Jeep Liberty Reliability - how does it compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But do people think this information would be of value, since each vehicle tends to be modified in its own way?

I do agree with you. Each owner has their own value associated with the word modified. To some it's adding some lights but to others its adding 3" lift with lockers all around or converting to SFA....

Modified vehicles can still participate in the reliability surveys. I'm planning to add some broad questions about mods for the reliability surveys, in case their is a strong relationship between mods and repair rates. Currently the survey says not to report repairs caused by mods.

Again I agree here. A modified KJ that is lifted would not sustain the exact under body damage a stock KJ would going over debris that is slightly higher for stock height. Also a modified KJ might bring about more wear/tear to stock parts over a typical non modified KJ.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still sorting out how to handle modified vehicles. I've learned that in some cases mods might even improve reliability, if the original parts were underengineered.

In general, though, most of the repairs people report are not things that could have been caused by mods unless they've been mucking around in the electrical system.

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll put my 04 in it

Ok its in, now what? lol

This survey is a little confusing to me. I dont know how to calculate the l/100km in my head, i never have and it doesnt tell you how.

Last edited:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll put my 04 in it

Ok its in, now what? lol

This survey is a little confusing to me. I dont know how to calculate the l/100km in my head, i never have and it doesnt tell you how.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm going to upgrade the Fuel Economy Survey to make this easier. But all you have to do is take the number of liters you put in, divide by the number of km driven since the last fill-up, then multiply by 100.

On the main Vehicle Reliability Survey, I'm going to start collecting data on the 2004 this month. Maybe the 2005 as well--just need two more signed up.

Auto reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ry', I appreciate it.

Both the 2004 and 2005 are now included in the data collection. They might be included in the next set of results, in February, but this will depend on how many people respond to the surveys.

More people signed up to participate would of course make this more likely.

I recently added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site. People posting common repairs can include a link to a forum thread discussing the problem. I hope this will make it easier for people to find this information, while helping to grow the forums that have been lending a hand with the research.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next set of results in a couple of weeks. So far there haven't been enough responses from Liberty owners to include it.

So if you've signed up but haven't yet responded to the survey, please do so. You can only access the survey by clicking on links in the emails I send out. If you haven't yet signed up, I hope you'll consider doing so. The larger the sample size, the more solid the results.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The February results included nearly 200 model / model year combinations, but not the Liberty. The next update is in May, and I'd really like to include the Liberty in that set.

For the details, and to help make it happen:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have nothing to add to mine since mine isnt breaking lol

I fear this is a common misperception. Actually, participants with no repairs to report are just as necessary as those who have repairs, because the goal is to know the average number of repairs required.

The main difference: if you have no repairs to report, the survey takes VERY little time, as it's just an approximate odometer reading four times a year. If you have a repair to report, there's a one-page survey. Quick, but not as quick as an approximate odometer reading.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To date I have verified no plate numbers with any DMV, because there has been no need to.

So far over 21,000 people have signed up, including a few dozen from this forum. Look around. See anyone even claiming I've misused the information they provided?

I started asking for it because other suspicious people kept saying, "If you can't verify that the cars exist, your results are useless."

Also, some people own two of the same model and year -- need a definite way to tell the two vehicles apart.

So I'm kind of caught between them and you guys. No way to win this one. Best I can do is ask for the plate number and make it optional, but potentially subject to a future request. Which is what I've done.

But then people don't read the "if you don't know it just enter the color of your car" part. And we're back to the responses in this thread...

If anyone is ready to stop posturing about all the evil things I must be doing with the license plates and get on with the task of producing better reliability info, please go here:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be a result for the 2005 in May (with an asterisk for marginal sample size), but it seems not for the 2004 unless more people respond. This is a bit odd, since there are more owners of the 2004 signed up.

If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. I'd really like to have these results in May.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted that result, with an asterisk for marginal sample size. The reported repair rate is low, and certainly better than average. But it's a very rough indicator given the sample size.

I'd like to get rid of that asterisk and report on additional model years. To view the latest results, and sign up to help make this happen (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Reaction score
i have had a recurring problem with a squeak/ groan in the front suspension. the dealer hasnt been able to fix it and i've been twice for it. besides that nuthing

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next update in August. The number of owners signed up is right near the minimum for many years, so it's unclear how many model years--if any--we'll have results for.

A few additional participants per model year could easily make the difference between having a result, and not having one.

To help get your model year included:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll have results for the 2004 and 2005 this month, but asterisked for marginal sample sizes.

I'd like to include more model years and fewer asterisks in the November set of results. Just need more owners to participate.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those results have been posted. Both the 2004 and 2005 have low reported repair rates. But the sample sizes are also marginal, so these results are asterisked and only visible to members on the site itself.

With additional participants, we could provide more precise results and include additional model years.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Latest posts

Members online