Jeep Liberty V8 Swap Megathread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use the wrap as a last resort. On a daily driver, subjected to crummy weather conditions, it can trap moisture and rust the pipes. If used on a fair weather only car, it's not as big of a concern.

I agree! My wrapped JBA the headers did not fair well.

I'm not sure how I am going to approach the issue of heat dissipation. It may not even be necessary if the tubing is routed correctly. The only area of concern is that the one of the tubes on the drivers side is about 1" from the steering column and I've already decided to reroute it further underneath.

I've read both good and bad things about header wraps and I'd like to read the opinions of the more experienced folks here before I consider them as an option. Sure they help to dissipate heat, but they also, from what I've read, tend to shorten the life of the header.

Use this stuff 1st before wrapping.Also soak the header wrap in water and apply wet and let dry.Will form a tighter bond and lower profile so it's not as bulky then spray again.

HT Silicone Coating 010301 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modded headers finally finished and mounted. Transmission inspection plate installed. I'm only waiting on the oil dipstick tube and a couple more sensors to arrive.

Throttle body was delivered today, but I need to get an adaptor fabbed up to attach to the '08 HO Intake manifold.

Going to have someone start routing the exhaust this weekend.

Hard to believe that we're almost ready to try and start her up! :)

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what did you finally do to shield the headers? Or have you yet? Don't overlook or take lightly this step, many troubles can happen if you do.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine started. Ran fine for about two seconds, then BANG.

Drained the oil pan, it's full of water. One spark plug is ripped in two.

I have no idea. I feel like I've been slammed against a brick wall.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no we all feel your pain. We so want to see someone pull off a V8 swap. Not an easy or cheap swap and so many have talked the talk but no one has walked the walk and proved it. Were still rutting for you and this is a big let down for us as well as you. The saga continues can it be done and really work and last! ??????????????? The never ending v8 in kj continues.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! I read this and my heart sank! Are you serious? You did get the warranty, didn't you? I know it isn't any consolation, but wow! I'm really speechless...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine started. Ran fine for about two seconds, then BANG.

Drained the oil pan, it's full of water. One spark plug is ripped in two.

I have no idea. I feel like I've been slammed against a brick wall.

CRAP!

Water in the oil pan...??? Plug ripped in two?

Crap... :icon_rolleyes:

Bob

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought that something must've gotten dropped into the intake somehow. However, on closer inspection it seems that a bolt was left inside the cylinder at the manufacturer's facility.

There's no way that bolt made it through the valve without scoring the hell out of it. The bolt was too long to fit through an open valve. You can see that there not a mark in the thing.

Powertrain seems easy enough to work with, not sure how this is going to be handled by them, but they swear up and down that every engine is sim tested prior to leaving the factory floor.

The engine is toast. Need a new block, piston, rod and head at a minimum.

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4729-culprit.jpg

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4728-fux0red-head.jpg

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4732-piston-hosed-block-cracked.jpg

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4730-valve-clean-un-scratched.jpg

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4731-valve-doesnt-have-mark.jpg

The suckiest part of this whole thing is that it started right up, And for about 3 glorious seconds, sounded like pure heaven.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Words escape me... :(

I'm sure the spirit which allowed you to even try this to begin with will allow you to overcome this setback. I hope the company does right by you.

(Caught a few of them there words after all.) ;)

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Words escape me... :(

I'm sure the spirit which allowed you to even try this to begin with will allow you to overcome this setback. I hope the company does right by you.

(Caught a few of them there words after all.) ;)

No, this will not stop me from completing this, but any and all progress will be on hiatus until this gets straightened out.

I've come too far and I'm already too deep into this to turn back now. If y'all only knew.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will pray for you and your situation Brother! May the engine builder find favor in you and do the correct thing and provide a replacement engine at no charge. I will continue to follow your thread and pray as needed. Good luck Honduras!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH. I would rip that company a new one if I were you. All that work. At the very least it seems like you have all of the modifications necessary to make the next engine install be plug-and-play. Keep your head up! I really hope fortune smiles your way in the near future.

doolop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in there. The company should cover all parts and labor for their neglect. I would call their customer support/ offices and begin at the top. I've worked in retail/ customer service a long time and this is the feast way to get a response.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I would call their customer support/ offices and begin at the top. I've worked in retail/ customer service a long time and this is the fast way to get a response.
Yeah, typically the job of underlings (I've been one) is to try and talk the customer into accepting less than they deserve in the hope they'll jump on it. The stubborn ones usually end up getting the better deals.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe someone could do such a bonehead thing like leaving a bolt in a cylinder. A thought....won't that size bolt fit through the spark plug hole? And, did the engine come with or without plugs installed? Something to make one sit back and go.....hmmmmmmm.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done when remaned or at owners both scenario's have happened. Both suck!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe someone could do such a bonehead thing like leaving a bolt in a cylinder. A thought....won't that size bolt fit through the spark plug hole? And, did the engine come with or without plugs installed? Something to make one sit back and go.....hmmmmmmm.

It came without. Not only that, but I believe that the spark plugs weren't installed until fairly recently and that bolt looks similar to a couple bolts that were shipped with the intake manifold, although a different set of bolts were used in the end.

I need to some digging to find out if there are any similarities. Thanks for the insight.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you know. This is actually ironic. When I was checking out the company that we got our engines from, I called them and asked a lot of questions about their building processes but also about their warranty. One of the comments made by the guy to me was "If the mechanic accidentally drops a bolt down into the cylinder and the engine explodes, you are covered." This was with their "No Fault" warranty. You would have had to pay extra for that warranty. Did you get that warranty? That is not to say that they won't cover it, but at least you can see that this will not be their first rodeo, when it comes to this exact situation.

I hope this info helps!