Jeep Liberty Reliability - how does it compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 84, about average this time, very small sample size

2006: 103, about average; common failures of window regulators for the 2006s and 2007s, but not earlier; also a couple reports of serpentine belt idler pulleys seizing

2005: 57, better than average

2004: 78, about average

2003: 51, better than average

2002: 28, better than average

Decent sample sizes only for the 2004 and 2005, so these are the most precise results.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Jeep Liberty reliability ratings and comparisons

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still don't think it shows true results
like many things on the internet only people who have problems get on and rant and show their butts

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still don't think it shows true results
like many things on the internet only people who have problems get on and rant and show their butts

I do think some of the results are inaccurate, but not for the reason you suggest. The method used by this survey has been doing a very good job of preventing the distortion you describe, which often affects the typical Internet survey. If anything, some of these reported repair frequencies are probably lower than they should be, not higher.

Instead, the problem for all years but the 2004 and 2005 is that not enough owners are participating.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive an 03 and considered participating but I don't think the results are necessarily worth it for my year. I (and probably most people looking for an 03 Libby) know how reliable it is based on the 8 years people have had to drive it. I'd imagine most American drivers' 03 Liberties are at their trade in point, if they haven't already been traded.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive an 03 and considered participating but I don't think the results are necessarily worth it for my year. I (and probably most people looking for an 03 Libby) know how reliable it is based on the 8 years people have had to drive it. I'd imagine most American drivers' 03 Liberties are at their trade in point, if they haven't already been traded.

When people here trade in their '03 Liberty, someone else ends up buying them.

For most people the point of the survey isn't to learn how reliable your current car is, but your next one. The main reason many other people are participating with a car you might be interested in is that other people are participating with cars they might later be interested in.

Last edited:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2007: 72, about average

2006: 135, worse than average; common failures of window regulators for the 2006s and 2007s, but not earlier; also a couple reports of serpentine belt idler pulleys seizing

2005: 80, about average

2004: 84, about average

2003: 114, about average

2002: 38, better than average

Decent sample sizes only for the 2004 and 2005, so these are the most precise results.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2007: 112, worse than average

2006: 121, worse than average; common failures of window regulators for the 2006s and 2007s, but not earlier; also a couple reports of serpentine belt idler pulleys seizing

2005: 94, about average

2004: 80, about average

2003: 104, about average

2002: 59, better than average

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

hotpepper

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Renegade which I bought a year ago. A couple of issues I have: 1, sticky rear brakes on rear left (driver) side. Rotor, pads, and caliper was replaced last September, good for a while and problem reoccur. Dealer wanted to replace again. 2, alternator was replaced in Feb 2011. 3, A/C compressor replaced this summer.

Compare to the Ford Escape I owned prior to the KJ, Jeep did very poor job keeping its quality and reliability.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have a 2006 Renegade which I bought a year ago. A couple of issues I have: 1, sticky rear brakes on rear left (driver) side. Rotor, pads, and caliper was replaced last September, good for a while and problem reoccur. Dealer wanted to replace again. 2, alternator was replaced in Feb 2011. 3, A/C compressor replaced this summer.

Compare to the Ford Escape I owned prior to the KJ, Jeep did very poor job keeping its quality and reliability.

Have you ever had the braking system professionally flushed?
As far as the compressor and alternator, how many miles do you have on your truck?

I don't think Chrysler did a poor job!
There are plenty of KJ's out there with high miles and very few repairs/parts replaced.
Our '04 has 147K and has only needed a water pump, A/C condenser, and just a few days back a new set of power steering hoses.

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Man, you really like Ford, don't you? You have 2 posts and in both you are speaking how Ford Escape is better then KJ :freak3:

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lmao my 02 has had brakes and that is about it and it is sitting at 135k. You just are lucky. Perhaps you need to do more maintenance on you KJ and you will have better lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am a ford guy, well, not as loyal as I was, but still like fords. Up until this KJ, all I ever owned from the first car on was ford. When the wierd ford problems come in, they feed them right to me. I cant knock Jeep, though they have had some engineering brainfarts, so has EVERY car maker, bar none. As for how good escapes are, they arent a bad vehicle, my wife likes them, and for a certain purpose they are great. For what some of us do, they wouldnt last. I can list plenty of common ailments on Escapes though, hotpepper, not to kick you off your horse or anything. The Escape v6, while being a good engine, loves to have intake manifold leaks. Most of the time when they come in with a P171/P174 set, the manifold is coming off due to leaks. They come off every time you do plugs, and/or coils. Had one in this week that paid hansomly, it needed plugs, but the misfire was a bad #3 injector. They love to eat brakes, and their AWD system, you need to stay on top of tire wear, as you do with all AWD systems. Ignore the engine, and let it burn up the cats, they are part of the exhaust manifolds. $3,000 easily for both front cats, done a few of them too! Escapes are a good vehicle, and a great sight to see when they come in the shop,lol. Hows that Liberty lookin now, since if you would of kept the Escape, that was your future.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you asked me how reliable my 04 Liberty was in June I would have said it was very reliable.

However in June I spent $300 on the brakes & another $250 on replacing an upper ball joint and I discovered the oil pan is rotting out and needs replacement. And this week I'm replacing the starter.

It is true isn't?

JEEP means;
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
:pp:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has more to do with where you live, then the vehicle though. Brakes are an expense on any vehicle, and $300 isnt really that bad. Ive estimated alot worse. The oil pan rotting out, thats all on your enviroment sadly. We dont have sodium chloride in the air, or on the roads here, thank god.

SoonerJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 that just rolled 85k.Other than the ball joint recall it's never seen a wrench for other than maintenance. Will soon as water pump is beginnning to leak. Not bad at all.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has more to do with where you live, then the vehicle though. Brakes are an expense on any vehicle, and $300 isn't really that bad. Ive estimated a lot worse. The oil pan rotting out, that's all on your environment sadly. We don't have sodium chloride in the air, or on the roads here, thank god.

The cost for the brakes covered replacement pads all around and two new front rotors. Routine wear & tear.

The upper ball joint failed because it's a lifted Liberty with stock upper control arms. I need to get proper Jeepin by Al UCA's or else I'll be replacing another one within a year.

By the way I did all my own labor. The job would've cost me more if I went to a garage or god help me, a the stealership.

Yes, they do use a lot of salt on our Canadian roads during the winter however the oil pan on my 95 YJ is just fine. It must have to do with the crappy Chinese made oil pans that Chyrsler is using. I understand that the Dodge Durango's have a similar issue with rotting oil pans.

I'm still contemplating how to replace the oil pan. It really looks like I'll have to lift/pull the engine.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 06' Liby Limited, took delivery in March06. The broken things since I had it are 2 window regulators and 1 battery.

I wished I popped for the Cherokee vs Liby.. Would have been a bit more roomy.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably so.. But getting it new for just under 30K then 2 years later the gas went to like $5 a gallon in Hawaii and they started that Cash for Clunker program and all the SUV's plunged in value so my Liby is worth 1/2 what I paid for it.. If I got the Grand Cherokee Limited I would be in the $40K range. The advertised millage is only 1 MPG different. I am sure the 5.7L with the ability to shut cylinders down when not needed would have been more efficient on the highway. I bet that diesel Grand Cherokee does great..

The Liby has some short comings, the rear seat leg room is kinda tight. And the rear cargo area is deceivingly small. But the short wheel base was great for my wife when she took it down to China Town in Honolulu to park in those parking garages..