Jeep Liberty Overheat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
After refilling with antifreeze, did you open the bleeder to get all the air out of the system? Also have you checked the water pump and radiator fan?
There is no air in the system, and we've replaced both water pump and radiator, and the fan does what it's supposed to

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L is constantly overheating but only when I'm driving it can idle all day and it'll stay in the 212-220°F range but when I start driving it goes to 240°F-250°F unless I have the heater on full blast, I've replaced the heater core, water pump, and the radiator and mostly all the hoses. Please help.

Edit: I also replaced the Thermostat but forgot to mention it above
Does your KJ have the factory HD cooling? Meaning electrical fan as well a clutch driven fan? Could be the electric fan or could be the mechanical fan clutch as well.

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
Does your KJ have the factory HD cooling? Meaning electrical fan as well a clutch driven fan? Could be the electric fan or could be the mechanical fan clutch as well.
There's a clutch fan too? If so mine does not have it.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
There's a clutch fan too? If so mine does not have it.
If you have the factory towing package it comes with an electric fan as well as a clutch driven fan. Keeps the engine nice and cool. If not you get an electric fan to keep everything cool. I didn’t see in your write up about checking your electric fan. I could have missed it but if not it may need replaced. The very worst case it could be is a head gasket starting to go. You can perform a block test to hopefully rule that out.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Yes you can. If you search on here for TwoBobsKJ there is a write up I believe. A few things are involved. If you have a salvage yard near you that has some Jeep KJs it can make things cheaper to accomplish.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the head gasket checked before you do anything else as I said earlier, the standard cooling system should be more than capable if fully functional.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Yup I agree with KJowner. Rule out a head gasket before spending time and effort on anything. The symptom you described you are having after all the work you have done is an indication of a potentially bad head gasket. I hope it’s not but the possibility is there.

RetAF

Reaction score
Mine was doing that and it was because the system wasn’t holding pressure. Do you ever have to add coolant? My cap wasn't holding pressure, I replaced it and then I had a pinhole leak on the left side of the radiator. It never leaked before I replaced the cap because there wasn't sufficient pressure in the system.
My 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L is constantly overheating but only when I'm driving it can idle all day and it'll stay in the 212-220°F range but when I start driving it goes to 240°F-250°F unless I have the heater on full blast, I've replaced the heater core, water pump, and the radiator and mostly all the hoses. Please help.

Edit: I also replaced the Thermostat but forgot to mention it above

john e denson

Reaction score
When you say driving, are you talking about around town or down the highway? If it is around town it could be the fan. They are two speeds and only my low speed was working, I replaced mine and the plug-in in the new fan burned out in a week and had to straight wire it It could be your relay to the fan also. If it is running hot going down the highway I might want to run a compression test on it. That's after you ruled out the thermostat, air in the system, and radiator.

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
When you say driving, are you talking about around town or down the highway? If it is around town it could be the fan. They are two speeds and only my low speed was working, I replaced mine and the plug-in in the new fan burned out in a week and had to straight wire it It could be your relay to the fan also. If it is running hot going down the highway I might want to run a compression test on it. That's after you ruled out the thermostat, air in the system, and radiator.
We're taking it to a shop today to hopefully rule out a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head