Jeep Liberty Reliability - how does it compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI: while replies here are definitely helpful to others, I can only use data submitted through the survey in the analysis.

Updated results next week. We continue to need more participants for the Liberty.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 86, about average--a single response short of the minimum for a full result

2004: 37, better than average, small sample size--result for the 2005 is probably more accurate

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. Falling one response short isn't ideal...

Jeep Liberty reliability comparisons

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
211 Liberty owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years. Just three more owners needed to get the 2007 into the survey, and just six more needed for the 2003.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2003 has been added to the survey, and the 2007 is very close. For all years additional participants would be very helpful.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 88, about average, sample size right at minimum for a full result

2004: 49, better than average, but small sample size

A big thanks, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 161, worse than average, very small sample size and clearly not accurate

2005: 72, about average, sample size one below the minimum for a full result

2004: 47, better than average, but small sample size

A big thanks, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May.

More participants needed to provide precise results and cover all model years.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned last time, need more participants to provide precise results. I'm doing all I can on my end, but the one thing I cannot do myself is provide the data.

Help us provide more precise results for the KJ:

Car reliability research

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought an '04, and i'm already a member...i just added it to my garage...next survey you'll hopefully have 1 more response. :)

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 121, worse than average, small sample size and clearly not accurate

2005: 63, about average

2004: 45, better than average

2002: 80, about average

Adequate sample size for only the 2005. The other results are less precise.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 126, worse than average; common failures of window regulators for the 2006s and 2007s, but not earlier years; also a couple reports of serpentine belt idler pulleys seizing

2005: 49

2004: 57

2002: 69, small sample size

The 2002, 2004, and 2005 are all better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 178, worse than average, very small sample size

2006: 126, worse than average; common failures of window regulators for the 2006s and 2007s, but not earlier; also a couple reports of serpentine belt idler pulleys seizing

2005: 38, better than average

2004: 66, about average

2003: 88, about average

2002: 50, better than average

Decent sample sizes only for the 2004 and 2005, so these are the most precise results.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, how do you factor in a trip to the dealer that is routine maintenance, or complimentary? A lot of people, specially certain makes, make trips to the dealer for anything, and they tend not to think of it as a negative.

Land Rover's for example, most owners take it to the dealer for a ridiculous 115.00 oil change.

just curious.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I signed up for this one or one like it 2 or 3 years back, they bugged me to keep updating it ( even though nothing ever happens to mine) finally stopped answering as it was a huge PITA!!!
145,000 and not one complaint

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, how do you factor in a trip to the dealer that is routine maintenance, or complimentary? A lot of people, specially certain makes, make trips to the dealer for anything, and they tend not to think of it as a negative.

Land Rover's for example, most owners take it to the dealer for a ridiculous 115.00 oil change.

just curious.

Routine maintenance doesn't count. All reported repairs are reviewed to check that they fall within the guidelines (not maintenance, not a preventive repair due to a recall, not a listed wear item, etc.).

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I signed up for this one or one like it 2 or 3 years back, they bugged me to keep updating it ( even though nothing ever happens to mine) finally stopped answering as it was a huge PITA!!!
145,000 and not one complaint

I'm very sorry that this has been your experience. As noted at the bottom of each email, simply reply with "unsubscribe" and your account will be deactivated. Perhaps you've done this already.

I cannot assume that no response means no repair, since some people won't respond either way. But if you've had no repair, all that's asked for is an approximate odometer reading four times a year. This takes most people well under a minute.

This said, I am aware that some people find even a one minute survey four times a year to be a huge PITA. In this case, as much as additional participants would help it's probably best not to sign up.

Members online

No members online now.