Rocky Mountain Edition or Sport?..Or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I've been wondering..
Ever since I bought my Jeep, I thought and was told by the dealer that it was a Sport model (there was no owners manual of course)
But after finding a website on this forum, I put my VIN into the 'decoder' and it says "Trim Level: Rocky Mountain Edition 4WD, Body Type: Sport Utility 4-DR"
So, what's the difference in a Sport and the RME liberty?
Does that mean I have a Rocky Mountain Sport Edition ? :Insane:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a Sport model with the Rocky Mountain Edition graphics and cosmetics. Do you have some stitched inlays on the front seats? Maybe a badge on the front fender between the wheel well and door? That would be the extent of the differences between the Sport and RME.

For the most part all Libertys were basically the same. The Renegades got a light bar and 160 amp alternator with some graphics thrown in but there really weren't any other options that couldn't be had on any other model. Obviously the Limited got leather, upgraded sound system, blah blah blah. But the Sport could be optioned out with all the goodies to turn it into a Limited and an "almost-Renegade." I'm pretty sure the fender flares were always gray no matter what options you wanted on the Sport. The body colored flares were reserved for the Renegade and Limited.

Bob

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a Sport model with the Rocky Mountain Edition graphics and cosmetics. Do you have some stitched inlays on the front seats? Maybe a badge on the front fender between the wheel well and door? That would be the extent of the differences between the Sport and RME.

For the most part all Libertys were basically the same. The Renegades got a light bar and 160 amp alternator with some graphics thrown in but there really weren't any other options that couldn't be had on any other model. Obviously the Limited got leather, upgraded sound system, blah blah blah. But the Sport could be optioned out with all the goodies to turn it into a Limited and an "almost-Renegade." I'm pretty sure the fender flares were always gray no matter what options you wanted on the Sport. The body colored flares were reserved for the Renegade and Limited.

Bob

No stitching
The only badge says Trail Rated but every KJ I've seen has that
Just wasn't sure why the site said I had the RME and what features made it such
No biggie I guess

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport,Limited,RME,Renegade,and the like are appearance packages only.

"Sport utility" is the class designation for the KJ,it's a "sport utility",it does not refer to your KJ as being a "Sport" appearance package.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

"Sport utility" is the class designation for the KJ,it's a "sport utility",it does not refer to your KJ as being a "Sport" appearance package.

Right..
I just wasn't for sure why it says I have a RME when I thought I had just a Sport model because there's no badges/stitching to indicate what it actually is

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Trim levels actually. And RME was a graphics package not a trim level.

@OP - Usually RME's have flat hoods at the very least. Do you have that?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trim levels actually. And RME was a graphics package not a trim level.

@OP - Usually RME's have flat hoods at the very least. Do you have that?

No I don't
I put my VIN in a couple other websites and it states I have the Sport so I'm sure it was just messed up the first time