May buy this 2005 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Once the thread has been started I doubt people will care.. with a lot of us, our jeep is our backup vehicle or seasonal.. heck I drive a 2014 mkz, and my mustang when it's nice.. but I'll always prefer driving the Jeep (biggthumpup)

Back up vehicle ????????:emotions34:
Only driven KJs for the last 13 years, nothing else ! :happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the thread has been started I doubt people will care.. with a lot of us, our jeep is our backup vehicle or seasonal.. heck I drive a 2014 mkz, and my mustang when it's nice.. but I'll always prefer driving the Jeep (biggthumpup)

Most of us here have had other cars, but they are just cars.

A Jeep is different and not a car. A Jeep is a whole different experience and with competent driving skills, a Jeep will take you anywhere and back safely, and enjoyably, like no car ever could.....

.......just sayin.

Dave

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty subjective I think to where you're located, because ever since I've bought my Challenger I've done nothing but drive it and the Jeep has sat in the grass
If I need to hall something, go somewhere I know will have dirt roads/gravel, or if it snows I'll drive the Jeep, but only then
The difference in handling, comfort, and every other aspect outweighs the Jeep 100x over
I've gotten more complements in my car than I ever have/would in my Jeep and I personally like it to be honest :gr_grin:
So, to me, my car isn't "just a car".. it gets me where I want to go and does what I want it to do: go fast when I want, be in a safe and comfortable vehicle, and look good doing it all
So my Jeep IS my backup and that's how it'll stay :waytogo:

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right and the Blazer :happy175:
Step Dad bought one new all I did was work on that darn thing for 13 years, nickle and dimed him to death.

Ive had 3 a 2000 sonoma zr2 a 2001 blazer zr2 and a 99 sonoma 4x4 all 4.3L V6's and all exceeded 250,000km without costing much at all just routine maintenance and with the sheer amount of them and parts sharing of the S-series parts are available cheap and plentiful wrecking yards have alot my previous Sonoma had 400,000 km all original motor trans and diffs no issues just standard fluid changes and one clutch

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty subjective I think to where you're located, because ever since I've bought my Challenger I've done nothing but drive it and the Jeep has sat in the grass
If I need to hall something, go somewhere I know will have dirt roads/gravel, or if it snows I'll drive the Jeep, but only then
The difference in handling, comfort, and every other aspect outweighs the Jeep 100x over
I've gotten more complements in my car than I ever have/would in my Jeep and I personally like it to be honest :gr_grin:
So, to me, my car isn't "just a car".. it gets me where I want to go and does what I want it to do: go fast when I want, be in a safe and comfortable vehicle, and look good doing it all
So my Jeep IS my backup and that's how it'll stay :waytogo:

Differences, last car I drove I had to, it was a State owned car that I had to drive on the job. Hated driving it every time I had to.
The last car I actually owned and drove any at all was the AAR Cuda and that was back in 1973 . Have "owned several but they were always ones I had traded , bought and fixed up, all for sale . Always had trucks, vans, 4x4s and Harleys . Cars sit too low for me, feel like I'm dragging my a** all the time :gr_grin:
But as far as comparing your " car " to the KJ , well can't be done . Apples and oranges

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Differences, last car I drove I had to, it was a State owned car that I had to drive on the job. Hated driving it every time I had to.
The last car I actually owned and drove any at all was the AAR Cuda and that was back in 1973 . Have "owned several but they were always ones I had traded , bought and fixed up, all for sale . Always had trucks, vans, 4x4s and Harleys . Cars sit too low for me, feel like I'm dragging my a** all the time :gr_grin:
But as far as comparing your " car " to the KJ , well can't be done . Apples and oranges

You had a 73 Cuda? I had a 69 340 Cuda. Long time ago....LOL

Yup, no comparing a car to a KJ.

Dave

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh believe me I know it isn't a comparison, the Jeep is nothing compared to my car :happy175:
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, each being good at what they should/can be used for, so in my comparison of my Jeep and my car, my car is better in every way because I don't ever have the need for the Jeep other than drive it when the weather is bad.. that's it
I don't OffRoad, nor do anything else that I would need it for so in MY circumstance, my car is better for ME
You can go on and on about which is better, and in the end my car will win every time by looks, feel, comfort, and more importantly how I feel driving it
The Jeep never gave me pleasure to drive and it all changed when I got my car
It is a slug of a vehicle and my only purpose for it was to buy it until I found something I really wanted and could enjoy.. so now it sits in the grass and I blow by every other one I see on the road :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You had a 73 Cuda? I had a 69 340 Cuda. Long time ago....LOL

Yup, no comparing a car to a KJ.

