Total newbie - help with my first lift…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apocalypse

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first 4x4, a 2008 kk limited which I believe is stock, with 18" rims (looks like an 18").

I have a lot of questions about a lot of things (sorry if I missed that info on other topics):

1. The Rough Country's 2.5-inch Leveling Lift kit can be assembled in my garage or do I need special tools?
2. With that 2.5 lift whats the tires that are trail and road worthy (I'll be using this as a commuter too) using the stock rims?
3. What other rim size and tire combination would fit without other changes besides the lift?
4. Anyone knows a place to install/buy the lift, if I would also change the shocks, and springs in lower mainland BC - Canada?

Thanks for the help and have safe trails everybody! :)

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best upgrade I did to my Jeep was the OME lift and regearing. So my opinion is, don't try other lifts, as other members have stated in the past, they are not worth it (except of Bilstein shocks)... Also, if you plan to put larger tires, you should also regear. Believe me, it is needed if you have auto trans. Also have in mind that with bigger tires, transmission temperatures will rise (at least if you have the 42RLE transmission...) especially if you want to do any off-roading

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with @nbas. Old Man Emu is the only way to lift a Liberty these days and have a good ride for your commute as well as decent off road performance.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The folks on this site have your best interests in mind, believe them and get a proper lift with new shocks and springs. What you can't do at home in the garage is assembly of the front coil over. If you bring those parts into a suspension or 4x4 shop it's usually pretty inexpensive to have them put together. Sometimes as cheap as a 12 pack of their favorite beverage. The folks selling spacer lifts to put on old worn out suspension do not care about anything except getting your money. They will make your crappy worn out suspension taller, but still crappy.

hardenm23

Reaction score
The best upgrade I did to my Jeep was the OME lift and regearing. So my opinion is, don't try other lifts, as other members have stated in the past, they are not worth it (except of Bilstein shocks)... Also, if you plan to put larger tires, you should also regear. Believe me, it is needed if you have auto trans. Also have in mind that with bigger tires, transmission temperatures will rise (at least if you have the 42RLE transmission...) especially if you want to do any off-roading
I went to Old Man Emu site and they don't list a lift for the KK. Is there somewhere else to look for this lift?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Old Man Emu site and they don't list a lift for the KK. Is there somewhere else to look for this lift?
Try offroadwarehouse.com for parts.

Latest posts

Members online