Multiple CEL codes after re-installing engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy. 05 Liberty Renegade, 3.7L, automatic, 127K. The whole reason I pulled the engine in the first place was because of a rotted freeze plug. Now that all the freeze plugs are replaced, engine is back in, and just tonight I tried starting it. It took waaayyy too many cranks to start up, but it did start and idled rather nicely.

Let me start by saying there were NO CEL codes at all and the thing ran pretty FRIKKEN excellent before I had to yank the engine. Before anyone suggests it, lol, YES - I have double and triple checked to make sure that everything is plugged in, YES, I reconnected the grounds on both sides of the block AND behind both heads.

The intake manifold had to be removed in order to remove the engine. I did replace the gaskets and torqued everything to spec. Also had to replace the fuel injector o-rings and of course I threw new spark plugs in it while I was in there.

So, here we go:

P0340 Cam Position Sensor

P0871 Oil Pressure Switch Rationality

P0137 O2 Sensor 1/2 Circuit Low

P0700 Transmission Control System

P0330/0325 Knock Sensor 2/1 Circuit

I find it hard to believe that every one of these systems failed at once (especially the transmission).

Also, upon test drive, WOT will produce bucking.

Last thing, the thermostat is brand new, and yet now the lower radiator hose is ice cold, while the upper rad hose is HOT LIKE FIRE. Ironically, it's not overheating and it gets nice hot heat.

Any suggestions at all here where to start looking? Thanks in advance.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double and triple checked, eh?

Tell me when you see it.

You must be registered for see images attach

After plugging it back in and turning the key, the Jeep fired RIGHT UP, and the P0330/0325 Knock Sensor codes immediately disappeared. The bucking at WOT has also disappeared.

All other codes remain, but I'm guessing some of them, like the P0137 and the P0700, will disappear as we go through key cycles.

The P0871, however, I'm not so sure about. I thought that was for Engine Oil Pressure. I quick google search shows it's apparently something to do with the transmission???

Again, this heap Jeep had zero codes before the engine removal.

Ugghh..... one issue at a time, here.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do that.

I'm also a bit more concerned about the coolant at the moment (now that I found that ONE sensor unplugged). After the test drive last night, the upper rad hose was BOILING hot, bottom hose was ice cold, and the coolant reservoir was spewing coolant everywhere. If the thermostat is brand new (and it turns out the water pump is brand new, too), then either there's air in the system or there's a blockage somewhere, right?

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a coolant pressure test this morning. It passed. I also went ahead and bought a brand new radiator cap. Then, I turned the key and cracked the bleeder on the upper radiator hose. I must have just been in panic mode last night because coolant IS flowing. No idea why it overflowed so badly last night.

I can still smell the slightest hint of antifreeze with the engine running. I know from past experience with multiple Saturn S-series' - that coolant doesn't evaporate. You have to wait for it to cook off of wherever it spilled (if you can't get a rag in there lol). That could account for that slight smell.

Anyway, the bottom radiator hose gets lukewarm now, and the upper radiator hose doesn't seem to be boiling, although it still gets plenty hot.

I even tested the radiator fan by removing the coolant temperature sensor connector. The fan turned on immediately. The fan does NOT, however, turn on with the A/C activated. That's a concern.

Lastly, I went ahead and cleared the CEL codes. I'm curious to see which ones come back.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy. 05 Liberty Renegade, 3.7L, automatic, 127K. The whole reason I pulled the engine in the first place was because of a rotted freeze plug. Now that all the freeze plugs are replaced, engine is back in, and just tonight I tried starting it. It took waaayyy too many cranks to start up, but it did start and idled rather nicely.

Let me start by saying there were NO CEL codes at all and the thing ran pretty FRIKKEN excellent before I had to yank the engine. Before anyone suggests it, lol, YES - I have double and triple checked to make sure that everything is plugged in, YES, I reconnected the grounds on both sides of the block AND behind both heads.

The intake manifold had to be removed in order to remove the engine. I did replace the gaskets and torqued everything to spec. Also had to replace the fuel injector o-rings and of course I threw new spark plugs in it while I was in there.

So, here we go:

I find it hard to believe that every one of these systems failed at once (especially the transmission).

Last thing, the thermostat is brand new, and yet now the lower radiator hose is ice cold, while the upper rad hose is HOT LIKE FIRE. Ironically, it's not overheating and it gets nice hot heat.

Confirm that your thermostat is installed so that the valve flows in the correct direction. I had crazy overheating and once the thrmostat was replaced with a high quality thermostat the problem disappeared. "New" is not always = "good" in these days of substandard Chinese aftermarket garbage.

Boudreaux & Missy

Reaction score

So, here we go:

Why do you have to take the intake off to take the engine out ? I ask because I have to take mine out also 2002 Liberty Limited loaded edition 4 WD 3.7 V6