick. PM me some lottery numbers. You are a wizard.

So today they respond to my request to cancel the order so I can re-order them with the "ship-to-store" 10% discount. That actually went smoothly. I immediately log in to their site a place a new order, licking my chops over the $38 I'm about to save. Since I knew exactly what I wanted it took me about 90 seconds to duplicate it.

The price went UP by over $40! :Violin:

Called their support line back and asked what gives. The lady (who was exceptionally nice) said that stores are franchises and set their own prices on most items. Apparently my local store believes in a hefty markup. Shine that!

I did not pull the trigger on the second (more expensive) purchase and the nice lady was able to cancel the cancellation of my original order. Yeah, I'm confused too. At any rate, the stuff is supposed to be here next Thursday.

And for all you folks who said that doing brakes wasn't hard... :happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Which would also raise the question will one Napa do a warranty exchange with a Napa not in their franchise? I would assume so, but you never know.

It seems like Napa struggles a bit with consumer sales and prefers B2B sales, since they are basically competing with themselves with the online and franchise thing.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry :/
I guess now you know for future reference.
I still very much appreciate it. Had it worked it would have been like a free tank of gas. And furthermore, I think that they should be a lot more aboveboard about the ramifications of offering 10% when it might well lead to the customer paying more. Someday a bored lawyer with a bad attitude is going to have the same thing happen to them and NAPA is going to be answering some awkward questions.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i suppose you could wait till they do the bucket deal. I think that's 20% whatever you can fit in it after buying the bucket for 5-6 dollars.
Also you don't have to wait for the email as long as you see it on the website.

Also some regions in the country has some sort of NAPA membership discount. don't know how true that is. None in my area.

yeah..... being in Tucson isn't the greatest either. Most shipping hubs are in Phx.
I have to wait till tomorrow for a suction line.

luvmykj

Reaction score
I had the same exact problem in my 02 sport 3.7. 40 mph and above it would shudder when applying breaks. I took the wheels off and examined and found my caliper on front drivers side was not working. I bought and replaced it myself which is a fairly easy job and now i have no more shudder! Check the calipers! Let us know. Go to RockAuto they are the best

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless if the caliper piston is stuck.

twice I thought I had a bad caliper and it turned out the old rubber brake hose was the problem. its restriction let fluid go to the caliper because of the foot's pressure. but the fluid couldnt return to the master cylinder on its own or like it should.

so just because the hose isnt cracked or leaking ...doesnt mean its still good!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My parts should be here Thursday and if all goes well they should be installed on Saturday. If things are still troublesome I will definitely look for this issue. (I'll be checking everything in there when I change out the rotors and pads.)

Thanks!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, they showed up on schedule, though I nearly missed my UPS guy. From the way he grunted and groaned you'd think he had a load of enriched uranium on his hand cart. I think I ticked him off when I picked up the pile and carried it into my place with little effort. (I was happy enough to set it all down once I got inside, though.)

I am psyched to do this. TwoBobsKJ has sent me a step-by-step (THANKS!) and I have reviewed a few how-to videos. I am hoping for nice weather on Saturday. The forecast is for sunny and warm with a high of 88.

I do not have a 21mm socket but it looks like that is dead-close to 13/16".

21mm = 0.8267716535433071
13/16" = 0.8125"

The difference is roughly 1/100"

Can I get away with that? Or do I need to make a trip to the store first?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should be ok. The lug nuts on my LR3 are 22mm and I use either a 22mm socket or 7/8".

Which bolt is that for? I've probably used both on it too. Caliper bracket bolt I think? The caliper bolts are 13mm I think. Make sure you put a tab of blue loctite on everything, I had a caliper bracket come off and ruin a rim once and had to be towed home.

Bob is easily one of nicest guys you'll ever meet or that we've ever had on this forum lol.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Which bolt is that for? I've probably used both on it too. Caliper bracket bolt I think? The caliper bolts are 13mm I think. Make sure you put a tab of blue loctite on everything, I had a caliper bracket come off and ruin a rim once and had to be towed home.
I don't remember, but it's on the front end only. Back end is just 13mm and 19 mm which I have. I have also edited my previous post - it's a 21mm I need and it's 13/16" which is the SAE equivalent. Same difference of about 0.01" though.

Bob is easily one of nicest guys you'll ever meet or that we've ever had on this forum lol.
Without a doubt. This is a great place and he is one of the very best of the best. :)

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should be fine. The nut that holds the tie rod to the knuckle is 21mm but I always use a 13/16" socket on it and it's fine.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i can expect a full write up from you when you're all said and done so i can just copy what you did? :D
if only you're closer x.x

I meant this on for your lift!

Can't keep up w/ your threads.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Really the hardest part of the brake job is disposing of the old rotors. They don't fit as well into a storm drain/grate compared to oil or coolant

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the videos from 1AAuto (both of which are about five minutes long), it appears to be hard to screw this up.

(Now watch me go and screw this up!) :Insane:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Really the hardest part of the brake job is disposing of the old rotors. They don't fit as well into a storm drain/grate compared to oil or coolant
But...but...Gaia and whatnot...? :whymewhyme:

No problem, though. We have a creek right at the edge of the parking lot... ;)

(Actually, I hadn't gotten that far yet. Maybe some of the boys down at the marina need a new anchor or two. Or four.) :fishing1:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Creek would work, if you get rid of them down stream.

Or use them as frisbees. Assault frisbees.

Latest posts

Members online