Jeep Liberty V8 Swap Megathread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
lol .. well whatever music it was ... you've violated somebody's copyright :happy175:

The music ****'s took it down!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video and sound still works on my end. Did you cut the motor mount frame horns to where the bolt holes are now slotted and open on the top? Either that's an optical illusion, or your engine is going to jump out of it's seat when you romp on it. Be sure to keep the hood well latched to keep the engine from flying out of the bay!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video and sound still works on my end. Did you cut the motor mount frame horns to where the bolt holes are now slotted and open on the top? Either that's an optical illusion, or your engine is going to jump out of it's seat when you romp on it. Be sure to keep the hood well latched to keep the engine from flying out of the bay!

Nope, nothing was cut. Those are the stock KJ horns.

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to reinforce that area. Thanks!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd weld a big ol hefty washer around both sides of the frame mounts.
Looks too "just resting in there waiting to escape" to me.
Your v8 has a tad more torque than the 3.7 did.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the engine is going to go anywhere, but your mod recommendation makes too much sense to ignore. Better to be safe than sorry!

And it would only take a few short minutes to weld the washers in.

If anyone else out there sees something wrong, or has a better approach to what's going on, please let me know!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you've been in there enough, you should know how hefty the stock frame mounts are. And for what it's worth, as far as lifting force goes, only the drivers side of the engine is the one that wants to lift up under torque. You may be perfectly fine leaving the passenger side alone.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I would have cleaned up the engine bay a bit with everything out. I'd be hurting so bad waiting to drive it for the first time.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I would have cleaned up the engine bay a bit with everything out. I'd be hurting so bad waiting to drive it for the first time.

The suspense is killing me. You have no idea what it's like to be so close, yet so far away. The good news is that I am only waiting on some small parts to arrive and that they will be here next week.

Yeah, could've used a bit of clean up. Oh well. Maybe next time. :emotions33:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you've been in there enough, you should know how hefty the stock frame mounts are. And for what it's worth, as far as lifting force goes, only the drivers side of the engine is the one that wants to lift up under torque. You may be perfectly fine leaving the passenger side alone.

Well true as long as you never put it in reverse.The engine will lift the otherway in reverse compared to going forward.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The drivers side lifts due to the rotational torque of the engine. Has nothing to do with the drivetrain or which direction you're going. When going backwards, torque is reversed at the trans, but the engine is still rotating in the same direction as before. The drivers side of the engine will lift when in neutral as well.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The drivers side lifts due to the rotational torque of the engine. Has nothing to do with the drivetrain or which direction you're going. When going backwards, torque is reversed at the trans, but the engine is still rotating in the same direction as before. The drivers side of the engine will lift when in neutral as well.
Find a older S10 with a 4.3,good chance that it will have broken motor mounts and power brake it in reverse then in drive.The engine will "lift" one way in reverse and "lift" the other way in drive.

This is real apparent in FWD vehicles.It has everything to do with the drivetrain and what direction the torque is trying to spin the driveshafts.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Header modeling is coming along better than expected. Still could've saved myself a nice chunk of change by going with a kit instead of hacking apart a perfectly good piece of hardware. The lesson to be taken away from this is don't trust your eyeballs, trust the measuring tape. What's that old adage about hindsight again?

I'm highly confident these will be done by the end go the weekend.

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4656-header-modeling-almost-done.jpg

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to wrap them for heat or don't you think it's needed mighty tight in there.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to wrap them for heat or don't you think it's needed mighty tight in there.

I'm not sure how I am going to approach the issue of heat dissipation. It may not even be necessary if the tubing is routed correctly. The only area of concern is that the one of the tubes on the drivers side is about 1" from the steering column and I've already decided to reroute it further underneath.

I've read both good and bad things about header wraps and I'd like to read the opinions of the more experienced folks here before I consider them as an option. Sure they help to dissipate heat, but they also, from what I've read, tend to shorten the life of the header.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I am going to approach the issue of heat dissipation. It may not even be necessary if the tubing is routed correctly. The only area of concern is that the one of the tubes on the drivers side is about 1" from the steering column and I've already decided to reroute it further underneath.

I've read both good and bad things about header wraps and I'd like to read the opinions of the more experienced folks here before I consider them as an option. Sure they help to dissipate heat, but they also, from what I've read, tend to shorten the life of the header.

We had to wrap the down pipe of my brothers WRX when we changed out the whole exhaust headers back. Came out really well and keeps the outside cool. I could almost put my hand on it after driving. The wrap itself does add a little bulk to the pipes though so if its a tight fit it might not make it. As for longevity I can't quite tell you yet.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use the wrap as a last resort. On a daily driver, subjected to crummy weather conditions, it can trap moisture and rust the pipes. If used on a fair weather only car, it's not as big of a concern.