Anyone use these guys for replacement engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to Ed the mechanic. He said he drove it about 70 miles Tuesday night. Drove it all over and on different road conditions. (Hills, flat, paved, and dirt.) Never did get it to throw another code, so he sent the computers off to get programmed. Just waiting now to get them back, and I should be good to go. Then I'll check the alternator and see if the bearing is going out, and then may get it replaced or rebuilt depending on how much time I have to break it in before my trip.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to diagnose the mystery sound. I am going to try spinning the alternator with the belt off first, to see if the bearing sounds bad. What else can I try? I am going to fix this issue myself. The dealer has done more than enough. IMO

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the belt off, run the engine for a moment. If the sound is gone, it's one of the belt driven accessories. Then you gotta go scouting around checking each pulley by hand and ear. You can usually feel and/or hear when a bearing is bad.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks! I'll try it and post a video if I still need help. Probably should anyway, just for reference to other members. It is really loud.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here it is the 19th already and still no Jeep. We'll see if tommudd's prediction of receiving it on the 19th is correct. When he made that prediction I hoped he was wrong, now I hope he is right. This sure has been an ordeal. At least now we have my wife's Explorer to take on the trip if the Jeep doesn't get here in time. We may take it anyway. It is a little bigger, and sure is comfortable. 3 of us in the family a pretty large people. I weigh 300lbs, my 23 yr old son weighs about 250 at 6'+, and my wife is a little 5'2" roley poley. Our other two kids are skinny underfed little devils that won't sit still for longer than it takes to get out of the driveway, so this should be an adventure.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you. You should have bought a limo, with thick insulated walls. That "privacy glass" would sure come in handy on a road trip. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here it is the 19th already and still no Jeep. We'll see if tommudd's prediction of receiving it on the 19th is correct. When he made that prediction I hoped he was wrong, now I hope he is right. This sure has been an ordeal. At least now we have my wife's Explorer to take on the trip if the Jeep doesn't get here in time. We may take it anyway. It is a little bigger, and sure is comfortable. 3 of us in the family a pretty large people. I weigh 300lbs, my 23 yr old son weighs about 250 at 6'+, and my wife is a little 5'2" roley poley. Our other two kids are skinny underfed little devils that won't sit still for longer than it takes to get out of the driveway, so this should be an adventure.

Yep....tried to tell you how long it would take....
although sorry for you that it did Hopefully it will come home finally today/ tomorrow
I should of got a bet going with everyone trying to guess the day and time :icon_rolleyes:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, They called and said the part is supposed to be in tomorrow. Let's see if they get it in before closing or will I have to wait until Friday? Or Monday? Hell why not the day after I am supposed to be back from Reno? At this point I wouldn't bet on any day. Aaaargh! I'm so tired of waiting. I sure hope this will end it though. I haven't told them I have a back up plan, and I don't intend to either.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went down and they still hadn't received ECM yet. They called who will be bringing it and he said he has it on his desk and will drive it out tomorrow for sure. I told the mechanic not to leave before it was done tomorrow. He said "I promise, I will get it finished tomorrow!" We'll see! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is as crossed as I can get 'em:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Dude's got some hairy hands...) :icon_eek:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my Libby back.

I took a road trip for a 100 mile round trip. Used 5.335 gal for an average MPG of 18.74. 10% was city. The check engine light never came on, but Ed the mechanic let me take his OBDII code scanner home with me, and he told me to drive it with it linked. At the half way mark there were no codes. I stopped and went into a store and bought some snow chains for the Reno trip, and when I came out, I synced the reader, and then started it up. It threw a code. P0303 again. I cleared the code and drove it home without idling it. Luckily I hit all green lights. Then I stopped and got gas. I had no codes, and then turned off the engine. I synced the reader again and started it back up. It threw the same code again. The check engine light never came on. With the code coming up, why wouldn't the check engine light come on?

Also, it is idling rougher than any vehicle I have ever owned. It is idling at 600RPM again. If I give it just the tiniest bit of gas, it smooths right out. I think for now I am going to have to call it good. The engine now has 232 miles on it. What would you do? I think I'll run a full tank of gas through it, aprox 300 miles, and change the oil and I'll be ready for the trip.

Besides the rough idle, it runs great! LOTS of power and near 20 MPG on the 101 Pacific coast Hwy, with all of the hills and curves, that is way better than I expected to see. I would be willing to bet I get closer to 21 MPG when I get to the interstate.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you... I found the whine problem. I changed the alternator, started the engine for 5 seconds, and it was still there. I went back and returned the alternator, and bought the two pulleys on the tensioner. $40 bucks, and three minutes later, I had her licked. It was the smooth pulley's bearing. The grooved one was still good, but figured I may as well replace them as a pair. Now it runs as quiet as a lamb. :Hump::Hump::Hump:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope it is finally over its growing pains and turns into a fine ride for you. :cheers:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, not that one again! Your 303 is a pending code from an intermittent fault. It's monitored, and if that fault doesn't occur again within a certain number of run cycles, the code will be cleared. But if that fault keeps coming up continuously (a certain number of times, don't ask me how many), then it will become a trouble code and the check engine light will get tripped. Sitting on pins & needles yet? ;)