Jeep Liberty Reliability - how does it compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lashlarue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 Cherokee Sport gave me 6years and 93,000 miles of trouble free service. I ran mobil one, k&n, and platinum plugs.Still had original battery and belts when I traded it. My 07 Liberty Sport will have 24 months on it in two weeks, once again zero problems and better mileage than my Cherokee.Mobil one, K&N and a magnaflow catback.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
73,300 miles with no major problems and nothing has broke yet besides the window I shattered bc I was welding in the middle of winter :rolleyes:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated results recently posted. No owners have reported a repair yet for the 2004 Liberty. But the sample size is small, and clearly some require repair. Still, the repair rate clearly isn't high.

For the 2005, owners reported a repair rate of 41 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, which is better than average. The sample size was again small.

Insufficient data on other model years.

Additional participants needed to provide precise results for all model years.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very close to that update. Sample sizes have been marginal for the Liberty, so additional participants would be very helpful.

If you've already signed up but haven't responded to the survey yet using the links in the emails we send for it, please do so.

Car reliability research

MKay

Reaction score
my 02 has done 56000miles without ever having a service. its had the ball joints replaced on recall and needed a new battery in 07 but thats it. original fluids, sarkplugs everything.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd at least change out the coolant every three years. Not sure what's necessary for the rest.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year for the Jeep Liberty:

2004: 9, better than average; too low to be accurate

2005: 63, about average

Both results are based on marginal sample sizes, so they are asterisked and only visible to members or the site itself. With larger sample sizes the first result would certainly be higher.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With additional participants we could provide more precise results and include all model years.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the Jeep Liberty:

Jeep Liberty reliability comparisons

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
x2, except mine's an 05!!!!

Gotta love it!
It's been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned!
Except... My check engine light just came on two day's ago...
Turns out the the pump jockey didn't put the gas cap on properly!
Mean while I'm thinking...
What now? :confused:
Lambda sensor?:(
How many and how much?:mad:
Then it went out today! :)

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree

My 02 has never, NEVER left me stranded.

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nary a hiccup, nor a rattle or buzz in 7 years. And the streets of Brooklyn/NYC metro area are pretty rough. I am extremely happy I bought this truck.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

This week we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants, with public results in May.

If you have signed up but haven't responded to the survey yet, please do. Every single response improves the accuracy of our results.

If you haven't signed up yet, please consider doing so. Details here:

SUV reliability research

Last edited: