Jeep Liberty Reliability - how does it compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Update: Going to start collecting data on the 2005 in November, and perhaps the 2005 as well--just two owners short of the minimum as I type this.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far Ive never had any problems out of my KJ. That doesnt mean Ive not had stuff fixed/had recalls done. Its just never left me on the side of the road. The first time it does(IF), Ill never trust it again. :-s

Mine has had two recalls so far. One for the balljoints and one for the rear window popping open. I believe they had to replace the solenoid that opens the rear window or something like that.

I also had a sensor replaced in the passenger seat b/c the air bag lights was coming on when it was cold(below 40 or so).

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a 2006 Liberty owner ask me when I'm going to start collecting data on these. Unfortunately, this is out of my hands--depends on how soon enough owners sign up to participate.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now just three short of the minimum for the 2004--could start this month if just a few more owners sign up--and the others are also getting closer.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to log in but they wanted my licence plate number to run through motor vehicles. I aborted the log on . I don't know if I feel comfortable with that. I'll think about it.

Dave

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ask for the plate number of two reasons:

--to distinguish between two cars--some people own two of the same car

--to potentially verify that cars exist IF they seem suspicious

To date I have run no one's plate through the DMV. But many people told me I needed some way to verify that vehicles exist if something seems fishy, so there you have it. A license plate is about the most public piece of personal information there is.

People who cannot remember their plate can just enter 99. In this case I reserve the right to ask for the plate number later if there seems a need for it.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to log in but they wanted my licence plate number to run through motor vehicles. I aborted the log on . I don't know if I feel comfortable with that. I'll think about it.

Dave

What do you do about all those people who see your plate everyday out on the road? :)

However, I was hesitant about giving out my plate number online as well. I ended up doing it though after some thought.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you do about all those people who see your plate everyday out on the road? :)

However, I was hesitant about giving out my plate number online as well. I ended up doing it though after some thought.

Seeing your plate on the road is not the issue. I know it's public information. Getting your plate # to run through DMV is............. That is what it is wanted on the website for and why I was hesitant.

I'm thinking about it and just putting 999999 in and see what happens. If I do it, other than the fake licence plate # I have no interest in putting erroneous information on the web site as that would be counterproductive and serve no useful purpose.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to give it a shot and I logged on and left the plate # as 99. I think they need to e-mail the reliability survey...............I'm waiting..

We'll see what happens. I will keep you guys posted and this post will give him a free bump.

Dave

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the free bump:)

You won't receive an email to complete a survey until 25 owners are signed up for your year. The 2004 is currently up to 21, the 2005 up to 19, so close.

So just need a few more owners for each of those years. I don't collect data beforehand because I don't want people to put in the time and effort unless there's a good chance I'll be able to use the data.

There are additional surveys on the site, for repair histories and fuel economy, with no minimum sample. So Liberty owners can participate in those right away.

But if your time is very limited, focus on the main reliability survey.

smitty1938

Reaction score
Come on guys. This is making us look bad. People are going to think our KJ's are so unreliable that we are afraid to sign up. I signed on over a year ago and it is hard to believe that only 18 other 05 owners have signed up. Like the other poster said, thousands of people have access to your license plate by just driving on the street. I have had no problems with mine other than the BJ recall.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL....I'm one of the 2004 model years signed up already. Maybe the marketing campaign is not as strong where it gets out to the general public? I've only seen information about the site 2x's. Both here in the forums.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're seeing most of the marketing campaign. I'm able to offer the results for free to anyone who participates by keeping costs very low. Word of mouth has been building, but not as quickly as I'd like. Even so, I think awareness will be much broader a year from now as results become available on more and more models. Hopefully the KJ soon.

If anyone is worried about the plate, just enter 99 for it. Very likely I'll never need this information--I haven't needed it yet--and if I do I can always ask for it later.

Last edited:

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the definitive differences of a lifted KJ versus a non-lifted KJ in your surveys? For instance, the Economy survey only basis off stock models. So far it's been proven that fuel efficiency and powetrain are affected by lifting our KJ's. Is there a specific section that we can create for modified vehicles? The numbers would be considerably skewed more than typical since a majority of your campaign marketing for KJ's have been on these KJ sites (majority of the folks here are modified if not highly modified).

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the definitive differences of a lifted KJ versus a non-lifted KJ in your surveys? For instance, the Economy survey only basis off stock models. So far it's been proven that fuel efficiency and powetrain are affected by lifting our KJ's. Is there a specific section that we can create for modified vehicles? The numbers would be considerably skewed more than typical since a majority of your campaign marketing for KJ's have been on these KJ sites (majority of the folks here are modified if not highly modified).

Excellent point. I've been asking people not to report fuel economy when they have engine mods beyond intake and exhaust. I've added a bit about ride height (change over an inch) and tire size (over 20mm wider than the largest stock size).

I hate to exclude anyone from a survey, but once the ride height and suspension have been heavily modified the resulting fuel economy data would be difficult to generalize from, as you suggest.

I'd consider collecting fuel economy data on heavily modified vehicles, with a note that they're heavily modified. But do people think this information would be of value, since each vehicle tends to be modified in its own way?

Modified vehicles can still participate in the reliability surveys. I'm planning to add some broad questions about mods for the reliability surveys, in case their is a strong relationship between mods and repair rates. Currently the survey says not to report repairs caused by mods.

Last edited: