Anyone use these guys for replacement engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it is finally over its growing pains and turns into a fine ride for you. :cheers:

I think it is getting closer. Not quite there yet though!

Sitting on pins & needles yet? ;)

Yeah, About that! LOL (banghead) <<That's how I'm feeling right now.

I may check the spark plugs in the AM myself to see what they look like.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... Been trying to diagnose this all weekend. Bought 6 new spark plugs, NGK Copper type. No help. (Engine builder sent Autolite Platinums.) Swapped fuel injectors with no. 1 cylinder. No help. Using a noid light, I tested the wire for the fuel injector. When I start the engine, the first couple flashes are nice and bright, then they get dimmer. I tried cyl no. 1 and the same thing. I thought maybe an electrical issue. Went and had battery tested. Failed! Replaced battery and it was not the problem either. Thing is, if I clear the code, I can drive it for miles without throwing a code, but then if I stop and shut off the engine after 15 minutes or so, then I throw a code. It seems that the computer runs on default settings for a while and then adjusts, because the idle also lowers at this time. After resetting, it runs 750 or so, and after the 15 minutes, it goes to 600ish. That's where I throw a code. Could it be that the alternator is just not charging properly causing a low amperage situation? It seems like when I throw my battery charger on the battery and also run the engine, it won't throw a code then either. Like when I run for 15 minutes and then restart it it throws a code, but if I put the charger in first for a few minutes, then no code. I really am at a loss here.

I think I will be suggesting that they take it to the dealer tomorrow, or give me my money back and I'll buy something else somewhere else.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with all of the talk on the right plugs on here, I made sure I put in the ones that have been recommended.

My Jeep is at Chrysler now. We dropped it off this morning. They can't get to it until at least Wednesday. Glad I bought another truck. I am leaving Thursday morning at 6am.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just hate to see someone throwing money away when you already had a good set of plugs provided for you.
Some only " recommend NGKs " since that is a factory plug.
Mines had 5 sets of Champions and one set of Autolites with no issues
but carry on and good luck

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya'all are funny. On a number of threads I read, ONLY USE NGKs and NEVER use Autolites or Champions, and now that I follow what was more than a recommendation, and not by one but by many, I get told, Oh what you had were fine, I hate to see you waste your money Autolites are fine. No big deal. I still have the old Autolites. I can keep them in the truck, just in case I need one, or put them back in at 30,000 miles. After all they only have about 300 miles on them.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya'all are funny. On a number of threads I read, ONLY USE NGKs and NEVER use Autolites or Champions, and now that I follow what was more than a recommendation, and not by one but by many, I get told, Oh what you had were fine, I hate to see you waste your money Autolites are fine. No big deal. I still have the old Autolites. I can keep them in the truck, just in case I need one, or put them back in at 30,000 miles. After all they only have about 300 miles on them.

I'm sorry man. I learned that the hard way myself when I was diagnosing a problem I had a while back. But once I replaced my autolites with ngks and it didn't correct the problem I put my autolites back in. My problem turned out to be o2 sensors and those had to be oem. But plugs are cheap and at least now you know.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Chrysler will fix my Jeep today! They have it scheduled for today anyway. It's been there since Monday morning. We leave for Reno tomorrow. Not driving the Jeep. Going to take the Explorer.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are Platinum plugs, not copper. Are they no good, or are they good? Why don't the Jeep like them? I have run them in every other vehicle I've owned with no problems.
The KJ's ignition system is designed for copper core plugs(resistor type).Changing to platinum or iridium changes the resistance in the system which causes unwanted problems and early failure.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the platinum, not copper cored Autolites. No issues at all. My engine idles and runs smoother with them than with the coppers. Out of curiousity though, are you saying the plugs themselves will fail earlier or something else? I change plugs every year but I put a lot of miles on my KJ. I didn't take pictures of them the last time I changed them, but they didn't even look worn. A friend of mine has a Grand Cherokee that he put iridium plugs in. Because of the people on here saying to use the copper cores only, I told him it probably wasn't a good idea to run the iridiums. We pulled the plugs out of his that day and the plugs looked good. We put a scope down in all the cylinders and nothing looked bad there either. But if there's something I should be looking out for I'd love to know. As I said before I know some things need to be OEM but this is one of the ones that I'm not sure as to why.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I ran Bosch Platinum+4 for over 70k and just put the NGK coppers back in. The old plugs looked fine with very little wear if any and the good "residue" on 5 of them (#1 plug was a bit iffy). I immediately noticed a smoother idle and I think it starts better. My gas mileage went from about 12-13 mpg (city) to a little over 15. Nothing bad happened with the plats but seems better now.

Just my observations.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the platinum, not copper cored Autolites. No issues at all. My engine idles and runs smoother with them than with the coppers. Out of curiousity though, are you saying the plugs themselves will fail earlier or something else? I change plugs every year but I put a lot of miles on my KJ. I didn't take pictures of them the last time I changed them, but they didn't even look worn. A friend of mine has a Grand Cherokee that he put iridium plugs in. Because of the people on here saying to use the copper cores only, I told him it probably wasn't a good idea to run the iridiums. We pulled the plugs out of his that day and the plugs looked good. We put a scope down in all the cylinders and nothing looked bad there either. But if there's something I should be looking out for I'd love to know. As I said before I know some things need to be OEM but this is one of the ones that I'm not sure as to why.
There harder on the coils.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Chrysler has the intake off and found oil in the cylinder and intake valve. Looks like it is a bad valve guide or possibly ring alignment. They are working with the warranty department to decide how to proceed. This is a timely process. Anyway, at least we were all correct that it came down to mechanical, and that the electrical and fuel were good. Although, I had doubts about the electrical, but that was due to my own high expectations that the engine would not be flawed right out of the box.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cherrie! I'm sad too. It is coming up on 2 months without my Libby and I miss it.

CJ, Yes it does! Couldn't have said it better myself.