Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boueux

Reaction score
New to forum [many thanks all around] and about to take over stewardship of a 2006 KJ Renegade.
I should probably start out with tires to replace the Wrangler SRAs .. all suggestions appreciated, gas mileage friendly tires a plus but All Terrains do limit that some I know Nothing huge, but a little bigger wouldn’t hurt anything except the wallet, right? What will fit?

Interested in what anyone can share with me about Navigation systems. There is very likely a better nav option in 2023… 2024 than the RD4 for the KJ? I’d like to avoid cutting the dash.. which may or may not be too limiting, but trying to keep it closer to stock. Would also like a backup camera. Not asking too much am I? Any chance RD4 allows backup cam mod?
Anyone have a source for seat foam? Drivers side is always first to go… no problem finding covers, but foam is another thing.. the left side of cushion is toast, now.

Have been searching and reading past post re stereo radio backup cam headlight fog light seat projects and mods and appreciating the pioneers who came before, basking in the shared wisdom. Thanks and Kudos.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insane Audio makes a bolt in (except for the steering wheel audio controls if you have them but they can be made to work) head unit but it seems they are out of stock/backordered or having supply chain issues. TJ4001: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/insane-audio-head-unit-tj4001/_/R-GSNS-TJ4001
I have its direct predecessor the TJ1002:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's an Android unit, so you can fully customize it with whatever apps you want to use. The newer one supposedly has a slightly larger screen but also has a newer processor. It is pricey but not hacking up the dash and direct compatibility with the OEM Infinity system were requirements in addition to cam capability.

Boueux

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your time in, I do. I’m confused though by the molded step out below it.. and the arched dash above it.. is that a store display or is this not a first gen KJ 2002-2007? Im trying to find something that lights up less rather than more, call me bonkers but thats another part of the basis of my interest in the stock stuff.

Here’s a picture of the one she came with.. as well as a little more info on what the Svc Manual shows

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 7

Boueux

Reaction score
Here are 2006 Service Manual images

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpeg
    IMG_3461.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3462.jpeg
    IMG_3462.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
Insane Audio makes a bolt in (except for the steering wheel audio controls if you have them but they can be made to work) head unit but it seems they are out of stock/backordered or having supply chain issues.
Err— they don’t call’em InsaneAudio for nuthin, haha. That‘s gotta go into tires here first, though it does look very effective.

https://www.carid.com/insane-audio/...le-din-digital-media-receiver-mpn-tj1002.html TJ1002 still in stock..

though this shows TJ4001 as discontinued.. https://trailrecon.com/insane-audio-5in-head-unit--tj-tj4001.html

Boueux

Reaction score
Here’s a more affordable Jeep dash install that will includes GPS navigation , allows for dash and backup camera use, even a WiFi OBD sensor.. for 1999-2007 Liberty model years As well as others.. This site also has a number of other Jeep options.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your time in, I do. I’m confused though by the molded step out below it.. and the arched dash above it.. is that a store display or is this not a first gen KJ 2002-2007? Im trying to find something that lights up less rather than more, call me bonkers but thats another part of the basis of my interest in the stock stuff.

Here’s a picture of the one she came with.. as well as a little more info on what the Svc Manual shows
Don't get hung up on the surround (its an 03 Ram, same head unit style). The newer style stuff (touch screen) has ruined me for the old versions that you have to use strictly buttons and teeny joysticks for.

Here’s a more affordable Jeep dash install that will includes GPS navigation , allows for dash and backup camera use, even a WiFi OBD sensor.. for 1999-2007 Liberty model years As well as others.. This site also has a number of other Jeep options.

I've seen similar....actually looks like they copied the faceplate design lol. Here's my thing with the cheapy units, hence why I didn't get one:
1. Almost always cheaper quality/build wise
2. Generally no tech support (or very poor) after the fact. Insane's is very good. Like calling and sitting on the phone with you.
3. From that link: "You need to buy the "Axxess CHTO-02" amplifier interface and splice the wires manually if the car is equipped with a factory-installed premium audio system, for example, Boston, Infinity, BOSE, etc. We do not sell this item, you can buy it from your local car audio shop or market(for example Amazon or eBay)." Already not compatible if you have premium system.

Yeah I would have loved a cheaper unit, thankfully I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards saved up. Between the compatibility and tech support, I'm happy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.