Dave

No I bought it in March of 1973 but was the AAR Cuda from an old guy who had only driven it 2500 miles in 3 years.
They only built them in March and April of 1970, 2,724 AAR ‘Cudas produced. 1,120 were built with manual 4-speed transmissions, ( which I had ) and the remaining had automatics.
At that time they were pretty quick, V8, 340 6 barrel engine, bore and stroke were 4.04 inches by 3.31 inches, compression 10.5 to 1, it had 3 two-barrel carbs.
It was sweet but someone came along with way more than I paid for it and away it went after about a year. Fun driver, factory side exiting exhaust, etc ran over 100 in the quarter, Again not fast by whats is coming out today but I made a good bit of money with it street racing .

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My story:

Guy wanted $2500 for the KJ I have now. (Test drove it, looked great)

Talked him down to $1400 (should have been my first red flag)

2 days after I got it home, blown head gasket and a thrown rocker....

Spent TONS of time pulling he engine and rebuilding it then fixing the other little odds and ends

You don't want to know how much I have into it now....

If it's cheap in the beginning, it's expensive in the long run and vise versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My story:

Guy wanted $2500 for the KJ I have now. (Test drove it, looked great)

Talked him down to $1400 (should have been my first red flag)

2 days after I got it home, blown head gasket and a thrown rocker....

Spent TONS of time pulling he engine and rebuilding it then fixing the other little odds and ends

You don't want to know how much I have into it now....

If it's cheap in the beginning, it's expensive in the long run and vise versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So very true.
Cheap is almost always expensive

or as my wife would say " Bure aghali "

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So very true.
Cheap is almost always expensive

or as my wife would say " Bure aghali "

Truth! We all know how much time I have spent in the cheap '02 DN.
...but at least I knew it all before I got into the whole thing!
But it WILL get me back and forth to up front parking spaces at work. lol3.gif

Pugh

Reaction score
So I gave the person I 100 bucks to hold the Sebring for me. To take it down from offerup. I was too busy to pay for the car today. She came to my job. So I gave her the 100 she gave me the title. Just to hold it. On the title. I see she bought it from an auto repair shop for 500 back in march on the 20th. It hasn't been a full month. She did tell me beforehand that she always sells cars. Is it a good thing that she bought it from a repair shop or should I try to get my 100 back and get outta there I was gonna call the repair shop tomorrow when they open to see if they remember anything on the Sebring

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So I gave the person I 100 bucks to hold the Sebring for me. To take it down from offerup. I was too busy to pay for the car today. She came to my job. So I gave her the 100 she gave me the title. Just to hold it. On the title. I see she bought it from an auto repair shop for 500 back in march on the 20th. It hasn't been a full month. She did tell me beforehand that she always sells cars. Is it a good thing that she bought it from a repair shop or should I try to get my 100 back and get outta there I was gonna call the repair shop tomorrow when they open to see if they remember anything on the Sebring

They're probably going to tell you that they don't know anything. Bring your own mechanic. But honestly, you'll probably be OK with it for a couple years unless it has the 2.7L V6.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was young I went through a period where I bought a lot of $300 cars. This was long enough ago that they'd be $800 cars today. I did a lot of walking and hitchhiking in those days. Had one that broke down before I even got it home. Came back two hours later to tow it and it was gone. Glad I hadn't made it to the DMV to register it yet... :emotions34:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This seem like a red flag to anybody else??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So it was probably sold from a mechanic because it needed so much work that the owner decided to leave it...

Pugh

Reaction score
Is that a good thing ? I drove in it. And everything was normal. I'm just a little scared.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're probably going to tell you that they don't know anything. Bring your own mechanic. But honestly, you'll probably be OK with it for a couple years unless it has the 2.7L V6.

This.... if it has the 2.7L, I'd leave it at the roadside, because that's probably where it'll leave you. My wife's uncle had 3 Chrysler's with that engine, he had timing belt/chain failures on all of them.

The 2.7 makes good power for it's size and is smooth running, but it has oil sludging issues as well that lead to more problems and more problems then ultimate failure. If it had the 3.3L or 3.5L I'd feel better about it.

if she sells cars all the time, she must have a dealer license then? There is a limit as to how many cars you can buy and sell in a specific period of time without having one.

None of this smells right.