Why does the KJ Renegade have side steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The rails on the renegade aren't actually rails.
Its supposed to be a a rack type thing that you put stuff down inside of it.

The rails ARE there on an '02-'04 Renegade.

The basket goes on top of them.

Those so called "beefier" roof rails are actually weaker then the base roof rails(65lbs compared to 150lbs).

Yup. They're just bigger. :) Bigger doesn't make them stronger!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good stuff was optional.....

I'm holding my window sticker in my hand and it looks like all the good stuff WAS optional. My 05 Renegade came with a Trac-Lok rear axle and 3.73 gears for a measely $405 (about $30 US in '05) The 160 Amp alternator, bumper mount fog lights (Hellas) and the "rock protection sill rails" were standard on my KJ. I went out of pocket for all the skid plates. The plates were ridiculous easy to install. All the holes were already there, surprise, surprise, why didn't the factory put them on for me??? My KJ also came equiped with the Customer Preferred Package 28X (trailer towing pack which scored me P/S cooler, eng oil cooler, big-a$$ trans cooler and beefier rad) all must haves in northern Canada!!! It also states 29mpg highway. So, if yours came with something else I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, they did state 29mpg!

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rails on the renegade aren't actually rails.
Its supposed to be a a rack type thing that you put stuff down inside of it.

i have noticed some of the renies have black plastic roof rack things that look god awful, and then very few (dealer can't bring up a pic of mine) have the silver tubes like mine
You must be registered for see images
are mine flimsy ones too? i bolted the angle iron with ubolts, and got them pretty tight with no distortion, and i did stand on them with minor creaking noise at first, but the seemed solid. i weigh 212lbs.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The manual states that these (pic) are rated for 65lbs... luckily my canoe comes in well under the mark :).
I have always wondered however, the Renegades with the molded plastic add-on... they don't have these aluminum rails underneath do they? Are there not 2 different Renegade rails/sub structures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online