Why does the KJ Renegade have side steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've given this a lot of thought and can't come up with an answer.

As you know, the Renegade is supposed to be the KJ's off-road "edition" the same way the Limited is supposed to be the KJ's "luxury" edition. What I can't understand is why many Renegades came from the factory with side steps. Wouldn't these steps be detrimental when off-roading in that they reduce ground clearance? If the Renegade is lifted higher than the Limited or Sport (therefore requiring a side step), it certainly can't be by much (or else I think I would have noticed it.) What gives?

Also, if I ever decide to get some side steps for my Limited, how hard are they to install?

Thanks.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I gathered the Renegade isn't any higher than any other KJ. I always thought the Renegade was just a "looks" package. I removed my factory rock rails and installed a set of Mopar black tube steps. I needed daily function over off road function. They were pretty easy to install. A few hours tops, and that is only because I didn't have the right drill bits.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A Renegade for the most part is cosmetics....the alternators had a higher rating, but other than that, they were a re badged Limited or Sport. :)

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once thought the Renegade was more of an "appearance" package, too. However, doesn't the Renegade come with:

1) tow hooks?
2) skid plates?
3) a rear locker?

All of these, in my opinion, are functional as opposed to cosmetic.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the only advantage to the renegade is the roof lights, better alternator, and I think most come with skid plates.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
No KJ came with a locker. A rear limited slip diff (LSD) was available in any model. Same with tow hooks & skids: It was part of the off-road package.

An LSD may have been standard on early Rene's, I donta know, but I think it went away from the package around '05 or so? (dunno)

Rene's are no higher than any other KJ. In '05 at least, the standard tire was the 225/75/16 very street-biased Wrangler ST with the 235/70/16 SR-A as an option. These are the same options you had on a Sport.

Except for the roof lights, all of the "functional" items in the above posts were available as options on the other models.

Last edited:

Boiler

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my 2005 only came with the bumper mounted fogs, tow hooks, and the bolt looking fender flares, and the rocker guards. no skids, i believe standard alternator, and definitely no locker. Not even limited slip!

They arent side steps, least mine arent, they are rocker guards. Similar to skink sliders but about 1/8th as strong.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No KJ came with a locker. A rear limited slip diff (LSD) was available in any model. Some with tow hooks & skids: It was part of the off-road package.

An LSD may have been standard on early Rene's, I donta know, but I think it went away from the package around '05 or so? (dunno)

I was the same thing....did early Rene's come with Trac Loc for the rear???:confused:

Hooks/skids were also standard on most...

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I was told the '02-'04's Rene's had trac-loc as standard. My sis-in-law has an '05 Rene that does not.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Renegade didn't come with side steps, but it did come with the rocker guards. If you've got side steps that means that someone put them there. Whether it be previous owner or dealership.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what every KJ should of came with

You must be registered for see images attach

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the nerf bars, running boards, rock rails, none of them reduce ground clearance anyway. Why??

Take a look at a KJ with any of these installed, sit on the ground and look across the bottom, ok whats lower?? A lot more stuff than those bars.

The only argument i have against them is in the winter when you go through deep snow it causes more drag and its something that can get hung up when you sink in to the snow. Of course the same could be said of mud as well... But ground clearance, the distance from the ground to the bars, is more than everything else underneath anyway.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In my opinion the nerf bars, running boards, rock rails, none of them reduce ground clearance anyway. Why??

Take a look at a KJ with any of these installed, sit on the ground and look across the bottom, ok whats lower?? A lot more stuff than those bars.

The only argument i have against them is in the winter when you go through deep snow it causes more drag and its something that can get hung up when you sink in to the snow. Of course the same could be said of mud as well... But ground clearance, the distance from the ground to the bars, is more than everything else underneath anyway.

True, but it does lower your rocker panel area clearance, and the KJ barely has any of that as it is. Along with the WJ, WK, MK, I could go on and on...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I already had them, a bit less clearance would be fine since I'd be getting more protection though....:)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but it does lower your rocker panel area clearance, and the KJ barely has any of that as it is. Along with the WJ, WK, MK, I could go on and on...

Ok, good point...

Rocker clearance isn't my concern though, its overall ground clearance for getting through those snow drifts here! If the whole bottom of the vehicle is sitting on the snow bank it doesn't matter.

But, i can see how that would be a concern out on the rocky trails, but they your going to want those rock rails to protect the rocker panels anyway.