May buy this 2005 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pugh

Reaction score
So i'm on offer up. This guy is selling a 05 liberty. For 1000. Said he'd take 800. So i'm like wow sounds good. He tells me it has 195k miles. I'm like oh idk but it's a jeep. Then he tells me the check engine light comes on sometimes. And sometimes it's off. He said he got a diagnostic check which told him that it had a bad thermostat. He then said he doesn't know why because this is his everyday car and it never overheats. He said it drives normal and everything. Any help would be appreciated. Like should I still buy it

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Got pics?

I'd want to verify that's the code he's getting. And with 195k, I'd expect the trans to need attention. My torque converter was shot at 155k and took the rest of the trans with it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cosmetically if it's that rough I bet it's worse mechanically. If you want a project cool or an off road beater, but I wouldn't expect to save money with this one.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd pass on that one
Drive it and see if it comes on..yet again if it is the thermostat it could be p1281 engine cold too long which would be a bad thermostat..see if he is down for letting you take it somewhere to have it looked at if you're not familiar with it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drive it and see if it comes on..yet again if it is the thermostat it could be p1281 engine cold too long which would be a bad thermostat..see if he is down for letting you take it somewhere to have it looked at if you're not familiar with it.

But its been beat on, flares missing, front bumper gone, been rode hard and put away wet !
Things happen but this one is not one to go the distance with

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But its been beat on, flares missing, front bumper gone, been rode hard and put away wet !
Things happen but this one is not one to go the distance with
Oh wow I didn't even notice there were pics..i mean, could aways get them cheap at a junk yard. Hey if you can get it for 6-700 I'd do it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure you could get parts from the junk yard BUT if someone doesn't care enough to replace the flares, bumper etc do ya really think he even changed the oil?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you could get parts from the junk yard BUT if someone doesn't care enough to replace the flares, bumper etc do ya really think he even changed the oil?

Yeah, this.

Dave

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh.. not for $800.

I'd offer $500 TOPS as a parts truck. If it runs good, I'd keep it on hand to part out... but other than that, you have to be prepared to put some work in that beast... which makes it not worth it for most.

Pugh

Reaction score
He wants 800 for it. But now i'm iffy. I just need something to last me 2-3 years so I can finish college

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He wants 800 for it. But now i'm iffy. I just need something to last me 2-3 years so I can finish college

You still want to buy this ?
Even at 800, I'd bet a dollar against a doughnut you'd put way more into it than that. I'd pay no more than 3-400 and hope that he didn't mess up/ tear up / wear out anything else.
Huge gamble on this one just from the looks he did not take care of it, more than likely never changed fluids in it, ran it into the ground and now trying to pawn it off on someone else .

Pugh

Reaction score
What about this one

https://offerup.com/item/detail/259300572/?ref=FilteredSearch&event_source=faf7a8d380854c60af16e0110d11b9cb

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly IMO if a vehicle is being sold for hundreds, or even a couple thousand then it's more than likely junk
The first one is trash and that's where it needs to go, and even $800 for a Jeep that has 270k miles is a gamble, especially since they take it off-road which usually means it's beat up
Not saying it is, but your only option is to go take a look at them and get them checked out before any advice by us makes your decision when it's YOUR money and going to be YOUR ride

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
https://offerup.com/item/detail/259300572/?ref=FilteredSearch&event_source=faf7a8d380854c60af16e0110d11b9cb

What this one says to me:
is young kid
doesn't care , beat on it
now tired of it and wants a " fast " car
and with that mileage its a toss up
I drove 3 of the XJs I owned up into that mileage BUT bought them all new and knew how they were treatd
PASS on this one as well
Thing is if you are going to spend very little, make sure you have some cash thrown back since 98 out of 100 times you'll need to replace several things