Crank no start 2005 Liberty 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Range Rider

Reaction score
Hello having a strange issue with my wife's 2005 Liberty Sport with 3.7. 98,000 original miles. It will occasionally crank but not start. No codes showing.

Here's the funny part. If you crank the steering wheel from side to side it will start. Discovered this when my wife who is only 5ft tall uses the steering wheel to help get in and out of the jeep.

It has been checked/analyzed at 2 different Jeep dealers. They can't find any codes showing. and can't duplicate the no start. Took it to a local auto electric shop they couldn't find any issues either. The shop owner suspects its an issue with the anti-theft. With no codes he doesn't want to spend the time or have me spend money guessing at swapping parts.
Any ideas?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The anti theft will allow the engine to start and run for a few seconds so it's not that. Sounds more like a broken wire.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly the Clock Spring flat cable under the steering wheel.....I have replaced mine twice on my 2002 Export CRD!

Or take the Ignition Switch apart and turn the innards with a screw-driver...the ignition key must be in its normal slot so the code can be read from the ignition key!

Range Rider

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I need to get a wiring diagram to look up that clock spring flat cable. I read some of the other posts on the ignition switch issues. I'm on the road a lot only home every couple of weeks.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Actuator seems more likely than the clockspring. The steering wheel lock mechanism is in the same mechanism as the actuator. Take a look at the anti-theft install for a loose wire too.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Actuator pin assembly is more likely the culprit....my Jeep had the problem that the assembly was fitted a bit anticlockwise so I had to slightly elongate the screw-hole in the metal cylinder so that I could advance the assembly a few degrees and then tighten the screw holding it all in place...still working after all these years! ;)

I get a bit sick of the re tarded morality Police here!!

Members online

No members online now.