Question!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm looking into purchasing a lift, rims, and tires, can I run a rough country 3 inch lift, with 16x8 5x114.3 -5mm rims and 265/70/16 tires? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS SETUP WILL WORK! The -5mm has me confused Is that an offset or what?

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing you should do is go read the lift section in this forum. Then read some more. Then if you have questions ask them. I am sure tommudd will be along shortly to tell you not to even bother with rough country and to go look at jeepinbyal.com.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm looking into purchasing a lift, rims, and tires, can I run a rough country 3 inch lift, with 16x8 5x114.3 -5mm rims and 265/70/16 tires? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS SETUP WILL WORK! The -5mm has me confused Is that an offset or what?

NO

Let me explain why and what your real options are and why
RC is a spacer style lift, while they work on some vehicles they do not on KJs/KKs
The springs are weak on these so when using stock springs you may only get an inch of lift due to springs being sagged an inch or more
So some think buying new springs is the answer but by the time you buy 4 new springs, 4 new shocks and the spacer lift you are up to almost the cost of a full spring lift
Now onto wheels, 8 inch wide is too wide in most cases since you have to run a tire that is wider as well
So running an 8 inch wide wheel you need 5 inches of backspacing
More desirable is the 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing when lifted
But OME full spring lift with Bilstein shocks is the cheapest route for a lower dollar lift

What kind of budget do you have ?

Last edited:

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep it under $2000 for everything total, the RC lift I found came with new springs and everything that's why I thought it was a good route, and also, so with those rims being 16x8 -5mm they would work then? Because the -5mm is the back spacing correct?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep it under $2000 for everything total, the RC lift I found came with new springs and everything that's why I thought it was a good route, and also, so with those rims being 16x8 -5mm they would work then? Because the -5mm is the back spacing correct?

5mm is less than half an inch. It's a silly small amount.

Rough Country is NOT a good option for the KJ. With a budget that high, you can afford to do this CORRECTLY for the vehicle you are working with. You could even just buy the 2.5" coilover Bronze kit that JBA has... I would read through what the forum already has on lifts, and do this one and do it properly.

You'll be MUCH happier with the quality of the OME lift as well as the ride itself.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

The RC lift does not come with all new springs, only rear and then those are questionable. No it is NOT a good set up. I refuse to install any spacer lift here no matter what someone says they'll pay. Won't install junk.
Good lift like OME coming in at at about 800-850 is a way better deal than some kind of aftermarket wheels . And those wheel sizes, well I explained that before

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you all! Where do you recommend I go to buy the ome lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thank you all! Where do you recommend I go to buy the ome lift?

check out JeepinByAl
Look for the OME springs , can buy them by themselves
also look at the Bilstein shocks for front and rear
OME advertises 1.5 but in reality they give a solid 2.5 if going with 927 front , 948 rear , if wanting 3 easy to do with top plate and one extra upper iso in the rear per side

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5mm is less than half an inch. It's a silly small amount.

Rough Country is NOT a good option for the KJ. With a budget that high, you can afford to do this CORRECTLY for the vehicle you are working with. You could even just buy the 2.5" coilover Bronze kit that JBA has... I would read through what the forum already has on lifts, and do this one and do it properly.

You'll be MUCH happier with the quality of the OME lift as well as the ride itself.

Seems like something's missing with that tire size. 16x8, 5x114.3 (4.5") and 32mm-38mm backspace (4-5") should be right. 4" backspace with the 8" rim width is optimal. 5mm offset would be around 4" backspace, right?

K9JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience in lifting a vehicle lol but a lot of experience in lowering with coilovers for performance and I agree, do it right the first time and you'll be much happier. I too am a little confused on my options but I don't necessarily want a huge lift, I almost want to refresh the suspension with all new components and get maybe 1 inch of lift. Following along to see how it turns out for you. For what I've gathered I think the best option for my needs will be to stick with the OE size of 16x7 and go up one or 2 sizes on the tire.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like something's missing with that tire size. 16x8, 5x114.3 (4.5") and 32mm-38mm backspace (4-5") should be right. 4" backspace with the 8" rim width is optimal. 5mm offset would be around 4" backspace, right?

Your going to need at least 4" of lift to clear 265/70's on a 8" rim with 4" of BS,unless you like to get crazy with a sawzall and BFH.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

8 inch wheel 5 inches of backspacing
7 inches wide 4 inches of backspacing
IF LIFTED

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you want to do that ? Will be sticking out causing issues with turning

I'm going to have a 130lb rooftop tent on it and want to lower the center of gravity. Only running 245/70's.

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm super confused about back spacing and what not, I've looked through the forums and can't find anything about it, -44mm offset means the tire will hang outside of the wheel well correct? And then +44mm means that the tire is going to go further into the wheel well? Or how does this work?