Need PCM - Need some information- 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwilinski

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel and I need a PCM replacement. But this part is no longer available and my mechanic said he doesn’t have the proper tools for this since the vehicle is a 2005. So I need advice on 1. Where to get an after market/ refurbished PCM and 2. Who could install it (I live in the Minneapolis, MN area) and 3. Would this PCM need to be programmed also? 4. Is this something I could do by myself… I’m not very handy but I’m not terrible either 5. What do you think all of this would cost? Thank you!! John

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the diesel PCM is in the same location as the gasser, it should be under the hood behind the battery bolted to the inside fender. Not hard to get to and easy to take out. You'll most likely need to get the part number off it and match it up with the replacement unit. And, yes, the PCM would need to be programmed.

A lot of places that sell PCMs will also do the programming for you, some even on eBay/Amazon. A few people have recommended "Flagship One," and I can report they had good communication when I reached out to them recently, but their prices are quite high. Wherever you get it from, I wouldn't pay much attention to any lifetime warranty claims, as they're probably not worth the digital paper they're printed on.

From doing a quick search on eBay, it looks the the PCMs for the diesel Libs are substantially higher in price than the gasoline variants, perhaps due to their rarity. If you can find someone local to program it for you cheap, it might be more economical to buy an un-programmed unit on a place like eBay.

You also may want to consider getting a second opinion from another mechanic before you go ahead and buy one, considering the significant cost you might be in for. Far too many techs are too quick to blame PCMs without doing the proper diagnosis procedures beforehand.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted in your OTHER thread :rolleyes: --

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jwilinski

Reaction score
If the diesel PCM is in the same location as the gasser, it should be under the hood behind the battery bolted to the inside fender. Not hard to get to and easy to take out. You'll most likely need to get the part number off it and match it up with the replacement unit. And, yes, the PCM would need to be programmed.

A lot of places that sell PCMs will also do the programming for you, some even on eBay/Amazon. A few people have recommended "Flagship One," and I can report they had good communication when I reached out to them recently, but their prices are quite high. Wherever you get it from, I wouldn't pay much attention to any lifetime warranty claims, as they're probably not worth the digital paper they're printed on.

From doing a quick search on eBay, it looks the the PCMs for the diesel Libs are substantially higher in price than the gasoline variants, perhaps due to their rarity. If you can find someone local to program it for you cheap, it might be more economical to buy an un-programmed unit on a place like eBay.

You also may want to consider getting a second opinion from another mechanic before you go ahead and buy one, considering the significant cost you might be in for. Far too many techs are too quick to blame PCMs without doing the proper diagnosis procedures beforehand.
I’m attempting to remove the PCM and easily removed the two small bolts at the top. But now I can’t see where else it is attached. Also,I’m not sure how to remove all of the wires. Can you please help guide me a bit through this?

adxin

Reaction score
Hi, it should be a EDC15C5. In our 2004 KJ Liberty it is mounted to 4 bolts with 8mm nuts. 2 upper nuts on top and straight down 2 lower nuts.
I don't know from where are you but I can do the pcm cloning for you.