Jeep Liberty V8 Swap Megathread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frankenstein Durango mounts installed...

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4624-passenger-side.jpg

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4628-image.jpg

Working on the exhaust now....

Last edited:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. I got word this morning that the exhaust manifold work will more than likely be finished this afternoon. If it's completed, I'll start getting the rest of the parts put back in place while I'm there.

The next test is getting the harness and ECM installed. Shooting for a test start tomorrow, just to make sure that the engine turns over. After that, all that will remain is routing the rest of the exhaust and attaching the O2 sensors to the cats!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to clarify that these are modified Durango headers, not the stock Durango exhaust manifolds. Dual exhaust, too.

It should sound very, very similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCCj95-f8U

It'll be a throaty one, that's for sure. :pepper:

I've seen that video even before you posted it. I freaking LOVE that sound. :jawdrop:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there, but lots of small things to do that I overlooked. Always the case when you're trying something new.

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4638-getting-there.jpg

I have a lot of details to cover. Promise to write up this weeks mishaps and misadventures tomorrow.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there, but lots of small things to do that I overlooked. Always the case when you're trying something new.

I have a lot of details to cover. Promise to write up this weeks mishaps and misadventures tomorrow.

An-tis-i-pay-shun... ! :emotions33:

(For you yunguns, that's an old Carly Simon tune from the '70s ;) )

Bob

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only a few more items are needed in order to start this bad boy up. I overlooked the fact that I would need to replace the stock throttle body with a 4.7 version, the 3.7 crankshaft sensor is not compatible, and neither is the transmission inspection plate.

The headers are still being worked on, and I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about how they are going to turn out. What I should have done is just gone ahead and purchased a DIY header kit. However, as things go, I wasn't aware that header kits were even a thing until I had already pulled the trigger. Doh! I won't lose too much sleep over it, if the workmanship is less than desirable, I'll just bite the bullet and do it proper right with a kit. It'll take a little while longer, but I'm sure the results will be worth it.

Still need to route the exhaust.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like so many others here are drooling at the site of the 4.7 sitting in there, great work so far. I'm thinking how cool it would be to have this in mine with my 5 speed or stronger one.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick video showing everything mounted up. Yes, I know the music is horrible. Go ahead and do yourself a huge favor and turn the volume down.

I am waiting on the last of the parts to get here. Probably be around two weeks for everything to arrive. Unfortunately there's not much more to report on until then. The wait is killing me.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Yes, I know the music is horrible. Go ahead and do yourself a huge favor and turn the volume down...

I could deal with the music, but dang if I can understand a word I heard. I must be getting old... :icon_rolleyes:

Looking good, though! :waytogo:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely a tight fit! That's what she said trolololololol

I could've cut and reused the shroud to work with the 16" slim fan that I purchased, but since I was able to move the engine back enough that I no longer needed to cut anything, I can now attach it to the front as a pusher fan.

Members online

No members online now.