what's the best passenger side cv axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals- many years of wheeling with rubicons have taken their toll...lol... and i broke a passenger side CV axle. It rattles like a tin can.

that is no surprise to me - I have a front DTT and I am running 4.10s and a 3.5 inch lift- and I have had the factory MOPAR CV for many years. last year it went pop and was replaced with a rebuilt CV . that did not go well at all. So now I am looking for a passenger side CV that will last. (btw- driver side cv is 18 years old mopar).

I have googled high and low and it is my understanding that there is a LOT of junk out there. also- MOPAR has discontinued the CV's. JBA no longer have those in stock.

Also - I am not an american and i don't know how good are many CV brands that you have- it's not like bilstein and K&N make cv's. and for some reason I can't buy any NAPA stuff - it's blocked. however i do buy lots of stuff from rockauto, ebay, summit racing,Amazon atc. so i am sorry if you probably heard this question lots of times but there are some products (NAPA) I can't purchase even if i wanted to.

This Jeep is not my daily driver, and I need something that will not leave me stranded in the middle of the dessert. From what I see there are some brands that are too cheap to even be considered. Considering the way my kj is built (rock crawler/overlander) which brand would be better?:

TRAKMOTIVE
Detroit steel
CARDONE
OMIX ADA
CROWN

also - any other ideas will be welcome. willing to spend up to 300$ for a good cv (I have to pay for shipping too)

there it is 1 minute before it went bang......

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Its been a while since I've been on here. I've built many models of Jeeps since the last time and now I have come back with another 2006 Liberty in my shop stall. To answer your question, because I just rebuilt both axles and added a suspension lift. I decided to go with Rockauto's Trakmotive shafts. I did both driver and passenger side since I rebuilt everything up front. They have some differences vise your stock CV shafts in a better way so I decided to give them a try. If your doing a passenger side only I would stick to an OEM type CV shaft and don't forget about your half shaft (intermediate shaft) on that side. I replaced my half shaft as well since everything going back in was all new. Replacing the half shaft when replacing the passenger CV shaft is good maintenance practice since you have it all apart. Plus the half shaft could potentially be adding to the problem as well. The half shafts are getting more difficult to find for sale. I do like these Trakmotive shafts because of the range of motion they allow in both vertical travel and horizontal travel.

Last edited:

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I was not sure what to get-and I will probably break it at some point- I ordered 2. I hope none of those says "made in china".....

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2006 JEEP LIBERTY 3.7L V6
CARDONE 663352 (66-3352) CV Axle $ 63.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 63.79
TRAKMOTIVE AM8005 (AM-8005) CV Axle $ 48.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 48.89

Carrier may collect duty and tax upon delivery

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 31 hits on Ebay searching for: inner axle shaft 2007 jeep liberty. Sometimes the outer shaft comes with the inner shaft attached for free, like: This One

car-part.com has also 30+ pages of used ones - again choose axle shaft, then front axle, RH, inner

Granted all of these are used, but they are OEM so they are the right size, and on Car-Part.com you can often see the miles on the original donor vehicle's odometer if you browse the pictures.

Back in 2013 I had a right hand CV go bad, and went the above route (used cv and intermediate shaft from a low mileage donor with rear end collision damage). My Liberty now has more than 212,000 miles on it, been 4" lifted for 152,000 miles, and it's still fine. Also, the left CV is still original.

Last edited:

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
what did you search for? I didn't find anything other than CV Joints. The intermediate shaft didn't show up any way I searched.
Try this in your search “Crown Automotive 5066057AB Axle Shaft Fits 02-07 Liberty” it’s one I’ve kept on my watch list

scbison

Reaction score
I got 31 hits on Ebay searching for: inner axle shaft 2007 jeep liberty. Sometimes the outer shaft comes with the inner shaft attached for free, like: This One

car-part.com has also 30+ pages of used ones - again choose axle shaft, then front axle, RH, inner

Granted all of these are used, but they are OEM so they are the right size, and on Car-Part.com you can often see the miles on the original donor vehicle's odometer if you browse the pictures.

Back in 2013 I had a right hand CV go bad, and went the above route (used cv and intermediate shaft from a low mileage donor with rear end collision damage). My Liberty now has more than 212,000 miles on it, been 4" lifted for 152,000 miles, and it's still fine. Also, the left CV is still original.
I agree. I have found lots of used options. The post a few days ago was a request to find a new one. I just happened to see this post today that mentioned finding a new one. I don't need one at this point but I spent an hour or two trying to solve this puzzle earlier this week just for the hunt and came up negative on all options except for 1 possible unit in a warehouse in TN with no way to get it.

In this post, like others, the comment was made that if you replace CV joints, outer axles you should replace the intermediate shaft also. I'm not sure that is an option anymore.

YleKyote

Reaction score
Am-Autoparts.com, $60ish, 10 year warranty.
Carparts.com & 1AAUTO.COM $75 to $85 and Lifetime Warranty.
Both have free to very cheap shipping.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both cv axles are here- cardone and trakmotive. cardone says "made in china". trakmotive does not say.

Funny story- In the USA you have tons of liberty's so when a part is discontinued you have a problem cause there are 1000s of folks who need it. In ISRAEL - we have like 100 liberty's left (and a sihtload of wranglers) so any part is there for the taking...it has been sitting for 4 to 10 years at the shop cause no one wanted to buy it anyway. and since there is no demand it's on sale. got it for 800 shekels - that's about 210 dollars.

Last edited: