Jeep Liberty V8 Swap Megathread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Routing for the dual exhaust setup from the headers was completed over the past weekend. Perfect timing!

The only thing remaining to do at this point is mount the new engine. It will be on the road this weekend.

Stand by for updates!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're about 30 minutes out from the first start. So far so good.

Only need to pick up a new a new oil pressure sensor and connect the exhaust.

:)

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Good Luck Honduras. This moment has been a long time coming... We are all rooting for you!
:big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance: :big_banana_Dance:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the next post alert I get for this thread is especially good! :peace:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man it feels like this post has been running longer then MASH wait for the end result.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. It starts but only for about 3 seconds before cutting off and it does this every time.

Getting P0113 and P1686 errors. Had the SKIM removed when I had he ECM reflashed.

Got some research to do tonight.

hardluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fall away like everyone else. I can't do a v8 swap in my 06 but Im still sticking around. Good luck

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

Why wont this work on a 06? , has anyone done a v8 swap in a 06 from a 3.7 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If voltage is regulated by the PCM, you can try disconnecting the alternator and starting the Jeep to rule out a problem of overcharging. But I'm wondering if the problem lies with the gauges and BCM. Do your gauges work at all? Does the BCM need to be reprogrammed?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that too like if it sees no oil pressure will it shut down like other vehicles or something on that nature.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that too like if it sees no oil pressure will it shut down like other vehicles or something on that nature.

I wasn't expecting it to run perfectly. I knew there would be problems because of the O2 and oil pressure sensors not being connected, but I wasn't expecting it to cut off. I'll get the ECM reflashed later this week. The key fob was removed from the steering long before I connected the new ECM. That part is a little puzzling.

A lot of progress has been made here in the last few days. Exhaust routing was completed, the replacement engine arrived and was successfully installed, the engine actually starts. Once everything is properly connected we will pick up and try again. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ does not have a "no oil pressure" shut down feature,with or without that oil pressure sensing unit plugged in will not effect how the engine starts and run(common sense states the sensor must be screwed into the cover though).Having the O2 sensors unhooked will not prevent the engine from starting or running.

If you have SKIM you must retain the SKIM as you can't reflash it out of the PCM,it's integrated into every computer.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that makes it easier to diagnose but a pain in the butt to fix. So what do I do in this situation, box up the ECM, SKIM sensor and keys, then send it all out to a dealership? That'll take a good 3 weeks to pull off if that's the case.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic!

So what kept it from running before? What did you fix/change to get it running? Great job on the swap :waytogo:

Bob

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic!

So what kept it from running before? What did you fix/change to get it running? Great job on the swap :waytogo:

Bob

Problems with the ECM and the SKIM. It was a very easy fix but the issue was finding someone who had the right computer to reprogram the SKIM. it could've been taken care of a lot sooner but sometimes life has a funny way of reprioritizing wants and needs. :emotions34:

All the gauges appear to be working properly. No funky check engine lights or odd codes from the engine scanner and the only issue so far is that the radiator fan stopped working (thinking a sensor went bad).