Jeep Liberty V8 Swap Megathread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '02 is officially at the shop. Going to go pull the motor tonight to get things kicked off. Donor engine is a 4.7L HO out of an '04 Grand Cherokee. All parts, with the exception of the remanufactured block, fuel line, intake manifold, and oil pan, are brand new.

Unlike other folks that claim to have supposedly done this, I will be doing a play-by-play installation so that everything that goes right, as well as everything goes wrong, is captured and documented for those that may be interested in doing the same modification.

Pics will be included!

Ready, set, ...GO!!! :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Looking forward to your thread Honduras.

Dave

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fall away like everyone else. I can't do a v8 swap in my 06 but Im still sticking around. Good luck

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, really interested in how clean of a install it can be..
If all else fails. I can photoshop in a V-10 Viper engine for you.. Just let me know.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All hoses, radiators, starter, motor mounts, etc disconnected. Only need to move the engine lift in to remove what's left of the 3.7.

A pretty sad-looking KJ:
honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4554-day-1-removing-3-7.jpg

Tomorrow:

Remove engine and 3.7 mounts. Get new gaskets installed in the donor engine. Prep for insertion into the engine bay. Need to pick up a couple more injectors since I forgot to buy them before I started.

So far, so good.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big problem...

Huge difference between the engine mount location on the 4.7 and the KJ mount brackets. The Grand Cherokee 4.7 mounts are about 6.5" forward from where it would need to be connected.

Measurement from transmission to the end of the mounting bracket:

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4555-kj-mount-points-10.jpg

Might be a work-around by cutting the mount brackets and welding them to forward, but that ain't gonna happen because ....steering is blocking the point where it would need to be reattached on the drivers side as shown in the next photo:

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4556-steering-way.jpg

The next shot shows the distance from where the transmission mounts to the engine to the engine mounts. HUGE DIFFERENCE!:

honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4557-grand-cherokee-motor-mounts-16-5.jpg

However, if you look closely at that last pic you'll notice that there appears to be an additional mount point, but neither the Cherokee nor KJ mounts will fit. If I can figure out the proper engine mounts for this location, it will be a near perfect fit for the KJ Brackets.

Any ideas on how to address this? Help!! :Frustrated:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, if you look closely at that last pic you'll notice that there appears to be an additional mount point, but neither the Cherokee nor KJ mounts will fit. If I can figure out the proper engine mounts for this location, it will be a near perfect fit for the KJ Brackets.

Any ideas on how to address this? Help!! :Frustrated:
You got the Dakota,Durango,and fullsize Ram's still for mounts.You alos got the newer WK's since they still used the 4.7.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zoomed in for clarity of discussion.
honduras-albums-v8-liberty-picture4558-other-mount-points.jpg

Yeah man, I've been looking at the Dakota/Ram/Durango mounts. They all appear to be very similar, if not identical, in how they connect. Kinda in a bit of a panic trying to figure this out. There's a way, but man, I was convinced that the WK mounts would work.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine came out of a WJ Grand,not a WK Grand.You also got other mounts like those used for the 5.7 HEMI as the blocks are based on the same basic platform.

I don't know why, but I always confuse wk & WJ.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a set of Durango mounts. Delivery time is pretty slow down here so I don't expect to get too much accomplished until they arrive.

***** because we were looking to get the engine mounted and bolted back up yesterday.

Sorry folks! :(

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a set of Durango mounts. Delivery time is pretty slow down here so I don't expect to get too much accomplished until they arrive.

***** because we were looking to get the engine mounted and bolted back up yesterday.

Sorry folks! :(

Yeah man my swap has been going slow too Lol never goes as fast as we want

Latest posts

Members online