May buy this 2005 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience with an older XJ, that's going to be even worse than a beat KJ. Probably has a shit ton of little things wrong too that'll drive you mad, like rotted vacuum lines, clunky check pins/brackets in the doors to more major stuff like the AC probably won't work, floors might be rusted out etc. That being said, a nice XJ is really fun. I love driving mine!

If it lower mile's I'd say it'd probably drive for another 2-3 years, not well perhaps.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go take a look at the second if it's close, why not?
As for the first, I'm telling you just say "sorry but I wouldn't be willing to offer more than ___"
Worst he can say is no.. if it were me, I'd put 450 in the blank, and be ready to spend another 4-5 hundred in parts..
Chances are it's a 1k gamble either way.. as for getting 2-3years out of it..well that all depends how much money you're willing to spend.
Looks like it's on its last leg if you ask me.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Willing to bet it's rockers are pretty eaten up, and likely the floor as well.
By new muffler and exhaust is loud.. but he likes it loud..
I'm willing to bet that means "I have an exhaust leak or catalytic convertor problem and don't know where to look or how to fix it"
You can find an XJ for sale for around that much just about anywhere.. especially if you account for the fact it has 269k miles.. yikes.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to merge this thread with your other one if that's ok!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No he's saying it needs a starter eventually

Another nickle and dimer
I understand that you are looking for a cheap Jeep that will last two years
but these 800-1000 dollar ones are mainly money pits, rusted/wornout/ basically junk.
I've bought and sold vehicles for over 40 years, used to be you could buy a good one for 200-300, put a little into it and drive for a couple of years .
Anymore that 2-300 one that you could buy in 1973 is now 2-3000

Pugh

Reaction score
And I guess I'll just keep looking. I do want to post some other cars on here. But they all aren't jeeps. And that has to go against the rules

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And I guess I'll just keep looking. I do want to post some other cars on here. But they all aren't jeeps. And that has to go against the rules

Post up cars, we'll try and help you out , heck some people on here actually drive them as well, just don't admit it !:happy175:

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imho the sebring is more realistically priced but just my advice before i even look at a certain model of truck/car i google search for issues it may be famous for and when i go look at it take a closer look at these areas of concern

Pugh

Reaction score
That's what I did. And I was told working on these cars are hard because everything is so compact

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a 4.3L V6 and its properly maintained its a reliable motor my 2000 sonoma had 400,000 on its original drivetrain but mine had a manual trans and i know the autos on the s-series is prone to failure if it hasnt been maintained but otherwise i would say the Blazer is a good choice fairly easy to work on with wide parts availability and most parts from the pickups are a direct swap wether its a Sonoma or S10 blazer or jimmy as long as its 99-2005

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want 4x4 go the blazer plus parts are plentiful as there are a ton of the s-series trucks/suvs out there a sebring imo is a throw a way car not worth the money to keep when it starts breaking down

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Once the thread has been started I doubt people will care.. with a lot of us, our jeep is our backup vehicle or seasonal.. heck I drive a 2014 mkz, and my mustang when it's nice.. but I'll always prefer driving the Jeep (biggthumpup)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't touch any of these with a 10' pole! Especially if that Sebring has the 2.7L V6.

Right and the Blazer :happy175:
Step Dad bought one new all I did was work on that darn thing for 13 years, nickle and dimed him to death.