Question!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm super confused about back spacing and what not, I've looked through the forums and can't find anything about it, -44mm offset means the tire will hang outside of the wheel well correct? And then +44mm means that the tire is going to go further into the wheel well? Or how does this work?

If 8 inch wide wheel with +44 mm comes out to 6.23 inches , so 1.25 inches to much ( sitting out side the flares )
again 8 inch wide with -44 would be 2 3/4 inches so would not fit back over the caliper/ etc

7 inch wide wheel with +44 mm would be 5.73 ( stock is 5 inches )

But again ( when lifted ) 7 inch wide wheel 4 inches of backspacing
8 inch wide 5 inches of backspacing

NEGATIVE offset means the mounting flange is past the centerline of the rim towards the inside of the car.

POSITIVE offset means the centerline of the flange is towards the outside of the rim.

ZERO offset indicates the mounting pad centerline is dead center in the rim.

I've posted this on here before
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! I've been looking everywhere to try and figure that out lol!! So lifted 2.5-3.0" I could easily run a 16x8 with 5 inches of backspacing(or 16x7 with 4 inches of backspacing) with I'm gonna guess 245/70/16 tires? Also could I tuck 265/70/16 tires with either of those set ups? I don't do much wheeling with it, mainly just pull a trailer with a couple quads, but where I go I need some more ground clearance, and I want to throw some meaty tires on it for mud and rocks and what not

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! I've been looking everywhere to try and figure that out lol!! So lifted 2.5-3.0" I could easily run a 16x8 with 5 inches of backspacing(or 16x7 with 4 inches of backspacing) with I'm gonna guess 245/70/16 tires? Also could I tuck 265/70/16 tires with either of those set ups? I don't do much wheeling with it, mainly just pull a trailer with a couple quads, but where I go I need some more ground clearance, and I want to throw some meaty tires on it for mud and rocks and what not

I would stay with a 7 inch wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing and 245-70-16 , no real loss of power or mileage that way
At 3 inches of lift you could install 245-75-16s on those wheels but would lose some mileage and power for sure.
8 inch wheel you'd have to stay with 255-70-16s or 265-70-16s

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I'm gonna go with 2.5" lift 16x7 wheels 245/70/16 tires, but where the hell could I find a 16x7 rim with -101mm offset lol? -101mm would average to 4" backspacing

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could I do a -50mm offset(2") and then a 2" wheel spacer? That would make it far enough away from the caliper and sway bar and what not right?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright so I'm gonna go with 2.5" lift 16x7 wheels 245/70/16 tires, but where the hell could I find a 16x7 rim with -101mm offset lol? -101mm would average to 4" backspacing

If you are into the black wheels, lots of them come in a 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing
Check SUMMITRACING

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, and with this setup are my tires going to hang out past the fender flares at all? That's what I'm going for, I want to give it some stance but not so much that it rubs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, and with this setup are my tires going to hang out past the fender flares at all? That's what I'm going for, I want to give it some stance but not so much that it rubs

Right at the edge of the fenderwells
"hanging out past " creates other issues as more rubbing, not as much room to flex have to run more bumpstops etc
If you are going for the ricer look then I'm no help since I like them not to rub, be able to flex well etc
One on the left ( maroon ) has 245-75-16s mounted on 7 inch wide / 4 inches of backspacing , mine ( black one ) 8 inch wide 5 inches of backspacing and 265-75-16s

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL no!! No ricer look! Yours is exactly what I was looking for! So what setup do you have? Rims lift etc?

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also did you have to do any modifications to stock flares/pinch welds?

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol and 1 more question! Do you think I could get away with 16x8 with 4.5 backspacing? I found some sweet ass rims I want but they don't come in 5" backspacing

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol and 1 more question! Do you think I could get away with 16x8 with 4.5 backspacing? I found some sweet ass rims I want but they don't come in 5" backspacing

Some do, I wouldn't due to one thing, you need to run more bumpstops and won't be able to flex much at all , no stuffing the tire up in the wheelwell.
But I guess its better to have sweet a** wheels than perform :gr_grin:

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol that's no good then, did you have to do any modifications to pinch welds/stock flares?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
knocking the pinchweld flat and either using the plastic liner to cover it back up , basically plastic welding it, or generously spaying it with rubberized undercoating is a general Step 1 mod for the KJ's. the other spot tires will want to rub is right around the fog light access panel. if it becomes a nuisance you can use a heat gun and the handle of a hammer to push that plastic forward to give an extra 1/2 inch or so of clearance. the major problem with mismatched offset rims is if the wheel is turned, AND stuffed. it'll have the tenancy to rip your front flares off. and if they fracture or get lost, they're not a cheap item to replace, what so ever. talking like a few hundred bucks. they can take some abuse, there's lots of plastic rivets and what not to pop and V Notch plastic fender attachment clips (about 20 bucks worth of v notch clips per side) that can/will break as your flares stop fitting close to the fender etc putting them even closer in harms way

there's been a good number of folk around the forums who have played their hand with those gambles and lost. there's a reason i can tell you how much those clips cost. lol

tell ya what, give us a link to the sweetarse rims you were checkin out that you couldn't find in 16x7 5" BS - there's some rim gurus around that may have something helpful

Last edited:

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this, my budget for rims is $600 or less, could you send me a link for some nice ones? I prefer black and I really wanted a beadlock look, doesn't have to be actual beadlocks

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cragar soft 8's are in that budget. Then just have someone put on the weld on bead locks for you.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
summit racing has us wheels 844 in 16x8 5"

its a 16x8 however but it's a start
black rock's 952 also a 16x8 black rock serial #952681250 16x8 5x4.5 5"

I think cragar 352's are available in 16x8 5x4.5 5" as well

part of the limitation is the street lock style they just didnt make them in a great deal of options due to demand, 16x7 5" is optimal , period. 16x8 5" might get things tight, that 1/2" of rim is really more like 3/4" of tire. cant air down reliably, stuff like that

i dont know if there's a trim ring that wouldn't look like garbage that would have like a Daytona stealth beadlock look or not , if so, could use non street lock rims, which would definatly get you into 16x7 5" like jharris said, is there a source available for the beadlock trim rings?

Last edited:

Jam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-3986765gbml0?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vision-wheel&gclid=CMjP0-TmsNICFYi4wAodzOoLBA

These are the ones I think I'm going to go with, shouldn't have any issues with these right?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-3986765gbml0?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vision-wheel&gclid=CMjP0-TmsNICFYi4wAodzOoLBA

These are the ones I think I'm going to go with, shouldn't have any issues with these right?

4" backspace :(
lol